Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : The Secret Of True Repentance

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
PosterThread
Oracio

Whittier CA USA

Re: The Secret Of True Repentance

Great post tuc. I also found much truth in what Sidewalk and jimp wrote. Praise the Lord for the truth of His unchanging Word!

Ever since my conversion back in 1998 I have found the word "surrender" to be helpful in describing biblical repentance. Repentance is surrendering or giving up yourself to Christ. If it's willful outward sinful behavior(whether profanity, sexual immorality, drunkenness, etc.), you surrender it, or give it up for the sake of Christ with His help and grace. Or if it's inward sins(like lust, hatred, unforgiveness, or unbelief), you give it up and exchange it for Christ's truth by His grace.

So for example, when I became born again, I simply said, "God, I'm tired of running from you and doing my own thing in rebellion against you, after all the goodness and mercy you have shown me. Please forgive me of my evil deeds committed against you. From now on I want to turn from my wicked ways and surrender my whole life to You as best as I know how."

At that time I did not really know or understand much about faith in the finished work of Christ on the cross but I was truly broken and contrite toward God and sincerely desired to please Him from then on.

I wasn't really aware that sin is not just outward but inward also.

I figured I would try to clean up my act as best as I knew how and actually thought that I could stop sinning completely if I really tried hard enough. Well, I soon failed(I had a lust issue and learned that it was as adultery in God's sight, and I had anger issues also)and found that I was completely powerless against sin and temptation in my heart and life. Immediately the Holy Spirit began to show me that I could not stop sinning by my own self-will or determination, because sin and temptation were too strong. He began to show me that I needed to look to Christ and rest and trust in His finished work on the cross and His grace(undeserved favor).

I realized that in this life I will never be 100% perfect and that God was not expecting me to be completely sinless in this life. I realized that Christ had suffered and died to pay for all the sins I would ever commit in this life and that there is no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus(Romans 8:1). I learned that sanctification is a process where you become more and more like Christ as you grow in grace through continual repentance and faith(2Corinthians 3:18).

So now when I realize I messed up again I simply come to God and say something like this from my heart, "Lord, I am sorry for my sin against You. I take full responsibility for it. Please forgive me and wash me clean through your precious blood. I sincerely want to turn from that sin and not do it again. Please help me by your Spirit. Thank you for your patience and mercy toward me. In Jesus name I pray amen." In other words, I simply come to God willing to "surrender" that thing to Him and receive His grace to move forward. And He continues to shape and mold me into His image by His grace. He is awesome!

2012/1/5 1:35Profile
ArtB

New York

Re:

[quotelooserchapel]

Brother, since you seem to be acquainted with greek, I wanted to ask this question:

On the one hand repent is from Meta-noein, which means think differently or afterwards, and on the other hand, we know that meta-morphosis is, for example, the phenomenon that occurs when a caterpillar become a butterfly, I really wonder (again, I'm no greek scholar): does the "meta" in metanoien suggest such a drastic and powerful "change" as it clearly suggests in metamorphosis??

I am not an expert on today's or the ancient Greek language by any means, but I do have the ability to look up the English translation of Greek words from reliable sources.

Meta means 'beyond'. When famed expert on 'what is science', Karl Popper referred to evolution as not science, that it falls into the category called Metaphysics, which means 'Beyond Physics', meaning that the Theory of evolution is outside of physics (i.e. outside of real science). Biology, Chemistry, Astronomy, etc. are variations (specialties) of Physics. When a biologist or Chemist have problems with the science in their respective field, they turn to the physicist for the a solution or resolution.

So in this same sense, meta means 'beyond'.

In the case of metanoein:

Noein means has to do with ones thoughts, in the sense "things conceived in/with the mind"

So metanoein primarily means: beyond things one presently conceives with the mind, which is reasonably translated to English as: Think differently, reconsider.

Morphosis is the sequence of physical development in an organism. Metamorphosis means beyond Morphosis, the occurrence of a secondary sequence of physical development in a creature.

I just came home from an overnight at the Church I attend, We had the Homeless stay overnight for three nights, we provide them a warm place to stay and volunteers prepare and prepare and serve them very excellent meals with deserts and drinks. I'm the guy who stays with them and accommodates them overnight. I'll be doing it again tonight. Slept less than hour. Hope to sleep now.

O sleep, O gentle sleep, nature's soft nurse! W.S.

2012/1/5 8:53Profile
JoanM

Re: Repentance: the first word of the gospel

In terms of things written by man on repentance, Richard Owen Roberts has written a clear and strong book, full of Truth on the subject. He also has several audio/vidio messages on this site.

The book is titled: REPENTANCE The First Word of the Gospel.

I bought three. My Pastor at the time did not seem to appreciate it as much as I did. He left with little warning to take a position heading up a large local charity, saying he had not enjoyed preaching for over two years.

If you would like a taste in paraphrase: Repentance was John's first word and it was Jesus's first word [Matt 4:17]: not grace, not love but repent.

After hearing so many lies in our "christian" culture, the chapter on the myths of repentance is wonderful to hear. Paraphrase: God does NOT love the sinner and hate the sin: He hates the sinner. How many times have you seen that lie miss-lead a hungry, needy, seeking one. Mr. Roberts has had this burden for so long (his messages show that) that he leaves no stone un-turned.

I am following this thread with interest although I will not have much time to reply. Yes, to re-newing our mind.

Thanking Him
Joan

2012/1/5 13:23Profile
Sidewalk

San Diego

Re: And then, after repentance the glory

This is a good thread, and I am loving the lively discussion- thank you all for sharing the wisdom God has dispersed here!

It is true that many Christians never seem willing to bow down and genuinely repent of their sins for whatever reasons. Either pride or having only heard a familiar but incomplete gospel message- "Just come as you are, just accept Jesus as your personal savior and you will instantly be saved."

"Do you accept Jesus as your personal savior?"

"Uh-huh."

"Great! You're in! Go read your bible..."

And Satan chuckles.

Repentance confronts the obstacles to a relationship with Jesus. The object of that relationship is intimacy with God, and Power- the very things that Jesus has- and wants for us. (In that order, by the way.)

It just seems to be God's way, that He first breaks us so that we can be molded into what He can use. The repentance is coming to complete honesty with who we are, what we've done, who God is, and what He's doing. It is not to keep us face down in shame but to raise us up to show forth His glory in us. We are sons and daughters of God, destined to be conformed to the firstborn Son, to be the body He longs for, to confront the wicked world and turn it upside-down. Would that we be the people who actually scare Satan!

The glory is after the repentance, but so worth it!

2012/1/5 23:10Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy