SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : Random Thoughts About the Birth of Jesus

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
PosterThread
rufnrust

Indiana

Re: Random Thoughts About the Birth of Jesus

I love this !

Heb 1:5 To which of the angels said He at any time, Thou art my son. This day have I begotten thee?

John 1:1-2 ...14 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God and the Word was God. The same was in the beginning with God....and the Word was made flesh and dwelt among us,( and we beheld his glory, the glory as of the only begotten of the father,) full of grace and truth.

Heb 10:5 Wherefore when he cometh into the world, he saith sacrifice and offering thou wouldst not but a body thou hast prepared me;.........to vs 9 (also Ps 40)

We see a conversation within the Godhead in Heb 10 before the Word came to earth. We see the tenderness of the surrender to the will of the Father. We see the Father boasting of His Son in Heb chapter 1. We should protest new versions that omit the word BEGOTTEN!! If the Father boasts of His ONLY begotten Son, then we should also relish in the glorious revelation that the Word became the only begotten Son of God on THIS DAY as the Father has said.

edit; He became the Son but never ceased being the Word!

This is water to swim in!

Russell

2012/1/3 10:31Profile
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Matthew 2:13, 14

Matthew 2:13,14

13 Now when they had gone, behold, an angel of the Lord appeared to Joseph in a dream and said, “Get up! Take the Child and His mother and flee to Egypt, and remain there until I tell you; for Herod is going to search for the Child to destroy Him.”

14 So Joseph got up and took the Child and His mother while it was still night, and left for Egypt.

COMMENT:

I find this so remarkable: when Joseph was told in a dream to flee he got up while still dark and fled with his wife and child.

Hey! It was dark! the time the bogymen are out to get ya! Seriously, it is my understanding that it was not safe to travel at night back in those days because of banditry. But Joseph did not hesitate. Immediate obedience was of paramount importance.

How often do we procrastinate or rationalize a command from the WORD?

More to come...

2012/1/3 22:08Profile
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Re:

Russel, I love the book of Hebrews! :-)

QUOTE:
"We see a conversation within the Godhead in Heb 10 before the Word came to earth."

We also see this in the first chapter of Genesis when they said "Let US make man in OUR image." Notice the plural pronouns: us, our. The text concludes with, "an in the image of God made he him, male and female created he them." Again, plural pronouns.

To me this is such a clear evidence of the plurality of the Godhead I do wonder why people will refuse to acknowledge it.

Indeed, Jesus made a body in Mary's womb for him to live and grow in...now wrap your mind around that, if you can!!

ginnyrose

2012/1/3 22:17Profile
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Re: Matthew 2:13, 14

I find it awesome how God provided for the financial well-being of this young family. A few days before Joseph got the order to vacate Bethlehem, magi from the east visited them, giving them some luxurious gifts. I wonder what Joseph and Mary felt like after they left and had time to allow reality to sink into their minds? All this wealth! But they did not have to wonder long.

Now God told them to run for their lives and this requires money - and He so generously provided for them!

In addition to being out in the night when it was dangerous to do so, carrying all this wealth with them would have paid some bandit handsomely! But God was in control and I suspect he had his angels guarding them the entire way.

It is like someone has said, "when God calls, He also enables".

2012/1/5 10:57Profile
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Re:

Before I go on, I must say I find Joseph's response to this entire thing so amazing. We never read that he complained or bemoaned the usurping of his career plans. He went. He did as told. Obedience was his lifestyle. Is mine?

I do wonder about Joseph's family and Mary's as well. What did they think of this couple? The one that held so much promise: she being a godly lady and he a righteous man? Now here they go off on a tangent - they went to Bethlehem and later disappear out of sight..Did they communicate their whereabouts to their families? I suspect they did not.

Obedience to God will inconvenience someone somewhere and will create lots of misunderstandings between the called and their family's and friends.

More to come...

2012/1/5 11:09Profile
White_Stone

North Central Florida

Re:

Dear Ginnyrose,

Thank you for this thought provoking thread. There is comfort in knowing others think along the same lines.

A post or two back it was said (paraphrasing) 'when God calls he also enables.'

Along the same line, I can testify that God always provides. My husband and I have long since stopped questioning when we are offered an opportunity to carry home something someone offers for free, even if we see no current need for the thing. We have found, be patient God will show you why, in His time.

Years ago, Nathan (I don't recall his new screen name), posted about "Only Believe." I took his advice to heart, it was as if it came from the Lord.

Mark 5:36 As soon as Jesus heard the word that was spoken, he saith unto the ruler of the synagogue, Be not afraid, only believe.

Only believe. Keep up a confidence in Christ, and a dependence upon him, and he will do what is for the best. Believe the resurrection, and then be not afraid.

Also, I never heard anyone mention Joseph and Mary's families. Certainly makes it come alive to consider that aspect.

Great thread!
white stone

2012/1/5 11:35Profile
ccchhhrrriiisss

Re:

This is a wonderful thread! Thanks for the posts!

:-)

2012/1/5 11:39Profile
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Re:

White Stone and Chris:

Thank-you for your kind words of encouragement. It is wonderful to see others who take their calling to serve the LORD seriously. Having said this, I am not taking any credit for the insights I gleaned - it comes from a careful observation on the life of Joseph and Mary, knowing full well they were human just like us - I keep wondering how my husband and I would have fared had we been in their shoes. Now that gets very insightful, reveals your own shortcomings. It is so interesting how the Holy Spirit will use stories to teach us about our own walk with the LORD. (BTW, I have never seen a movie on the Nativity.)

I must go - I have a delivery to make this morning.

In my next post I hope to share insights from: Luke 2:19 "But Mary kept all these things, and pondered them in her heart." Anyone want to share theirs?

2012/1/6 9:04Profile
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Luke 2:19

Luke 2:19: But Mary kept all these things, and pondered them in her heart.

Mary had a lot to think about. No other mother had as much drama in her life as she had in hers - drama that she did not look for, nor pursued. Yet, it says she kept these things in her heart - I would understand she did not discuss it with others.

Mothers love to discuss mothering with other mothers: comparing our children's growth and development, sharing remedies for whatever ails your child. We learn from each other and thereby encourage each other. Woe on any mom who does not have this support system working for her!

But Mary, did she have it? What would happen if she told her friends about all the visitors they had, their tales of how they were informed of Jesus' birth, and the gifts shared? Because of disbelief, envy, a body sometimes just has to shut up and not say all you know. I suspect this is where Mary was: she understood the dynamics of people's feelings and respected them, sparing them of potential conflict by being keeping these things in her heart.

We see in Mary, as she pondered these things, a growing awareness of the possible ministry of her son because when they attended the wedding at Cana she told the young men to inform Jesus of their dilemma...it was at her urging Jesus performed his first miracle. We see her speak out for the first time about her son, urging him on.

Amazing lady - one who knew when to keep quiet and when to speak. WOW! How many of us could stay quiet about something as profound as having the son of God living under your roof! and it was YOUR child who was so different - how could we handle that?

More to come...

2012/1/7 10:40Profile
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Re: When was Jesus taken to the temple?

This is a question for those who like to do some detective work.

As I was looking at the birth of Jesus and the events prior and following it, I noticed something I never saw before - there appears to be a conflict in the events as written in Matthew and Luke.

In Matthew 2 it sounds as though the family was living in Bethlehem when the order came for them to flee. After Joseph was told they can return it appears he had a mind to return to Bethlehem but once again an angel tells him to go to Nazareth.

Ok. Now look at Lukes' account in chapter 2:21-39. The law was for Mary to be set aside as unclean (days of purification) for one month after which they went to the temple to offer a sacrifice as per the law. After doing so, they went to Galilee.

Is it possible that Joseph and Mary did not go to the temple to make this offering until they had returned from Egypt? Casual perusing of this account would suggest a serious conflict, but now after studying this more, I am not so sure.

What say?

2012/1/7 10:58Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy