SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Heaven is for Real - Book - How Legitimate is it?

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread
EvangelTam

Heaven is for Real - Book - How Legitimate is it?

Hey all,

A book called "Heaven is for real" has been all the rage lately. My parents are really into it and I am a bit concerned it really goes into what he saw though from what I hear it is in line with scripture.

It is about a 6 year old boy who went to heaven and came back and tells of his experiences.

Here is the link:
http://heavenisforreal.net/

and a review on it
http://www.challies.com/book-reviews/heaven-is-for-real

What do you guys think?

2011/12/17 20:26Profile
Sree

Re: Heaven is for Real - Book - How Legitimate is it?

I have no idea about this book but I would say such books are written for making money. I was reading the book of Sadhu Sundar Singh, a man who saw Jesus when he was 15 and was a greatest evangelist ever lived in India. He has seen heaven but does not deliver much info about the scenes there, because he says if he tries to describe them in words the beauty will be lost.

2011/12/17 20:40Profile
ginnyrose

Mississippi

I have not read the book but have friends that did and they all loved it.

There are people who are skeptical of all visions purported to have been seen by people. If you were to google 'visions of heaven' you will find many posts written by folks who believe they have seen heaven.

I have also read accounts of people who I know are honest, godly people who have seen heaven. So, these accounts do exist but to discern which ones are legitimate becomes a task for the discerning individual. Let me explain: I had a customer who shared an incident in which he said he saw heaven. I do not doubt his story, but I do doubt its source, his interpretation. I doubt him because of the rest of his story does not add up Biblically. (And no, he did not see Jesus.)

The reason I doubt it is because he said he is going to work hard to get to the peaceful place he saw. He showed me his Masonic ring, telling me this will help him achieve it. I about choked - never had anyone tell me the like before!

Yes, the devil can give people visions...

If you were to google "visions of heaven" you will find some weird stories...actually, I am not sure it is worth your time.

God bless.

2011/12/17 21:09Profile
Lysa

East TN (for now)

Quote:
What do you guys think?

Read it for yourself and see, that's the only way you will truly know. The father of the boy is a pastor and supports everything with scripture. I read it and I loved it.

God bless,
Lisa

2011/12/17 21:22Profile
Theophila

@ EvangelTam, I have read the book. Legit all the way. I would read it all over again. I have learnt not to put too much importance on reviews of books and movies. If you don't want to buy it, you could borrow it from your local library or from you parents.

@ Sree, from what I read, this book was not written to make money. The boy's father waited on the Lord to see if it was His will for them to write about their boy's experiences with the Lord.
You may want to read the book yourself. I believe it will bless you.

2011/12/17 21:30Profile
Solomon101

America's Heartand

Re:

Hey EvangelTam-

I did read the book. Liked it and would recommend it to anyone else.

I do agree with Lysa however... read it for yourself. That is the only way to get a true finding. Otherwise all you get is opinions whether pro or con. Very often those opinions are from folks that never even actually read the book.

So... my 2 cents is that is was an enjoyable read. I would recommend it to anyone. However, you have to read it for yourself to find how it affects your own life.

Blessings To You!

2011/12/17 21:58Profile
EvangelTam

Re:

Hey all,

Thanks for your replies they were most helpful!

In Christ
Evangel

2011/12/17 23:54Profile
savannah

Q. What end does this book serve the believer/unbeliever that His Word the Bible, and His Spirit in us, does not?

The title - Heaven is for Real. This is a given to the believer who reads and believes the Bible. The title assumes we need further revelation than the Word of Truth we have received from above.

As christians we walk by faith and not by sight. That faith shall one day be sight but not now. That faith is evidence and assurance of things not seen.

This book and all books of this nature are all suspect at the least.

Lazarus or others whom Jesus raised from death back to this life, very well could have given a true account of that place called heaven, but the Holy Spirit did not see fit in having it so. Paul could have as well, but the Holy Spirit instructed him not to do it, that it was even unlawful for him to speak about those things (2 Cor. 12:4).

Do we not have enough written by the Holy Spirit through John in Revelation describing that beautiful place called heaven! If we're not satisfied with what the Holy Spirit has chosen to reveal, then we may end up as Saul trying to get a glimpse into the other side through unlawful means. And we just may get our hearts unlawful passions satisfied!

As for the unbeliever, it is more of a distraction from his real need of the Gospel, in its convicting power to convert the soul of the sinner, commanding repentance and faith in Jesus alone for his assurance of an abundant entrance into that place we call heaven.

Books of this sort are as popular as the magazine,"The Inquirer". The stories and descriptions will certainly peak your interest, and that is why they're selling like hotcakes and there will be no end to new ones written on heaven as well as hell visitations. Some are certainly more believable than others,and that's no surprise,because such is the nature of subtilty.

How Legitimate is it? You ask! Its legitimacy ought to be discerned as the word (legitimate) itself implies, by its,
1. Lawfulness of birth; opposed to bastardy.
2. Genuineness; opposed to spuriousness. (Webster)

For we did not follow cunningly devised fables, when we made known unto you the power and coming of our Lord Jesus Christ, but we were eyewitnesses of his majesty. For he received from God the Father honour and glory, when there came such a voice to him from the excellent glory, This is my beloved Son, in whom I am well pleased: and this voice we ourselves heard come out of heaven, when we were with him in the holy mount. And we have the word of prophecy made more sure; whereunto ye do well that ye take heed, as unto a lamp shining in a dark place, until the day dawn, and the day–star arise in your hearts: knowing this first, that no prophecy of scripture is of private interpretation.
For no prophecy ever came by the will of man: but men spake from God, being moved by the Holy Ghost. 2 Pet. 1:16-21

If anyone says I speak too boldly and my statements are presumptuous judgements...I ask you who think so...what does this book and books like it do?

2011/12/18 0:18Profile
ArtB

New York

I read "Heaven is for Real" about a year ago.

At first I was a bit suspicious "Heaven is for real" because I thought it was simply a copycat of 4 year old Aldo McPherson's 2004 auto accident that left him nearly dead, and years in a coma and disfigured from the accident, and during that time in a coma he went to heaven and spent time with Jesus and the angels, and he shares what he heard and saw, and what the Holy Spirit reveals to him. .

I was skeptical about the McPherson's at first, but after a few months I became convinced what they were sharing about Heaven and God's mission for them was a very real and true experience, and what Aldo and Rheta (His mother) revealed from The Holy Spirit, whom Aldo also calls 'Wisdom', is true. Ever since then, Aldo, Rheta, and their family now have a very vibrant missionary outreach around the world, and they do this without any personal monetary gain, and with much personal sacrifice. The McPherson's live in South Africa.

Read a short intro at

http://www.rethamcpherson.com/tabid/348/Default.aspx

Over the past few years, I have become very convinced that God has given them a very credible witness to the gospel and Jesus return, involving serious personal sacrifices on their part to serve God as instructed.

For their letters about their experiences and the Holy Spirit's revelations and their ministry to the saved and unsaved, see:

http://www.rethamcpherson.com/tabid/356/Default.aspx

2011/12/18 10:02Profile
ginnyrose

Mississippi

90 Minutes in Heaven - Don Piper

"90 Minutes in Heaven" - Don Piper is an inspiring read, one I would recommend.Piper has a sequel "Heaven is Real" that you might enjoy as well.

We hear so much gloom and doom today that is is encouraging to read accounts of people who have seen heaven. That may be one reason I enjoy the book of Revelation so much, especially chapter four. I love to visualize the scene John describes there...ah! so beautiful - it taxes my imagination.

Mary K. Baxter wrote about the afterlife as well. Her work is controversial...there is enough other legitimate writings on the subject that I would not waste my time with hers. (But some may disagree with me on this one.)

Take care and be blessed!

2011/12/18 10:03Profile

©2002-2019 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy