SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : Why God ordered Israel to kill people?

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
neemia

North Carolina, USA

Why God ordered Israel to kill people?

Why do you think God ordered Israel to go and annihilate so many people or nations?

2012/1/11 8:49Profile
enid

Nottingham, England

Re: Why God ordered Israel to kill people?

Could you please give an example from scripture of what you mean.

Thanks.

2012/1/11 9:12Profile

Types Shadows Similitude's as Paul said.

The Old Testament is a primer for the real battle in the New Testament. Those people back in the day stood as an example for us. They lived and died, they murdered and killed, it was a bloody covenant.

The Good, the Bad and the Ugly all stand for a testimony for us all. They stand as ensigns, warnings, admonitions, and blessings to those of us that God is to be loved and feared.

2012/1/11 9:17
neemia

North Carolina, USA

Re:

I mean, when God told the Israelites to go to Jericho, he told them to kill everybody before taking over. Why?

2012/1/11 9:32Profile
KingJimmy

Charlotte, NC

God had given the land to Abraham. But when the Jews came to the land, there were many people already living in it. From a "practical" consideration, do you think the people living there were just going to uproot their lives and give the land to the Jews? Such would be the modern day equivalent of knocking on the door of your next door neighbor and saying, "God told me I am to live here now." If you did that today, I'm pretty sure your neighbor would be unwilling to move. They'd probably even put a gun in your face. So, from a practical consideration, war would've been absolutely necessary in order to "take" the land.

Such may be a tough pill to swallow. Even if what the Jews did in taking the land, was in part, God's judgment on sinful nations whose time had come. But at the end of the day, that is what God ordered.

2012/1/11 9:33Profile
Areadymind

Pacific Ocean

Re:

In Genesis 15:16 it states that "The iniquity of the Amorites is not yet full." This statement implies that the Canaanites (particularly the Amorites in this case) were "filling up" on deserving God's judgment. I do not know the exact date here when this portion of Genesis was written, but I do know it was centuries before God told Israel to destroy them.

God is patient with men, but his Spirit will not always strive with them. All men are destined for judgment. The better question is...why does God save anyone? And believe me, I am not trying to sound snooty, or de-value your question.

2012/1/11 9:57Profile
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Leviticus 20:22-24 gives you an answer:
22‘You are therefore to keep all My statutes and all My ordinances and do them, so that the land to which I am bringing you to live will not spew you out.

23‘Moreover, you shall not follow the customs of the nation which I will drive out before you, for they did all these things, and therefore I have abhorred them.

24‘Hence I have said to you, “You are to possess their land, and I Myself will give it to you to possess it, a land flowing with milk and honey.” I am the LORD your God, who has separated you from the peoples.

There are other OT scriptures that repeat this same sentiment.

Oh, and if you want to know what it is that will earn God's expulsion of a people from a land, just read the law, there you will find your answer.

EDIT: Originally God had promised he would chase the heathens out of Canaan with hornets, but because of Israel's disobedience they were called to do the job. God's tolerance of sin has its limitations. Today we see his mercy operative but the day is coming when his wrath will become evident.

2012/1/11 10:24Profile
pilgrim777

Re:

Today's moralists (from the Richard Dawkins, Christopher Hitchens (deceased) camp) cite the fact that God is immoral for killing women and children. They also deny the fact that the Devil is real so they have constructed this idea of a superstitious belief in this God of the Old Testament that kills people if He doesn't like them.

But the Devil is real and he incites the surrounding pagan nations to destory Israel, whom God is preserving in order to bring forth the Messiah.

Gen 3:15 promises the seed. The Devil tries to destroy babies in Egypt thinking that he will disrupt God's plans. When Jesus was born, Satan moves on Herod to kill babies hoping to destroy Jesus, but to no avail.

Dawkins, and the other Secular Atheists do not see a spiritual battle in the OT. They say man created the idea of this God that will kill people if they don't obey Him.

So, in their thinking it is God against man, not God against His true Adversary the Devil.

Hope that helps a bit. There is much that could be said on this subject. But when you are not comparing apples with apples it is difficult to reason with the secular humanists/atheists.

Pilgrim

2012/1/11 10:47Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy