SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : Word Study: The Faith of God (or Christ)

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 )
PosterThread
rookie

Savannah TN

Re:

Brother Robert wrote in his first post on this thread:

Quote:
t would seem that faith IN Christ would be to exercise the faith OF Christ (Christ's faith that he gave to us) in Him.

Romans 10:
6 But the righteousness of faith speaks in this way, “Do not say in your heart, ‘Who will ascend into heaven?’ ” (that is, to bring Christ down from above) 7 or, “ ‘Who will descend into the abyss?’ ” (that is, to bring Christ up from the dead). 8 But what does it say? “The word is near you, in your mouth and in your heart” (that is, the word of faith which we preach): 9 that if you confess with your mouth the Lord Jesus and believe in your heart that God has raised Him from the dead, you will be saved. 10 For with the heart one believes unto righteousness, and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation. 11 For the Scripture says, “Whoever believes on Him will not be put to shame.” 12 For there is no distinction between Jew and Greek, for the same Lord over all is rich to all who call upon Him. 13 For “whoever calls on the name of the LORD shall be saved.”

In this verse,"“The word is near you, in your mouth and in your heart” (that is, the word of faith which we preach):

The idea of faith is the means by which we enter into a relationship with our Savior. The means points to searching out the "Life" that is near everyone of us. The "faith of Christ," in a sense describes the "Life" that we inherit as we take on His yoke. The yoke to me represents the word of God that directs us daily. Jesus pulls the reigns and we either submit or stubbornly reject the pull of the reigns. As we learn to submit, we are taught the substance of what Jesus hopes for in our lives. The understanding that comes of this training is to know the treasure that exists in the "Life." The product of this understanding creates the "faith of Jesus" in us. Glorifying God will be the completion of the work of 'His faith," in us.

In Christ
Jeff

2005/1/26 12:30Profile
philologos

Reading, UK

Re:

Quote:
[u]Jeff posted;[/u] What does Paul mean when he writes, "though he be lord of all?"

[b]Now I say, That the heir, as long as he is a child, differeth nothing from a servant, though he be lord of all; But is under tutors and governors until the time appointed of the father. Even so we, when we were children, were in bondage under the elements of the world: (Gal 4:1-3 KJV)[/b]

In a potential sense*. [b]And Sarah my master's wife bare a son to my master when she was old: and unto him hath he given all that he hath. (Gen 24:36 KJV)[/b] Hebrew tenses are not like ours. This is the 'complete' tense and is used for future events where those events are certain, as well as certain past and certain present events. The sense is permanence; settled. It is often used in the prophetic statements of the OT.

Some years ago an uncle of mine died and left a small inheritance for my children. The amount was to be invested until each child reached the age of 21. Up until that time, they were Uncle Fred's heirs, but had no enjoyment of their inheritance 'until the time appointed' by Uncle Fred! Later we had other children who had not been named in Uncle Fred's will; they had no inheritance to look forward to. Nevertheless, until the 'time appointed' they were no worse off than Uncle Fred's heirs. But when their 21st birthday arrived each named heir entered into the good of their inheritance; at that point, but not before it, they did 'differ' from the non-heirs. At age 21, children 1-3 each received their inheritance; £50 each! At age 21, children 4-7 received no inheritance! It was a source of some minor rancour in our little family!

Abraham was still alive at this time and Isaac was in the position of an 'heir' who has not yet come into his inheritance; this latter seems to have occured when Abraham finally died; [b]And Abraham gave all that he had unto Isaac. But unto the sons of the concubines, which Abraham had, Abraham gave gifts, and sent them away from Isaac his son, while he yet lived, eastward, unto the east country. And these are the days of the years of Abraham's life which he lived, an hundred threescore and fifteen years. Then Abraham gave up the ghost, and died in a good old age, an old man, and full of years; and was gathered to his people. (Gen 25:5-8 KJV)[/b]

Paul is making the point that before a certain time came, which he describes as the 'fulness of time', the heirs and the non-heirs alike had not experienced the inheritance. The Spirit of Sonship, who came when the 'day of Pentecost' was 'fully come', caused Jew and Gentile, (heir and slave) alike to enter into the original promise of full Sonship.

[b]But the scriptures shut up all things under sin, that the promise by faith in Jesus Christ might be given to them that believe. But before faith came, we were kept in ward under the law, shut up unto the faith which should afterwards be revealed. So that the law is become our tutor to bring us unto Christ, that we might be justified by faith. But now faith that is come, [u]we[/u] are no longer under a tutor. For [u]ye[/u] are all sons of God, through faith, in Christ Jesus. For as many of you as were baptized into Christ did put on Christ. There can be neither Jew nor Greek, there can be neither bond nor free, there can be no male and female; for ye all are one man in Christ Jesus. And if ye are Christ's, then are ye Abraham's seed, heirs according to promise. (Gal 3:22-29 ASV)[/b]

Before 'faith came' Jews were children and Gentiles were bond-slaves. Both [u]we[/u], believing Jews, and [u]ye[/u] believing Gentiles, are 'sons' now that 'faith has come.

* [i]Lord of all
Legally, by right of birth, though not actually.[/i] (Vincent's Word Studies)

[i]Though he be lord of all - That is, in prospect. He has a prospective right to all the property, which no one else has. The word “lord” here (κύριος kurios), is used in the same sense in which it is often in the Scriptures, to denote master or owner. The idea which this is designed to illustrate is, that the condition of the Jews before the coming of the Messiah was inferior in many respects to what the condition of the friends of God would be under him - as inferior as the condition of an heir was before he was of age, to what it would be when he should enter on his inheritance.[/i] (Albert Barnes' Notes on the Bible)

2005/1/27 6:00Profile
rookie

Savannah TN

Re:

Br. Ron,

I don't have time today, but I will contemplate all that you have written. Thankyou.

This next question is not only to Br. Ron, but to all.

How does the "faith of Jesus," relate to one having the "testimony of Jesus?"

Rev. 19:10 And I fell at his feet to worship him. But he said to me, “See that you do not do that! I am your fellow servant, and of your brethren who have the testimony of Jesus. Worship God! For the testimony of Jesus is the spirit of prophecy.”

In Christ
Jeff

2005/1/27 15:59Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy