Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : The Tebow experience

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
PosterThread
MrBillPro

Texas

Re:

Rather this "Tebow experience" means as much as a grain of sand, I will take it. "Some" Christians seem to have a problem accepting these little tidbits in life as anything from God. Even if it's not from God "and no one know for sure it wasn't" just seeing the 3:16, number one on the "Trending Now" in Yahoo, just made my year. Look, does Jesus Christ have to come down and yell from the mountaintop to let us know he is with us? or can these "Tebow experience's" be little assurances/reminders?

2012/1/11 13:58Profile
Yeshuasboy

Northern Rockies, BC, Canada

Re: The Tebow experience

The only thing I see catchin on in hockey is that certain players are saying, "If I score, I'm gonna do the Tebow." This is where unbelievers are at today in regards to this.

2012/1/11 14:10Profile
DEADn

Lakeland FL

Re:

mrBillpro

I would agree that some christians and some in sports media are having a problem accepting the little tidbits of what Tebow is producing and the God factor involved in it.

I can understand about the sports media part of it but on the christian side of it, sometimes I wonder if it may be the same crowd that believes that God doesn't perform miracles anymore?

I am not a Broncos fan and I am definately not a Florida Gators fan. I am a Florida State Seminoles fan and he cleaned out clock for 4 years. Yet in his own life and in the media he brings about a cheerfulness. He isn't giving all these empty monotone answers and he turns all attention away from himself in the process. Many of the other 'christians' who are playing sports usually are doing the opposite and therefore really aren't getting that attention.

Tebow is also one who seems to separate himself from others in character and always talks about meeting kids before games and visiting them in the hospitals. He says that these kids are the biggest heroes in life because of what they are going through, he uses his 'star' power to bring it to life.

In the end I think this situation is a golden opportunity to talk to people about the gospel without feeling you are being religious about it. Nope, talking about sports and the gospel is what this situation is bringing.

I watched twitter while the Broncos game was going on and there were people who were literally preaching the gospel as a result on twitter albeit in a hilarious way, at times,and I am sure there are some who are going to take the serious road and say the gospel is meant to be serious. Sure, lets suck on a lemon and get serious when we preach the gospel that way the lost people will want what we have- a bad attitude while being saved?

I hope the Tebow experience will make it another week and beat the Patriots because the talk will be extended and it will be great for gospel talk on twitter, on FB, on discussion forms, in personal relationships.
Have you talked to your friendly athiest, agnostic, who is a rabit sports fan and been able to talk to them about the gospel in a way that wouldn't resemble politics as a result of Tebow? Tebow is only the instrument bringing forth the message.

I wonder, how many kids are doing 'tebowing' and as a result are actually praying or someone in the group used it to start to pray? These may be questions/statements that we may never hear about but it doesn't mean the reality thereof isn't happening.

mmmmmm. Could this be a call for christians to pray this week for people hearing the gospel through the Tebow experience? Wow, this just came to me. Let's pray for the sports world that many would come to know Jesus through this and those who are already christians would be inspired to lift up their own voices as well within sports media...........

2012/1/11 16:50Profile

Re:

I've given some Christian friends of mine a hard time about Tebow because they have all of a sudden jumped on what I call the "Tebow-train". While God is definitely doing something in all of this... and it's a wonderful witness to the world... it is also the latest FAD in evangelicalism.

And boy we do love our fads!

I cant stand it when I hear people refer to a football team as "God's team" (especially when it's not the Carolina Panthers that they are referring to! lol).

I think you're reading too much into it to say:

Quote:
I can understand about the sports media part of it but on the christian side of it, sometimes I wonder if it may be the same crowd that believes that God doesn't perform miracles anymore?

It's also kinda judgemental to say that.

I have been a fan of Tebow since he was in high school for the very same reasons someone else wrote above (homeschooling). He truly has proven to be the real deal when it comes to his faith. I dont care for the needless criticism of him.

In fact, some time ago I posted on here that we need to pray for Tebow because of the persecution he was getting in the media. Someone here on SI actually questioned if he was truly born again because somewhere on the internet there was a video bio of Tebow, and in it he was seen for a split second reading... brace yourself... *gasp*... The Purpose Driven Life!

And we all know that according to scripture our salvation is based upon whether or not we read books by Rick Warren!

Well, Christians surely are a peculiar people, are we not?

That kind of criticism is unneccesary (and sinful, in my opinion).

If you want to criticize his form and his style, hey... I'm right there with ya! He's no Cam Newton! He's no Joe Montana... but he does get the job done, and at the end of the day the only thing that matters is whats on the score board.

Let's also keep in mind as we create a new commandment for Christians in America (Thou shalt love no other NFL team other than the Denver Broncos... or we'll all call you a hater and question your salvation!) that their are a LOT of serious and sincere believers in the NFL, and in other sports as well. I've known several of them personally. 3 of them played for the Buffalo Bills back in the Super Bowl years.

I agree, lets pray for ALL of our brothers in the Lord that have an incredible opportunity to be a witness. May Tim Tebow inspire them all to be bold...

... and to not be like Kurt Warner who advised Tebow to tone down the Jesus-talk. Kurt Warner, who claims to be a Christian (and I believe he is), and does speaking engagements at churches all across the country, actually told Tebow to be quieter about his faith... on national TV.

I'm so glad Tim Tebow ignored his elder brother. His elder brother was wrong.

Krispy

2012/1/12 5:52
MrBillPro

Texas

Re:

"The national nightmare continues. Hey, listen, I like Tim Tebow but there comes a point, he had a great game. He's supposed to have a great game," Barkley said.
Missanelli then asked Barkley if he has had enough of Tebow.
"I think the world has," Barkley replied.

Barkley needs to be speaking for himself, but this is usually the normal response of folks that put their fame and careers before God.

2012/1/12 12:10Profile
pilgrim777

Re:

I just read this article on Tim Tebow.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/football/nfl/story/2012-01-11/tebow-exclusive/52518122/1

He seems like a very loving and kind brother who walks in the spirit. This article on him really warmed my heart.

Reminds me of how a fellow "Christian" employee told me one time at work that I need to leave Jesus at home. He doesn't belong in the workplace. And to think, that I was under the impression that work is exactly where I need Him.

I am going to try to watch his next game.

Pilgrim

2012/1/12 19:42Profile
docs

Re: The doctors advised Tebow's mother to not have him

Tim's mother had become pregnant with him and very early one she became ill. She had to take strong antibiotics and I think some other medicine. The doctors said that the child would likely have physical deformities at birth or be mentally challenged or both because of the excessive medicine she was taking that would likely effect the fetus within her. This is at the time the fetus was one inch long in her womb. Because of her faith Mrs. Tebow said NO! to the doctors and eventually Tim was born. Go figure.

2012/1/12 20:21Profile

Re:

Quote:
I am going to try to watch his next game.

That would be against Tom Brady and the New England Patriots. I can not stand the Patriots.

But I will say this... I've not thought that anything Tebow has done on the field so far was "miraculous". BUT, I will call it "miraculous" if the Broncos actually beat the Patriots on Saturday.

This is the biggest game Tebow has ever played in, and the odds are stacked against the Broncos. The Patriots are tough and experienced in the play-offs. And if the Broncos get ahead of them early... dont get excited because the Patriots are the ultimate "come from behind" team.

Not to mention, with all the media attention on Tebow... the whole world will be watching. Thats a lot of pressure for a 23 yr old kid.

I hope they win because I H-A-T-E the Patriots (as a team)... but I would not put money on it (if I was a betting man, which I am not).

Krispy

2012/1/13 8:24
MrBillPro

Texas

Re:

Tebow. Another fine example of what HomeSchooling produces!

2012/1/13 22:45Profile
MrBillPro

Texas

Re:

Yahoo news said: Tim Tebow runs out of miracles as New England easily moves on to the championship game.

Hey, at least they believe in miracles, but the down side is, Yahoo probably don't realize what they said. Lol

2012/1/14 23:36Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy