SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : what if you are not spirit filled?

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
PosterThread
thankfulme

Re:

God's Word is very clear in telling us that being born of the water (baptism) is only one step to salvation. It is very clear that we must be born of the water AND the spirit (Holy Ghost). If this were not so, then God's Word would not mention the Spirit so much. If it were not so, then His Word probably would not mention the upper room experience. Here are a few scripture references:

John 3:1 - 7
Acts 2
Acts 10:43 - 48
I John 5:6

2012/1/14 13:09Profile
thankfulme

Re:

The infilling of the Holy Spirit/Holy Ghost is not a new thing. Acts chapter 2 gives the account of the upper room experience in which many were filled with the Holy Ghost. The Holy Ghost is for all individuals who truly desire it. You don't have to ask for it because it is ours to receive. You just have to be willing to accept it.

I received the Holy Ghost at our state camp meeting when I was 14 and have had many more experiences since then. It is an amazing experience. When you submit yourself to the Lord wholly and without reservation, it is amazing what happens. Some people shout, some people dance, some people leap for joy, and some people become drunk on the "new wine", but one thing that is common amongst all who are filled with the Holy Ghost is that they speak in tongues when it happens.

Some churches believe you can teach a person how to speak in tongues. It is not possible. They are simply teaching them to repeat the same thing over and over again very fast until they literally sound like they are speaking a different language. A person cannot be taught to speak in tongues. Churches who teach this are deceiving people just as those that teach only the partial truth about the requirements for salvation are deceiving people.

2012/1/14 13:29Profile
thankfulme

Re: to timg

You are correct in that the Holy Ghost experience was not a one-time thing. It is just as much for us today as it was for those who were in the upper room. People today receive the Holy Ghost just as people back then did and it is amazing. It is a blessing not only to receive it yourself, but to also see others as they do.

You expressed a desire for feedback from people who can back up what they say. I can. I am speaking from experience. I have been filled with the Holy Ghost and the Lord gives me a fresh touch often. It's also not something that happens just one time with people. The Lord will renew His Spirit in people daily if they are submitting their lives to Him wholly and are faithful in prayer and reading of the Word.

2012/1/14 13:45Profile
timg

Re:

Not looking for anything "mysiical", just seeking the truth and all that God has for me.

2012/1/14 13:49Profile
Sree

Re:

Quote:

but you shouldn't even go to bed tonight without being filled with the Holy Spirit!

I don't completely agree with this quote. Is it important to be filled with Holy Spirit? answer is Yes. And 'Yes' God has promised it to us and we can all be filled with Holy Spirit. But being filled and the general receving of Holy Spirit are totally different. We all receive Holy Spirit when we are born again and this is what causes us to receive the nature of Jesus, to hate evil and to seek Righteousness( Hebrews 1). If we did not receive it means we did not repent truely or did not believe that Jesus is son of God (or both). So if someone did not receive Holy Spirit he should not even go to bed but keep seeking it.

To be filled with Holy Spirit, means that the Holy Spirit will take complete control of all (known) areas in our life. It is not possible to have this right from day one. I did not have it and many men of God including Brother Zac did not have it from day one. Receiving Holy Spirit is like we joining school as a kid, but that does not mean we are immediately educated and become a PHD. It takes time, same way even coming under the complete control of Holy Spirit takes time and this is what Paul explains in Romans 7 when a young believers tries to come under control of Holy Spirit. But after lot of struggle, we get broken and decide to completely give all control to Holy Spirit. This is when we start getting filled, and it is everyday process like how brother Krispy mentioned. It is not a thing of past, but it is a thing of daily life.

Coming back to the original question, should someone go to mission field without being filled with Holy Spirit? The answer is not straight forward, as some posters have given. It is like asking:- when can a student who started studying medicine start treating patients? The answer is not immediately, but one does not need to be fully qualified doctor to start treating patients. It is a stage at which the medical student will start feeling that he can successfully treat a patient to some degree.

2012/1/14 14:47Profile
roadsign

Re:

So - are we to understand that being born again (by the Spirit) is synonymous with being FILLED with the Spirit?

Did Paul not exhort believers to be filled with the Spirit? It sounds like they had some responsibilities in this process.

What does it mean to "be filled"? Is it something one must assume by faith because they "asked Jesus in to their heart?"

Is evidence needed to prove it?
What evidence?

Oh - and might Scripture use the word "filled" in different ways - depending on context?

Pardon my torrent of questions. It's just that an appropriate answer to original question would require this clarification. Wouldn't it?

Quote:
It is a stage at which the medical student will start feeling that he can successfully treat a patient to some degree.

I think your analogy is fitting, Sree. Only one difference: For a believer, it is God who decides when someone is ready for his calling on them. He may want more preparation, or he may prepare them more on the field. Some find new/deeper life in Christ later - as they go along. (ex John Wesley)

Diane

2012/1/14 15:31Profile
pilgrim777

Re:

Amazing. Moses thought he was ready at 40 and was quite confident.

God said he was ready at 80, when Moses lost all confidence in himself.

At the burning bush, God asks Moses, "What's that in your hand?"

Why, it was Moses' staff. What he used for his livelihood. His security, his tool.

God says, "Throw is down, Moses". And he threw it down. Moses was allowed to pick it back up, but only when God told him too.

Dear Saint, what's that in your hand?

Pilgrim

2012/1/14 16:13Profile
sonsigns

Brumley Missouri

Re: KrispyKrittr... Are You Kidding me?

You said: If you do not have the Holy Spirit then you can not even possibly be saved.

Are you kidding us? where in the Bible does it say that your salvation is dependent on the Baptism of the Holy Spirit?

The Baptism of the Holy Spirit is an experience separate and apart from the initial salvation experience. and is always received after one is saved. Then the individual is to ask the Lord to baptize him/or/her with the Holy spirit.
LK. 11:13

We cannot not merit or deserve the Baptism of the Holy Spirit. It is a gift from God.
Peter spoke of receiving "Gift of the Holy spirit", Acts 2:38

Jesus my Lord and Savior said in Luke 11:13 If you then, with all your human frailty, know how to give your
children gifts that are good for them, how much more certainly will your Father who is in Heaven give the Holy Spirit to those who ask Him!” Wymouth translation

The Holy spirit is a gift to be received by all that are in Christ, however it is not mandatory in order to receive salvation, only believe.

2012/1/16 23:20Profile
Lysa

East TN for now!

Re:

Quote:
by sonsigns
You said: If you do not have the Holy Spirit then you can not even possibly be saved.

Are you kidding us? where in the Bible does it say that your salvation is dependent on the Baptism of the Holy Spirit?

I cannot speak for Krispy but knowing him, I do not believe that he meant the “baptism” of the Holy Spirit. Some denominations believe that when you get saved you get it all, thus get all of the Holy Spirit.

Perhaps that is what he meant but let it be known now that I am NOT putting words into his mouth....he gets testy when he thinks people are doing that, as do we all!!

God bless,
Lisa

2012/1/16 23:36Profile
sonsigns

Brumley Missouri

Re: Lysa

Thanks Lysa for your comment. I don't believe that you were speaking for Krispy. I some times forget that other denominations do not believe that the Baptism of the Holy Spirit is for Christians today.

I should remember this especially since I was saved and Baptized in a southern Baptist Church.

2012/1/17 12:11Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy