SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : The law - The Gospel

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 Next Page )
PosterThread
ArtB

New York

Re: The law - The Gospel

Many excellent posts in this thread.

2012/1/15 17:35Profile
jimp

Re:

hi, the law is the leaven that leavens the whole lump and makes grace of no strength.

2012/1/15 18:27Profile
Sidewalk

San Diego

Re: Regarding The Law of God

What is the spirit of the Psalmist in Psalm 119?

The longest psalm, and it is the love song of a man who lived long before "the Gospel." It is not the wailing of a man trapped in the confines of the law, but one whose heart is in great liberty as he appreciates the eternal value of the law, he has learned to live the law of God from his inmost being- but more than that he is able to see the law for what it really is, the transcript of the character of God.

That's a glimpse of the reason Jesus said He came not to abolish the law, but to fulfill it. Psalm 119 is His love song, because having the character of God was His highest pursuit.

Actually, the gospel can't function without the law. Without the law, the gospel becomes emotional chaos- no standards for righteousness, no walls, no way to aspire to holiness, no sense to the death and resurrection of the Savior.

Yes to the salient points in Galatians, no man is justified by pursuing perfection in the law, good works cannot supplant Christ's atonement. But God expects, and reasonably so, that His children be obedient to all the standards in the ten commandments. In Deuteronomy 30:11 and again in Romans 10, the law is not too hard for you.

It comes back to the character quality of a repentant heart. When you transgress, He demands you repent, turn away from your sin, and do the righteousness that demonstrates here and in heaven that you are being transformed into the image of Christ.

Just do it, as Nike would say.

Think about the words of Jesus to the woman taken in adultery: "Go and sin no more."

Was this just a platitude, or did the the King of Glory have a reasonable expectation that she would stop sinning?

The law of God is so holy, He Himself has no authority to violate it. Be clear when you teach others that they are no longer under the law that if they violate the law- they are back under it and the guilt they have is God calling them to fresh repentance.

He is looking for holy people with His law written on their hearts.

2012/1/15 21:39Profile
jimp

Re:

dear sidewalk, do a bible study in galations...it will bless you

2012/1/15 23:03Profile
Sree

Re:

Quote:

James 2: 12-13
Speak and act as those who are going to be judged by the law that gives freedom, because judgment without mercy will be shown to anyone who has not been merciful. Mercy triumphs over judgment.

What is the "law that brings freedom"?

Matthew 11-28:-
“Come to Me, all who are weary and heavy-laden, and I will give you rest. Take My yoke upon you and learn from Me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and YOU WILL FIND REST FOR YOUR SOULS. For My yoke is easy and My burden is light.”

Law of Liberty is exactly discribed by Jesus in Matthew 11-28. As Christians we need to walk like how Jesus walked and to obey his commands. But this commands does not become a yoke upon us like how the laws of Moses became to Jews. It will be easy and light like how Jesus Promises us.
So if a person is a true born again believer then he will find the commands and teachings of Jesus as easy and light and pleasure to keep. We do not keep the exact law but the requirements (spirit) of the law by the power of Holy Spirit living inside us. If anyone believes he cannot keep it and it will be a burden then he lacks faith and is not saved.

Look at Pauls faith:- Philippians 4-13
I can do all things [i]through Him who strengthens me.

So even keeping the spirit of the Law should be possible by faith in Jesus, if anyone feels he cannot then he is lacking faith.

For all those who support the Original poster of this thread, ask him whether a believer has to keep the commands of Jesus, he will say no as he believes that the teaching of Jesus are OT.

2012/1/16 14:25Profile
ArtB

New York

Re:

Quote:
Sree wrote: "For all those who support the Original poster of this thread, ask him whether a believer has to keep the commands of Jesus, he will say no as he believes that the teaching of Jesus are OT."

And he happens to be correct.

Jesus was born a Jew, and all Jews were under the Mosaic Covenant with 613 Laws, and all laws have judgement and penalties to suffer for each Law that one failed to keep.

Thus Jesus lived His entire life under the Mosaic Law. If Jesus failed on even one point of the Law, Jesus would no longer be the Lamb Of God whose shed blood on the cross takes away all our sins.

During Jesus entire life from birth to His death on the cross, Jesus was a Jew and therefore obligated to keep the entire Mosaic law. And Jesus did keep the entire Mosaic Law. Do you agree with this Sree?

I'll assume you said 'Yes'.

So what is the New Covenant of Jesus Christ?

And when does the New Covenant come into existence?

Do you believe Christians are under both Covenants?

If not, When was the Mosaic Covenant annihlated?

Keep in mind that the word Covenant in Hebrew has the same meaning as our English word 'Contract'.

2012/1/16 18:51Profile
Sidewalk

San Diego

Re: Galatians

Thank you jimP.

There is no book in the Bible, no passage that is not full of more revelation than what I have. Believe me, this book has not escaped my study. Do you have something in mind that God has shown you in Galatians that might be that blessing for me?

(It's the Sunday school teacher in me- I want to know what you are seeing!)

2012/1/16 20:36Profile
Oracio

Whittier CA USA

Re: The law actually provides a license to sin

Post deleted due to "fleshly" harshness detected afterward. My sincere apologies to any who may have been offended by it.

2012/1/16 21:37Profile

Re:

I can't keep silent on this good one.
Oracio, I've always appreciated your posts and those of others that are standing strong in defense of the Whole counsel of GOD.
It's going to get much harder - for all - regardless of anyone's present stand and why I wish that we could all see the need to stand together now - for that strength in numbers, love and unity.
If we could only read the whole of His Word and nothing else for a while. Even if we just cover the whole of merely the N.T. with a fine tooth comb this year - how great would that be.
I just feel very convicted that HE 'is' The Word of GOD.

Thank you and others for appreciating the only 'Living' ['zoe'] Word.

2012/1/16 21:57
Christinyou

Ca.

Re:

Sidewalk wrote: Quote: """But God expects, and reasonably so, that His children be obedient to all the standards in the ten commandments. In Deuteronomy 30:11 and again in Romans 10, the law is not too hard for you."""\

God also knew that no man could keep the Law perfect, except Jesus Christ the Son of God. Thus the death of the Law. That is why even before the foundation of the World the Lamb was slain. God in His love and mercy by His Grace sent His only begotton Son into the world not to condemn it but to save it. That is why we are free from the Law of the old testament, I am sure Galations will uphold this truth in Christ Jesus who has been born again in all those that believe, that He is the Son of God.

This is that fulfillment of the Word of God; Colossians 1:25-29 Whereof I am made a minister, according to the dispensation of God which is given to me for you, to fulfil the word of God; Even the mystery which hath been hid from ages and from generations, but now is made manifest to his saints: To whom God would make known what is the riches of the glory of this mystery among the Gentiles; which is Christ in you, the hope of glory: Whom we preach, warning every man, and teaching every man in all wisdom; that we may present every man perfect in Christ Jesus: Whereunto I also labour, striving according to his working, which worketh in me mightily.

His working in us, not the Law killing us by the letter, which Jesus kept perfectly. How can we now depend on our own flesh to keep and defend the Law. We cannot.

We were in Him when He was crucified and all our sin put Him on that Cross, now He is the only One that can give us life and "this life is in the Son" 1 John 5:11-12

My death on the Cross in Him has set me free from the condemnation of all the Law and Now I can only hope to keep any simulance of righteousness by He that is in me.

1 Cor 1:30 He is my righteousness.

Galatians 2:19-21 For I through the law am dead to the law, that I might live unto God. I am crucified with Christ: nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me: and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by the faith of the Son of God, who loved me, and gave himself for me. I do not frustrate the grace of God: for if righteousness come by the law, then Christ is dead in vain.

He is the only life I now have. Praise God for His own suffering and putting His Son through all humility just to get me as a son of God. How can we do anything under the Law to give thanks for what He has done.

I can now love the Father by the Love of His Son that is in me, can I never give enough thanks for what he has done?

Not by me, but by the Son that is in me, through His thanks and glory by faith, I can thank God in Him only and also know this by His Faith that in me by which I now live in this flesh.

In Christ: Phillip

Eph 1-3 is the epitomy of all Pauls epistles in which Paul preaches nothing but Christ and Him crucified, that we might be saved by the Grace that is in Him from the Father, who stood by and even being pleased that Jesus was marred more that any man and Crucified even to the Crufixion of the Cross. Know that then and then only could God our Father look upon his elect sons and daughters in pure Grace that was attoned completely by the Blood of Jesus Christ, the price paid to get you and me, what a price. Think about how the Father felt, when He saw His sinless only begotten Son bloodied, beaton, His flesh torn from His body, spat upon, made fun of and ultimatly killed by one of the most terrible most painful deaths contrived by man. Now we think that the Law will pureify us. Think about how the Father feels now when we don't completely depend on Jesus Christ and His Holiness to save us and keep us saved. In Christ, with Christ in you. This is our perfection, never the Law.

In Christ: Perfect before the Father by the work of the Cross accomplished only in the Son of God Jesus Christ, my life: Phillip

2012/1/16 22:05Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy