SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : When God says come

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
heraldndaw

When God says come

There’s nothing like being a father, nothing like holding your son in your arms, but there’s also nothing like having your patience tried by a little man who is literally knee high. This year I took my family to a New Year’s Parade; and like many parades are when you come a little late it was crowded. There was no way that my son who is under three feet would have been able to see through the throngs of shoulders with cameras, i-pads, that towered over him, unless I put him on my shoulders. So being a good dad I decided I’d give the little man a lift and allow him to sit on my shoulders. My son loves sitting on my shoulders, there’s something about going from staring at people’s knees and thighs, to being able to see above the big people’s heads that makes a child feel powerful, feel special.I felt good being my son’s hero, his superman. Having my son on my shoulders gave me a sense of pride of accomplishment. This is what good dads do. But my joy soon turned to pain. This parade was long. My strong but delicate frame began to wear down, it seemed as my son’s backside was getting heavier by the minute. I eventually understood where all the food was going. As time began to pass, my shoulders began to ache, and my back became sore. My son became my kryptonite, my strength was rapidly fleeting, but I made up my mind that we would stay until almost the end. After seeing enough floats and wanting to beat the crowd we decided to leave early, and seeing that my son didn’t have to look over anyone’s shoulders and heads to see anymore floats I put him down. My son was not having it though.

My son has gotten spoiled with me holding him, so much that any time I put him down on the ground he immediately begins to stomp his feet lift up his hands and say, “Up, Up”. He doesn’t understand that his papa is just a mere mortal, and though his mom might think he’s superman, he really is just a skinnier version of Clark Kent. My wife laughed as she saw me shake my head at my son, telling him he would not be able to ascend Mount Caramel for at least a couple of minutes. She too had began to understand that my shoulders were more narrow than those of Clark Kent. So off we went. Again, my son began to pull his little semi-tantrum stomping and saying, UP, Up, and I told him no he would have to walk. He would not take my no for answer and decided to fall on his knees and pout. I nudged him on here and there, lifting him up and distracted him by pointing at an airplane in the sky here, and there. Those worked for a little, but there weren’t enough airplanes in the sky to distract him. I eventually took a few steps in front of him to allow him to catch up with me. As I looked back at my little whipper snapper I saw he hadn’t moved and did not plan on it. I knelt down and extended my arms to him pleading to him on bended knee to come to daddy, anchored to the cement he stood frozen. He looked at me as if I were a piece of broccoli; Not interested.

Its amazing how much we act like toddlers with God. We love to have him carry us, to show us the great plans he has for us. We love large visions, we love to be held, we love the smell and the feeling of being close to God, but there are times when God puts us down, where he walks ahead and he calls us to walk. We who are spoiled by the closeness of God during times of intimacy are confused and shocked when God chooses to respond in a different way. We get angry, we get frustrated, and we become disobedient. God is patient however, and will not have his will superseded by the will of his children and he waits for us to come, to grow, to walk with him. He has laid out his plan, but now has left us with a role, to step toward him. To draw near to Him.

2012 is the year for you to draw near to God.

There it is, short and simple.

Drawing near to God will mean different things to you depending on your relationship with God. Sometimes it means not being on your daddy’s shoulders and having to put some effort in approaching him.Sometimes it means trying to locate where your papa is, sometimes it means giving up your comfort and going somewhere you don’t want to go.

Scripture tells us alot about what it means and how to draw near to God.

Take for example this scripture from Psalms.

Psalm 145:18 The LORD is near to all who call on him, to all who call on him in truth.

This verse addresses those who doubt whether God will respond to their cry, will he answer their prayers. These people have been perhaps praying to God, or seeking God and have doubted God’s presence in their situation. They figure God was absent, had been absent or was disinterested in their circumstances or situation.

The Psalmist answers that The Lord is near. That is such a comforting fact. God is near, he is not far, he is not deaf, he is not disinterested, or too busy, but he is near. He is not near everyone however, he is only near a certain type of person. He is near those who call upon Him in truth. So what does that mean. It means that there are some people who call upon his name, who talk about God, do things in the name of God, pray and even sing to God, but the Lord is not near them.

taken from
http://heraldinthewilderness.wordpress.com/2012/01/04/when-god-says-come/

2012/1/4 19:06Profile
mama27

Re: When God says come

My comment isn't just to this thread, but to the other thread being discussed, "On Being a Parent".....I have been a parent for 28 years to 7 children. NOTHING has taught me MORE about God and His relationship to me, than being a parent has taught me. It is so incredible that in the economy of God, He not only uses parents to teach children, but probably even moreso, uses children to teach parents - about Himself.... I am certain those of you with children know what I mean...Even though I have prodigals, there are lessons I could not have learned so fully without them...to grieve the heart of God Who so perfectly and fully loves me and wants my best, is now something I never, never want to do...Thank you Lord, for teaching us through children....

(I'm sorry this is not a direct comment to this post, but it was my heart response to it)

2012/1/4 20:55Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy