SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : question about a book i just bought, unsure about it?

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 Next Page )
PosterThread

question about a book i just bought, unsure about it?

I just bought a book by jessie penn Lewis called War on the Saints and i know their was a post already locked on this site about it, so i am not trying to bring up anything at all to cause confusion. But, as i have read the book i have sensed a very strange presence you can say or feeling that i am very unsure about, as i read the book their does seem to be some truth in it, but it seems to make me feel demons have so much power when I know God is sovereign and in complete control of a believers life. To be honest with you I always get this presence or feeling when it comes to going to a apostolic church or i guess you call a pentecostal church, it doesn't seem right to me for some reason. But, anyways i really am unsure if i should continue to read this book, anyone can give me some wisdom on this at all.

2011/12/28 5:06

Re: question about a book i just bought, unsure about it?

i am sorry for all the posts, i have no clue why my computer just posted all of these, sorry.

2011/12/28 5:07

Re:

if someone coulddelete those for me i really would appreciate it, i deleted the title and the rest of the text posted as you can see i abbreviated as a. Those all posted out as the same as this one.

2011/12/28 5:11

Re:

forgive me, i asked in the "a" posts, what you were doing.....oh! my fault. forgive me please, love, neil

and ps. also forgive me that i cant answer your heartfelt inquiry as i know nothing of Lewis, except this in general, if something 'rings' wrong in the Spirit, fret not, just stop, thats why God gave us His Indwelling Spirit as Consuler.

2011/12/28 7:03
Zionshield

Ohio

Your description of a "strange presence" doesn't necessarily disqualify the book. When the Holy Spirit disapproves of something He will let you know in the depths of your spirit where He resides, not with the manifestation you describe. I owned that book years ago and gave it to a warrior that could use it better than I. I haven't had it since, but wish that I did. Lewis is in the same school of thought as Madame Guyon and Watchman Nee. If you find it difficult to understand you may need to leave it be for a while. If in doubt I would suggest you leave it be. There are many things that occur in spiritual warfare that she experienced that we may not know or understand in ordinary circumstances. If I'm not mistaken she wrote that on the heals of the Welsh revival in early 1900's with Evan Roberts.

2011/12/30 23:05Profile
roadsign

Re:

I have both the abridged and the full version of the book. I do recommend it - as I think she addresses a legitimate issue. She has a particular emphasis which I think still has a place in Christian dialogue today - especially among those who emphasize relying on the Spirit. She demonstrates how this teaching can become dangerously misguided. I have seen some of the phenomena she addresses in people whom I know who have been caught up in unauthentic revival/renewal movements.

Another book I have by her is called "The Spiritual Warfare" which I highly recommend.

I would likely find it interesting reading these books again - 15 years later - and see how I read her now.

PS The book has nothing to do with the locking of the thread. It was another concern that developed - unfortunately.

Diane

2011/12/30 23:27Profile
mguldner

Kansas

My philosophy is if you are uncertain about something don't put it in your body, this works well with food and doctrine lol ;)

2011/12/31 1:52Profile
Lysa

East TN for now!

John,

Matthew is right but it's not necessarily the book, I don't think YOU should read any book until you are more stable in the Lord. Why do this to yourself, you don't even know if you're saved and now you want to go and read a penn-lewis book?

Myself and others have told you this before, STOP the insanity of reading every Tom, Dick and Mary. Do you even read the Bible? Please begin to only read the Bible, get a parallel edition of KJV and NIV or something else along with TONS of paper and pencils/pens and read THAT from morning till night for at least six months to a year and begin to set aside time to pray for everyone but yourself to see the needs of others. I love you in the Lord brother but there is no magic pill (or book) that is going to set you free but only the power of the Holy Spirit.

God bless you,
Lisa

2011/12/31 6:06Profile

Re:

I have to differ from my sister Lisa on this.

I have had periods of darkness when the Bible remained shut but some light was given as to my condition by spiritual writers. The Lord leads us to the ones who will give benefit in these circumstanes so I agree on caution and not to be running to and fro searching for answers. At times of the worse darkness, there are a few who helped me and JP-L is one.

I found that when there was a book which would give me light, the enemy tried to stop me from reading it. I would find it hard to get into and would be tempted to give up but once I knew this was happening I made the effort to continue and was blessed. I believe that the enemy tries to stop believers reading War on the Saints more than any other book due to the explicit knowledge she gained of him during the revivals.

If we are sincerely seeking a deeper walk or indeed to be restored to the presence of Christ, and trust the Lord to speak to us through whatever means He choses, waiting on Him for confirmation, He will guide.

2011/12/31 10:00
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Re:

Quote:
jessie penn Lewis called War on the Saints

Dear Brother, this book is an excellent one. Jesse-Penn Lewis co-authored it with Evan Roberts who was the main person used in the famous 1904 welsh revival. He helped write and warn against exceess's and demonic counterfeits that happen in true revival. Not all the theology in the book is 100% perfect. But there is much in the book that is needed to be read especially in light of alot of extreme charismatic influence in the evangelical church.

2011/12/31 10:09Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy