SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Revivals And Church History : Oswald chambers Baptism of the Holy Ghost.

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
UntoBabes

Oregon

Oswald chambers Baptism of the Holy Ghost.

Major J. Skidmore, writing of this period of Oswald Chamber’s life, says—
The actual coming of Mr. Chambers into our lives was one of those unmistakable happenings of God of which we only see the significance afterwards. It began with a week-end he spent with us in November 1907. I had only seen him twice before, and in the interim he had been to Japan. After the midday meal on Sunday we sat down for an entrancing talk, lasting twelve hours. Mr. Chambers gave us a graphic narrative of the salient features of his life, particularly dealing with the experiences which came to him while at Dunoon, when God allowed circumstances to reveal to him ‘the plague of his own heart’. He described that period as ‘four years of hell on earth,’ though he preached as usual and people were saved and blessed, yet in his own soul there was darkness and misery, while he realized as he had never believed possible what the sinful disposition in him was capable of.
Only three times during those years was he conscious of God speaking to him personally. When sitting in his room late one night his collie came in through the window, put his head on his knee, looked into his eyes for a few minutes, then went out again. Another time, his door opened and in came the baby boy of the house, barefoot and in his night-clothes, he came up to him and said, “Mr. Chambers, I loves you,” and went back to his bed. Again, while conducting a Christian Endeavour meeting, a half-witted girl came down the church and laid a bunch of withered flowers on the table, a piece of paper was tied to the flowers with the words on it, ‘With love from daft Meg.’
Slanders of all kinds assailed him, he was misunderstood, shunned, avoided and evil spoken of, and he said that only the loyal support and unwavering confidence of Principal and Mrs. MacGregor sustained him.
Then came the day when yielding absolutely and unreservedly to God on every point, he entered into the experience of the Baptism of the Holy Ghost and passed to what he called ‘years of heaven on earth’. “The baptism of the Holy Ghost,” he said afterwards, “does not make you think of time or eternity, it is one amazing, glorious now.” And again, “It is no wonder that I talk so much about an altered disposition: God altered mine; I was there when He did it, and I have been there ever since.”
The following is his testimony as he gave it at Exeter Hall in May, 1906—
“After I was born again as a lad I enjoyed the presence of Jesus Christ wonderfully, but years passed before I gave myself up thoroughly to His work. I was in Dunoon College as tutor of Philosophy when Dr. F.B. Meyer came and spoke about the Holy Spirit. I was determined to have all that was going, and went to my room and asked God simply and definitely for the baptism of the Holy Spirit, whatever that meant. From that day on for four years nothing but the overruling grace of God and the kindness of friends kept me out of an asylum. God used me during those years for the conversion of souls, but I had no conscious communion with Him. The Bible was the dullest, most uninteresting book in existence, and the sense of depravity, the vileness and bad-motiveness of my nature, was terrific. I see now that God was taking me by the light of the Holy Spirit and His Word through every ramification of my being. The last three months of those years, things reached a climax, I was getting very desperate. I knew no one who had what I wanted; in fact I did not know what I did want. But I knew that if what I had was all the Christianity there was, the thing was a fraud. Then Luke 11:13 got hold of me—‘If ye then, being evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more shall your Heavenly Father give the Holy Spirit to them that ask Him?’ But how could I, bad motived as I was, possibly ask for the Holy Spirit? Then it was borne in upon me that I had to claim the gift from God on the authority of Jesus Christ and testify to having done so. But the thought came—if you claim the gift of the Holy Spirit on the word of Jesus Christ and testify to it, God will make it known to those who know you best how bad you are in heart. And I was not willing to be a fool for Christ’s sake. But those of you who know the experience, know very well how God brings one to the point of utter despair, and I got to the place where I did not care whether everyone knew how bad I was, I cared for nothing on earth, saving to get out of my present condition.
At a little meeting held during a mission in Dunoon, a well-known lady was asked to take the after meeting. She did not speak, but set us to prayer, and then sang ‘Touch me again, Lord’. I felt nothing, but I knew emphatically my time had come, and I rose to my feet. I had no vision of God, only a sheer dogged determination to take God at His word and to prove this thing for myself, and I stood up and said so. That was bad enough, but what followed was ten times worse. After I had sat down the lady worker, who knew me well, said: ‘That is very good of our brother, he has spoken like that as an example to the rest of you.’ Up I got again and said: ‘I got up for no one’s sake, I got up for my own sake; either Christianity is a downright fraud, or I have not got hold of the right end of the stick.’ And then and there I claimed the gift of the Holy Spirit in dogged committal on Luke 11:13. I had no vision of heaven or of angels, I had nothing, I was as dry and empty as ever, no witness of the Holy Spirit. Then I was asked to speak at a meeting, and forty souls came out to the front. Did I praise God? No, I was terrified and left them to the workers, and went to Mr. MacGregor and told him what had happened, and he said: ‘Don’t you remember claiming the Holy Spirit as a gift on the word of Jesus, and that He said: “Ye shall receive power…”? This is the power from on high.’ And like a flash something happened inside me, and I saw that I had been wanting power in my own hand, so to speak, that I might say—Look what I have by putting my all on the altar.
If the four previous years had been hell on earth, these five years have truly been heaven on earth. Glory be to God, the last aching abyss of the human heart is filled to overflowing with the love of God. Love is the beginning, love is the middle and love is the end. After He comes in, all you see is ‘Jesus only, Jesus ever.’ When you know what God has done for you, the power and the tyranny of sin is gone and the radiant, unspeakable emancipation of the indwelling Christ has come, and when you see men and women who should be princes and princesses with God bound up by the shows of things—oh, you begin to understand what the apostle meant when he said he wished himself accursed from Christ that men might be saved!”

http://seerfax.wordpress.com/2011/05/13/oswald-chambers-his-life-and-work/

2012/1/9 14:28Profile

Re: Oswald chambers Baptism of the Holy Ghost.

"If the four previous years had been hell on earth, these five years have truly been heaven on earth. Glory be to God, the last aching abyss of the human heart is filled to overflowing with the love of God. Love is the beginning, love is the middle and love is the end. After He comes in, all you see is ‘Jesus only, Jesus ever.’ When you know what God has done for you, the power and the tyranny of sin is gone and the radiant, unspeakable emancipation of the indwelling Christ has come, and when you see men and women who should be princes and princesses with God bound up by the shows of things—oh, you begin to understand what the apostle meant when he said he wished himself accursed from Christ that men might be saved!”

I love the absolute transparancy of the saints who have had the " last aching abyss of the human heart," " filled to overflowing with the love of God." And saints have experienced what it means to be emancipated from the " tyranny of sin," and who , with all of their hearts , desire to see others live as " princes and prinsesses." .....brother Frank

2012/1/9 15:46
murrcolr

Scotland, UK

UntoBabes thank you for taking the time and posting this article it has been of a great encouragement to me…

2012/1/9 18:14Profile
TeresaC

Oh My! What a powerful testimony this man had! God help us all to strive and press and empty ourselves of ourselves to be full of more of You! Thank you for posting this. I have been seeking the Lord for personal revival and our church is seeking "true" revival too. Much prayer has gone up and also alot of purging is going on in my life right now. I believe to prepare me for more of Him. I request your prayers that I will be able to press even harder and run after Him even more than I ever have. I believe the body of Christ needs an awakening in this hour. I have found myself saying of late just as our brothers in the faith of old, Brainerd, Chambers and Lake, "God I simply MUST have more of You!" There has GOT to be more! I'm not satisfied with what I have got only. Not that what I have isn't wonderful, I just know He is a huge God and we can never have enough of Him. God help us all to press like Chambers and others before.

2012/3/1 15:45Profile
Lysa

East TN for now!

Quote:

I knew no one who had what I wanted; in fact I did not know what I did want. But I knew that if what I had was all the Christianity there was, the thing was a fraud.

Amen and amen and amen.

2012/3/1 16:04Profile
timg

I think I am in the middle of the hell on earth part. Intresting how I felt the same way about christianity being a fraud if this was all there was. In my heart I know that not to be the case, but I admit that I did have the thought in the midst of some of my frustration.
One reason I have been blessed by this website is because of the many testimonies that assure me that I am not insane.
Would like to meet someone in person though. Perhaps the next great revival will be started when the thousands of christians in this community realize that there is more to the christian life that they are experiencing and become desperate like Mr. Chambers.
God bless you all,
Tim

2012/3/1 18:02Profile
jsjs

Ontario, Canada

Re: Tim's comment

I can relate, Tim, and I think you're absolutely right when you say

"Perhaps the next great revival will be started when the thousands of christians in this community realize that there is more to the christian life that they are experiencing and become desperate like Mr. Chambers."

This is a very insightful observation. Thanks for sharing it.

J.S.

2014/10/14 16:17Profile
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Re:

Quote:
If the four previous years had been hell on earth, these five years have truly been heaven on earth. Glory be to God, the last aching abyss of the human heart is filled to overflowing with the love of God. Love is the beginning, love is the middle and love is the end.

Praise God a wonderful testimony of the Lord in a life of a believer.

2014/10/14 21:56Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy