SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : Temptation?

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
PreachParsly

Arkansas

Temptation?

Mat 6:13 And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil: For thine is the kingdom, and the power, and the glory, for ever. Amen.

Jam 1:12 Blessed [is] the man that endureth temptation: for when he is tried, he shall receive the crown of life, which the Lord hath promised to them that love him.

Hmmm this is something I have been pondering... Why would Jesus in his model prayer pray lead us not into temptation when through temptation you recive the crown of life? Does anyone have any insight on this?

2005/1/18 18:46Profile
hredii

Fresno CA

Re: Temptation?

James 1:14 But each one is tempted when he is drawn away by his own desires and enticed.

I read Matt 6:13 as, And do not lead us into our own desires,

I had your thought before also.

2005/1/18 18:52Profile
PreachParsly

Arkansas

Re:

2005/1/18 18:55Profile
hredii

Fresno CA

Re: Temptation?

Temptations will come we do not need to pray for any more.

2005/1/18 18:55Profile
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Re:

Quote:
I had your thought before also.

This is a great thought to ponder on. I believe there is a difference between trials and temptations. As our dear brother pointed out that scripture says we are drawn away and tempted by [b]our[/b] own desires. Temptations come which are common to men.. Jesus was tempted in ALL ways... but God [b]is[/b] faithful He will not allow us to be tempted beyond what we can handle, therefore providing a way out of it.

Temptation to me is something that is the intial lurings of sin. And if acted upon or if you abide in that thought then it will manifest itselft in sin. Temptation in its self is not sin.

On the other hand trials would seem to me to be something where we can be tempted but in the end of the trial it is for life. A trial is a short time of perplexity. I always get the picture of going from one mountiantop to another but you have to travel through the valley to get there. I would say that a trial does not lead directly into sin but is something that God uses to deepen our faith in Him. Temptations can arise in trials and thats why I believe Jesus has us to pray against these.

Its like when Jesus told peter that Satan wanted to sift him like wheat.. but Jesus prayed that it would not overbear him.. therefore possibly praying he wouldn't be tempted to lose faith in the trial that was meant and allowed by God to strengthen his faith.

Just some thoughts..

2005/1/18 19:01Profile
PreachParsly

Arkansas

Re:

Hmmm well this does help. When I ran across this the Lord was showing me some things about prayer.

Mat 6:9 After this manner therefore pray ye: Our Father which art in heaven, Hallowed be thy name.

Mat 6:10 Thy kingdom come. Thy will be done in earth, as [it is] in heaven.

Mat 6:11 Give us this day our daily bread.

Mat 6:12 And forgive us our debts, as we forgive our debtors.

Mat 6:13 And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil: For thine is the kingdom, and the power, and the glory, for ever. Amen.

This is what he showed me:
1. He must be your spiritual father.
2. Know that He is holy.
3. Jesus is the Spirit of Phrophecy- you must have eternal eyes or you will ask amiss
4. Must disire His will (have the mind of Christ) here just as it is in Heaven.
5. Meek mind- only disiring what you need to increase His kingdom.
6. Search yourself for sin and repent.

Lead us not into temptation would fall into the catagory of a being holy and having a meek mind since we are tempted by our own lusts. So looking at it seems to me that you should search your motives..which is what he showed me on #2,3,4& 5. Thanks Guys!

2005/1/18 19:28Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy