SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : Random Thoughts About the Birth of Jesus

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Random Thoughts About the Birth of Jesus

Yesterday was Sunday and our SS Lesson was taken from Luke 2 that dealt with Jesus' birth and the Shepherds. I was asked to teach the adult Sisters...In my years of teaching, I considered this story the most difficult one to teach. We are all familiar with the story, so what other inspiration is there to get from it? However, in recent years the LORD has shown me some very interesting points that are edifying.

I would like to share some random insights that have blessed me and perhaps it will bless others as well. If you have something to share, go ahead - it could be very inspiring to hear others' insights to this event. I will like share these points in multiple posts - do not have time to write a long post - one that will not be read, anyways...

2011/12/26 14:49Profile
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Matthew 1:18-19

Mat 1:18 Now the birth of Jesus Christ was on this wise: When as his mother Mary was espoused to Joseph, before they came together, she was found with child of the Holy Ghost.
Mat 1:19 Then Joseph her husband, being a just man, and not willing to make her a publick example, was minded to put her away privily.

Joseph was [likely] a young man, engaged to get married, full of expectations of what that all entailed. He [likely] had plans for his life, his work, having a family with a wife by his side: full of expectations and anticipation. Just like the normal male looking forward to getting married!

Then one day, while in the midst of all this planning, he heard something that took the wind out of his sails - about like being kicked in the stomach: he heard Mary was pregnant! Mary, of ALL people! It can't be, not her!!! I thought she was a godly lady! she would never go out and defile herself with a man...yet how else can a female conceive! Loving her as much as he did, he resolved to just put her away quietly and not hold her up to public ridicule, a very kind act IF this is what he was going to do...

More later...

2011/12/26 14:58Profile
MaryJane

Re: Matthew 1:18-19

Ginnyrose "Loving her as much as he did, he resolved to just put her away quietly and not hold her up to public ridicule, a very kind act IF this is what he was going to do..."

I always thought Joseph must have been a very forgiving man to not want to openly seek revenge on Mary. Before he knew the truth of the origins of Jesus conception he must have felt very betrayed by Mary.

Look forward to reading what the Lord has placed on your heart to share with us....

God Bless
mj

2011/12/26 15:13Profile
Christinyou

Ca.

Re:

If Jesus was given a body by the incorruptable Seed of the Father in Mary by the Holy Spirit and given birth on Christmas day, How is the believer given rebirth of the incorruptable Seed of the Father, which Jesus Christ says is,"Ye must be born again"? By the Holy Spirit also I would presume?

This is one of the primary faiths we must have, a virgin givien birth to the Son of God by Our Father through the Holy Spirit. It is also primary to the believers born again expierence, by the Holy Spirit, us sealed into Christ.

I cannot get my mind around what Paul calls the "mystery", Jesus calls the Born Again and Peter calls also "being born again by the incorruptable Seed the Word, which is Jesus Christ, John 1.

Any revelation to any of the saints would be appreciated.

If this is derailing Ginnyrose's thread I will start it in a new thread.

In Christ: Phillip

2011/12/27 13:39Profile
Christinyou

Ca.

Re:

I would think Mary explained the whole thing to Joseph and Putting some truth into his mind would give him great wonder. Maybe this had something to do with Joseph giving Mary the benifit of the doubt, that being the reason he did not put her away publicly. Just my speculation. I am sure when Joseph received conformation of what Mary had said, he believed Mary and the Angel.

In Christ: Phillip

2011/12/27 14:07Profile
Sidewalk

San Diego

Re: Random Thoughts About the Birth of Jesus

it is interesting to me that Mary was visited by the angel, probably in full daylight view. But Joseph apparently never saw the angel, he got his words each time from his dreams at night. God keeps us from figuring out patterns, we have to trust Him to speak in the way He chooses.

I don't buy the notion that Jesus couldn't be born of an earthly father or He would have been born with a sinful nature. If that were true, He could not be my savior because he would not be truly the son of man as He claimed to be. He was born of Mary and by the Holy Spirit because He was wholly God and wholly man.

Isaiah had prophesied by the Spirit of God, "Unto us a child is born, unto us a Son is given."

Good poetry of course, but perfect theology as well. The child began at birth and grew up to be Jesus of Nazareth, son of Mary and Joseph- but also Jesus Christ the only begotten Son of God who has existed eternally and as such has no beginning. He could only be "given."

"Before Abraham was, I am!"

No wonder the world cannot accept Him, and who He really is is only revealed to those who bow down in repentance and faith for salvation.

You can expect the world to come up with its cults and weird belief systems as they try to dictate to God who His Christ has to be!

Only in the safety of His Word can a repentant sinner come to know the real Jesus born the King of the Jews and the only Savior of all mankind. (On His terms, of course!)

2011/12/29 0:06Profile
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Re: Matthew 1:20 [edited]

While Joseph was mulling this new twist in his plans, the Angel of the LORD appeared to him, giving him directions on how to handle this troubling dilemma.

By this time, I feel certain, he really was up the creek without a paddle: "how am I going to steer through these troubling waters?" He came up with a tentative plan, but it was not God's but seemed to be the best he could think of.

Lesson: How we deal with a gross change in circumstances is a reflection on our dependence on the LORD. Too many times we will resort to do what the logical would suggest to be the wisest course of action.

Lesson: When God calls he knows it will inconvenience people's plans for the present and future. God is fully aware of it and will give the necessary directions to walk through this maze.

More to come...

(Sorry, I got distracted in posting on this thread - my company came earlier then I was expecting - all have left now and we are back to us two and....silence. :-))

2012/1/2 10:13Profile
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Re:

QUOTE:
"I am sure when Joseph received conformation of what Mary had said, he believed Mary and the Angel."

I find this beautiful. The LORD took responsibility to affirm to Joseph that what indeed happened to Mary was from Him...

Imagine you being Joseph and how well would you have responded to this news? would you have been so believing? believing this wild tale that your fiancee is pregnant via of the Holy Spirit?

2012/1/2 10:19Profile
Christinyou

Ca.

Re:

I find this beautiful also; "I find this beautiful. The LORD took responsibility to affirm to Joseph that what indeed happened to Mary was from Him..."

Is not God absoultly perfection in His revelation to His children?

Amen, In Christ: Phillip

2012/1/2 17:56Profile
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Re: Matthew 1:24-25 NASB

Matthew 1:24-25

24And Joseph awoke from his sleep and did as the angel of the Lord commanded him, and took Mary as his wife,

25but kept her a virgin until she gave birth to a Son; and he called His name Jesus.

COMMENT:

I find Joseph's prompt obedience inspiring. After being told by the angel to take Mary, he acted promptly. There was no debate about whether the angel meant what he said or its implications to his future plans: he just did it! WOW!

I studied Jewish wedding traditions and according to it, their celebrations lasted several days. There was food, fellowship and privately a consummation of their relationship. Scripture does not say they had a wedding in the traditional sense that was inherent in their culture. One could believe they didn't but maybe they did. In any case, Joseph kept his wife a virgin until she had given birth.

We see in Joseph a very disciplined man: His desire to please God was greater then his own personal pleasures; his prompt obedience to the message from the angel is commendable. It is no wonder Scripture calls him a righteous man.

How well do we stack up in comparison to him?

More to come...

2012/1/3 8:26Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy