Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Articles and Sermons : "....You might be a transgressor"

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
Heydave

Hampshire, UK

"....You might be a transgressor"

"...you might be a transgressor"

If you think the 10 commandments are irrelevant for Christians today...then you might be a transgressor.

If you think that abstinence is not a virtue and can do what you want...then you might be a transgressor.

If you think that our country does not need better moral values...then you might be a transgressor.

If you don’t think the Law represents God’s righteousness...then you might be a transgressor.

If you don’t think that a man can keep God's principles and precepts...then you might be a transgressor.

If you think that its right that everyone gets away with everything...then you might be a transgressor.

If you think that there is never a right answer and right action for any circumstance (you just don’t take the time to figure it out)...then you might be a transgressor.

If you think that obedience is doing what you ‘feel’ is right...then you might be a transgressor.

If you feel it’s not worth trying to aim for righteousness...then you might be a transgressor.

If you are burdened by self-condemnation for your failures in life...then you might be a transgressor.

If you're afraid of any rules...then you might be a transgressor.

If you don’t delight to meet with the saints...then you might be a transgressor.

If you never give any of your material wealth...then you might be a transgressor.

If you don’t consider what pastimes are dishonouring to God...then you might be a transgressor.

If you've ever felt proud and superior for driving up in a new car, or buying a new dress, or even a new home...then you might be a transgressor.

If you've ever hoped that others were going to think your new hair-do made you special...then you might be a transgressor.

If you've ever thought that immodesty is OK...then you might be a transgressor.

If you've ever tried to impose your perspective of immodesty on another...then you might be a transgressor.

If you men have Never felt convicted for having taken a second look at a beautiful woman (in a short skirt)...then you might be a transgressor.

If you've never modified your behaviour so as not to stumble a weaker brother...then you might be a transgressor.

If you sit all night, most nights watching TV...then you might be a transgressor.

If you enjoy fellowship with professors of Christ who live in fornication...then you might be a transgressor.

If you think it’s Ok to divorce your wife and still expect spiritual honor and leadership...then you might be a transgressor.

If you've thought that the way your kids turn out has nothing to do with you as a Christian parent...then you might be a transgressor.

If you've ever felt out of place in the video store wondering who might walk in and what they might think...then you might be a transgressor.

If you've never been concerned that you might stumble a weaker brother who sees you having a glass of wine (or even a beer) with your dinner...then you might be a transgressor.

If you've never thought about being right with God through correct doctrine and moral behavior...then you might be a transgressor.

If you don’t get all excited about the return of Jesus...then you might be a transgressor.

If some of these exposes make you uncomfortable, raise your dander a little, or cause you take offense...then you might be a transgressor.

If you want to challenge and debate some of these issues...then you might be a transgresor...because transgressors love to fight and feud.

If some of these have hit you right where it hurts...then you might be a transgressor...

2012/1/9 11:34Profile
MaryJane

Re: "....You might be a transgressor"

Just to let you know in case you were not aware, this list has already been posted to the forum under another thread. You can find it here,

https://www.sermonindex.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=42593&forum=34

It has been discussed at some length, although in the other thread the term "legalist" is used :)

God Bless
mary

2012/1/9 11:50Profile
Heydave

Hampshire, UK

Re:

Hi Sister MaryJane.

I think you missed the point :). There are two sides to the coin I think!

2012/1/9 11:53Profile
sarahsdream

Re:

legalist = transgressor

That was Jesus' point.

Good catch, MaryJane.

In Christ,
Sarah

2012/1/9 12:20Profile
MaryJane

I did miss the point completely, at least the point you were trying to make :) I was just standing there and folding my laundry when it hit me, perhaps Dave was posting this intentionally but changing the term legalist to transgressor. I saw your reply as I was just about to post an edit to my response.

(thinking) now I shall have to reread through this list and keep in mind your term "transgressor"

Of course as I mentioned in the other thread there are some things listed that are clearly spoken of as sin. As fellow Christians we should with a loving Christ like heart help one another in these areas. Not throw stones but rather encourage and seek to point each other toward Christ. I also believe that in all things the motivation of the heart must be looked at.

God bless
mary

2012/1/9 12:20Profile
sarahsdream

Re:

The Legalists come up with "lists" that are supposed to identify who transgressors are. They think they can do it based on outward actions alone and of course it is their own set of requirements.

Take this one about material wealth, for instance. You cannot say if someone has never given away material wealth they are transgressors.

Many on this list by HeyDave apply to legalists, some do not. But almost in all of these you can still be a transgressor either way you look at it because once again, many of these apply to outward things and religious people love to judge on the outward.

The life of a legalist is full of "lists".

Not saying HeyDave is a Legalist, just shedding some more light on the legalistic spirit. It is good that HeyDave posted these examples. The more we have the more we understand the difference between the Letter of the Law and the Spirit of the Law. Jesus said the Letter kills but the Spirit gives Life.

He told the Pharisees that they search the scriptures and they think in them they have eternal life and the scriptures testify of Him. Did you see that the letter points to Christ? Jesus said, "the scriptures testify of ME". The Holy Spirit points to Christ, too. The letter and the Holy Spirit always point to the Living Word, Jesus Christ Himself.

He then went on to tell the Pharisees that they won't come to Him that they might have LIFE. (John 5:43)

They have the written word but they won't come to the Living Word. He says they go to the written word but won't come to Him, the Living Word. It is only by coming to Him that we will have Love and Grace and Truth. Truth by itself without Love and Grace is harsh.

The Law came through Moses but Grace and Truth came by Jesus Christ.

And I think this is what is trying to be said in these threads and what Jesus is saying, also.

John 5:39 Search the scriptures; for in them ye think ye have eternal life: and they are they which testify of me.
John 5:40 And ye will not come to me, that ye might have life.

This is nothing to fight over. There should be agreement and hearty Amens by all.

Shouldn't we all be looking at ourselves and asking if we are coming to the Living Christ and not stopping short at the Letter as the Pharisees did and making up lists for ourselves to put other people in categories?

In Christ,
Sarah

P.S. Here is the link I am referring to for those just now seeing this.
https://www.sermonindex.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=42593&forum=34&90

2012/1/9 13:39Profile
Heydave

Hampshire, UK

Re:

Hi Sarah,

Why are you so upset about the list?
The list here is basically the same list posted by pilgrim777, which you appluauded. I have just turn it around to show there is aother side. It just depends on what is meant and how you take it. If my list is faulty, it just shows how faulty that first list was also.

I absolutely agree we do not live by the 'letter' of the law, but by the Spirit.... but the Spirit and the word agree. God is much more (not different)than His written word as contained in our bible, but the written word is 100% His word and if we ignore that which has been preserved for us then we have no right to claim that we walk by His Spirit.

What I find disturbing is the amount of people who would belittle obedience to the word of God, when this website is full of sermons by men of God who would be shocked at some of the comments on this forum. try checking out Leonard Ravenhill, Keith daniels, Paul Washer, etc and hear what they preach.

May God help us see His holiness.

2012/1/9 14:42Profile
sarahsdream

Re:

Hi HeyDave,

On the contrary, I think it is instructive to make these lists/examples so that we can see what the spirit of legalism looks like in practical ways.

Both lists are faulty. Agreed. They illustrate perfectly well how using only the Letter (without the Spirit) is also faulty. We must be obedient to the Letter as revealed to us by the Holy Spirit. The Pharisees were obedient to the Letter but still missed Jesus Christ. Well, they were not that obedient but who can be? They thought they were.

I did not see Pilgrim belittling obedience and I think that is an incorrect characterization of what he posted. He is saying that we need to go further than the letter and find the life of the Spirit in it (by coming to Jesus). He was not even belittling the written word. He was talking about how the spirit of legalism will take the written word without the spirit of God and totally miss the Living Jesus Christ. At least that is what I got out of it. Apparently, some did not.

You did a great job! Bravo!

In Christ,
Sarah

2012/1/9 14:59Profile
Lysa

East TN for now!

Re:

Quote:
sarahsdream wrote:
On the contrary, I think it is instructive to make these lists/examples so that we can see what the spirit of legalism looks like in practical ways.

Both lists are faulty. Agreed. They illustrate perfectly well how using only the Letter (without the Spirit) is also faulty. We must be obedient to the Letter as revealed to us by the Holy Spirit. The Pharisees were obedient to the Letter but still missed Jesus Christ. Well, they were not that obedient but who can be? They thought they were.

I did not see Pilgrim belittling obedience and I think that is an incorrect characterization of what he posted. He is saying that we need to go further than the letter and find the life of the Spirit in it (by coming to Jesus). He was not even belittling the written word. He was talking about how the spirit of legalism will take the written word without the spirit of God and totally miss the Living Jesus Christ. At least that is what I got out of it. Apparently, some did not.

This was well written and spot on.

God bless,
Lisa

2012/1/9 17:11Profile

Cool, I get to be a legalist and transgressor all-in-one!!

OJ

2012/1/9 19:34

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy