SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Articles and Sermons : Job’s High Standard of Life by Zac Poonen

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 )
PosterThread
pilgrim777

Re:

The Lord ministers His tender mercies and kindness in many ways.

1) By His Spirit
2) Through His Body
3) Even through kind and compassionate people that may not be Believers.

Eph 4:32 And be ye kind one to another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God for Christ's sake hath forgiven you.

The Lord showed us in the examples of Job's comforters how NOT to be.

We are called to love, forgive, be merciful and this will allow the Holy Spirit to do what He needs to do in the hearts of others.

Jobs comforters show me that self-sufficient men that have never had problems don't think anyone should "complain" to God. Job's comforters (self-sufficient, trusting in themselves) did not show mercy because they have never experienced it.

Pilgrim

2012/1/19 14:02Profile
rookie

Savannah TN

Re:

pilgrim 777 wrote:

"The Lord ministers His tender mercies and kindness in many ways.

1) By His Spirit
2) Through His Body
3) Even through kind and compassionate people that may not be Believers."

Yes. Let's take each one at a time...What does Scriptures say about how God, by His Spirit, extends His tender mercies to those who are afflicted?

2012/1/19 14:57Profile
pilgrim777

Re:

Rookie, I added this one to the list.

2) He comforts us through the Scriptures.

"The Lord ministers His tender mercies and kindness in many ways.

1) By His Spirit
Php 2:1 If there be therefore any consolation in Christ, if any comfort of love, if any fellowship of the Spirit, if any bowels and mercies,

2) Through the Scriptures
Rom 15:4 For whatsoever things were written aforetime were written for our learning, that we through patience and comfort of the scriptures might have hope.

3) Through His Body
1Th 5:11 Wherefore comfort yourselves together, and edify one another, even as also ye do.

2Co 7:13 Therefore we were comforted in your comfort: yea, and exceedingly the more joyed we for the joy of Titus, because his spirit was refreshed by you all.

4) Even through kind and compassionate people that may not be Believers."
Jas 1:17 Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, and cometh down from the Father of lights, with whom is no variableness, neither shadow of turning.

Pilgrim

2012/1/19 15:37Profile
rookie

Savannah TN

Re:

"Let's take each one at a time...What does Scriptures say about how God, by His Spirit, extends His tender mercies to those who are afflicted?"

Job 36:7 He does not withdraw His eyes from the righteous; But [they are] on the throne with kings, For He has seated them forever, And they are exalted.

Job 36:8 And if [they are] bound in fetters, Held in the cords of affliction,

Job 36:9 Then He tells them their work and their transgressions--That they have acted defiantly.

Job 36:10 He also opens their ear to instruction, And commands that they turn from iniquity.

In the book of Job we see that the Holy Spirit opens man's ears to instruction, God speaks to man. Listen to what the Scriptures say in the book of Job...

Job 42:7 And so it was, after the LORD had spoken these words to Job, that the LORD said to Eliphaz the Temanite, "My wrath is aroused against you and your two friends, for you have not spoken of Me [what is] right, as My servant Job [has].

Psa 119:49 ZAYIN. Remember the word to Your servant, Upon which You have caused me to hope.

Psa 119:50 This [is] my comfort in my affliction, For Your word has given me life.

In verse 49, is this not the definition of faith that we are given in the book of Hebrews?

2012/1/21 11:21Profile
rookie

Savannah TN

Re:

In the midst of affliction we have this testimony of the writer of Psalm 119...

Psa 119:81 KAPH. My soul faints for Your salvation, But I hope in Your word.

Psa 119:82 My eyes fail [from searching] Your word, Saying, "When will You comfort me?"

Psa 119:83 For I have become like a wineskin in smoke, [Yet] I do not forget Your statutes.

This man has, through walking with the Lord, found that only God's word can bring comfort. We find that God has trained this man to search the Scriptures for comfort. Through the Holy Spirit, this man has found that God's word has always been the substance of his hope.

Psa 119:105 NUN. Your word [is] a lamp to my feet And a light to my path.

Psa 119:106 I have sworn and confirmed That I will keep Your righteous judgments.

Psa 119:107 I am afflicted very much; Revive me, O LORD, according to Your word.

Job testifies of the same precept...

Job 42:3 [You asked], 'Who [is] this who hides counsel without knowledge?' Therefore I have uttered what I did not understand, Things too wonderful for me, which I did not know.

Job declares that due to his lack of understanding he uttered foolish words. But now that God has given him understanding, it is this understanding that cause Job's heart to swell with praise. God revealed "Things too wonderful for (him), which (he) did not know."

These are the tender mercies of the Lord. Until the Lord speaks there is no comfort. Until He gives one understanding, one is unable to do anything about his or her circumstance.

What then is the source of our affliction? Why does God's ways cause us to suffer?

2012/1/22 19:47Profile
rookie

Savannah TN

Re:

"What then is the source of our affliction? Why does God's ways cause us to suffer? "

Job 33:19 "[Man] is also chastened with pain on his bed, And with strong [pain] in many of his bones,

Job 33:20 So that his life abhors bread, And his soul succulent food.

Job 33:21 His flesh wastes away from sight, And his bones stick out [which once] were not seen.

Job 33:22 Yes, his soul draws near the Pit, And his life to the executioners.

Job 33:23 "If there is a messenger for him, A mediator, one among a thousand, To show man His uprightness,

Job 33:24 Then He is gracious to him, and says, 'Deliver him from going down to the Pit; I have found a ransom';

Job 33:25 His flesh shall be young like a child's, He shall return to the days of his youth.

Job 33:26 He shall pray to God, and He will delight in him, He shall see His face with joy, For He restores to man His righteousness.

Job 33:27 Then he looks at men and says, 'I have sinned, and perverted [what was] right, And it did not profit me.'

Job 33:28 He will redeem his [fn] soul from going down to the Pit, And his [fn] life shall see the light.

Job 33:29 "Behold, God works all these [things], Twice, [in fact], three [times] with a man,

Job 33:30 To bring back his soul from the Pit, That he may be enlightened with the light of life.

This is one of God's ways of saving men from the pit, so that they might be enlightened with the light of life.

But this is not the "source" or reason for our affliction, it is the consequence of something more basic, what is it?

2012/1/24 7:07Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy