SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Promoting Authentic Biblical Christianity.
Looking for free sermon messages?
Sermon Podcast | Audio | Video

Discussion Forum : General Topics : about Michelangelo converting to Protestant

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
ArtB

New York

about Michelangelo converting to Protestant

I was reading the Thread "Christian Leaders??? - beware!

I see no compatibility between Christianity and Roman Catholicism. The RCC salvation is based upon their sacraments.

For us evangelicals, salvation for us is the acceptance of the atoning blood of Jesus Christ on the cross, as the covering of all our sins for all time. His blood washes away our sins. And through Jesus, we are once again in the presence of God, we have the indwelling Holy Spirit by whom our very nature is being transformed that we may naturally do those good things that is pleasing in God's eyes. We love one another, and we love God with all our strength, heart, mind, and soul. This is our New Covenant with God.

The Catholic Church is making extraordinary efforts to get all other Christians to become Catholics. I would never pay homage to their Popes - Cardinals - Bishops - priests, Homage is for God alone. Nor would I embrace their salvation by works, their Magisterial Rules derived from the minds of men, nor do I believe in their salvation by sacraments.

Here is a very interesting film, put out by PBS, about Michelangelo's efforts to become a Protestant. It reveals how close the Catholic Church came to accepting the Views of the protestants.

http://www.pbs.org/wnet/secrets/episodes/michelangelo-revealed/226/

And perhaps, Michelangelo did convert to Protestant Christian.

2012/1/12 13:55Profile
Sidewalk

San Diego

Re: Catholic Christianity

Two things right off- I have not yet looked at the link you posted and two- I don't disagree with anything you said about the doctrinal errors of the Roman church.

But our amazing God is, among His other wondrous qualities, somewhat sneaky. He has many Roman Catholic hearts in His hand, and I have over the years received rebukes from Him when I thought otherwise. Be assured that Mother Theresa, a Roman Catholic through and through, absolutely loved Jesus Christ with her whole heart. She put a lot of protestant leaders to shame. And I have no idea how that worked out!

The Catholic Charismatic movement pulled millions of Roman Catholics into personal relationship with Jesus Christ. I attended one meeting where a woman asked the lay leader, a charming young Catholic man, if they were going to mention Mary in the worship. With a warm, humble smile he told her "We just worship Jesus here."

"Oh." she said, and continued to participate in some of the sweetest worship I have ever experienced. Over 1000 people in the Catholic High School cafeteria.

On a mission trip in Guatemala in 1984 I was amazed at the warm reception Youth With A Mission people got from the local priests and congregations, they could not do enough for us as we presented the gospel of Jesus in their midst.

We have our carefully crafted protocol for becoming a Christian and walking in faith. And we know that no man comes to the Father without Jesus. But keep your eyes and heart open, Our mighty God will work in ways we don't understand.

It is an age old human habit to declare oneself to have the only spiritual answer, then throw up a roadblock so that others are lost to the God who created and loves them. One of Jesus sharpest cuts on the Pharisees was that they neither entered the kingdom, nor would they let anyone else in either.

Unfortunately I speak from some experience. At one time, in an almost audible voice, I believe Jesus told me I was much more like the Pharisees than the disciples.

It stung- but it drove me to repentance as He had intended it. And I have not forgotten!

OK, rant over. Gotta check out the link and see if I need to apologize for any of the above...

2012/1/13 0:13Profile
Sidewalk

San Diego

Re: One more thought

I watched the documentary, wow! I see that the draw of the Holy Spirit and the forces of oppression are little changed.

They would slay the Prince of Glory just as quickly today as at any time in the past.

2012/1/13 1:10Profile
ArtB

New York

Re:

Sidewalk,

I'm glad you enjoyed the film. From that, we can see that the Protestants had zero chance of entering a fair discussion with the Catholic Priest at the Council of Trent, The Papacy was not open minded to fair dialogue and not in any way willing to give in one inch on the topics discussed.

As for your other post in response to me, yes, I believe many Catholics are saved, many do not even know what the RCC actually teaches, and they hear and believe a Billy Graham on TV and believe what Bill Graham preached while not knowing that their Catholic Church teaches constitutes salvation (purgatory, works, sacraments, Mary - queen of Heaven, Earth, The Universe ...). I too have Catholic acquaintances and friends that are Charismatic and very much alive to the Gospel of Jesus Christ.

But I am concerned for those who believe they are saved by the Catholic Sacraments, and who seek to deify Mary - the earthly mother of Jesus, and I am very uncomfortable of the praying to dead saints, and embracing all those apparitions and weeping statues. They have many doctrines that cripple peoples walks with God. I just tell them the gospel without criticizing Catholicism.

2012/1/13 1:34Profile
EverestoSama

Re:

Quote:
Be assured that Mother Theresa, a Roman Catholic through and through, absolutely loved Jesus Christ with her whole heart.

She loved Jesus so much that she said this about her work for Him,

"I’ve always said we should help a Hindu become a better Hindu, a Muslim become a better Muslim, a Catholic become a better Catholic." - Mother Teresa

She dressed them well for execution, all the while withholding the key to their freedom in the other hand. I don't know if I'd call that real love myself, and I don't think Christ would either.

2012/1/13 5:22Profile
StarofG0D

United States

Re:

Everestosama,
I have an fb friend that just moved from the ivory coast and now lives in Japan. He said that he lives near kobe. Would you be interested in possibly reaching out to him?
He was just telling me that he hasn't much fellowship there and I remembered you were out there!

Thanks so much.

My email is in my profile.

2012/1/13 7:10Profile
EverestoSama

Re:

@StarofG0D,

Thanks for the heads up! I just sent you an email, so let me know if you get it.

-Grant

2012/1/13 8:39Profile
Sidewalk

San Diego

Re: Mother Theresa

Whatterya gonna do??

I did not know Mother Theresa personally, and didn't follow her quotes very far. The one I did hear, proclaiming her love for Jesus, was electrifying. If she indeed did teach those bound in the world's non-Christian religions to stay there and be good, she missed golden opportunities to serve her savior.

Glad I don't have to be a judge of that!

Ultimately we preach with our lives. Sometimes our mouths help the message, sometimes they wipe it out completely.

Search me and know me oh God, and see if there be any wicked way within me!

2012/1/13 16:55Profile

©2002-2019 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy