SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : Are You Spiritual – And Not Under Law?

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread
dietolive

Are You Spiritual – And Not Under Law?

Are you spiritual – yet hate the law? But if you are spiritual, you know the law is too.

“For we know that the law is SPIRITUAL...” Romans 7:14

Are you spiritual – yet compare the convictions of others to your own notion of things? Or according to the notions of others around you?

Yet the spiritual only compare spiritual things (convictions) with spiritual things (the word of God).

“Which things also we speak, not in the words which man's wisdom teacheth, but which the Holy Ghost teacheth; comparing spiritual things with spiritual.”
I Corinthians 2:13

Are you spiritual - yet place your own opinion, or the opinion of the culture around you, above the word of God? But the spiritual neither consult their own opinion, nor that of the culture around them.

“...I judge not mine own self. For I know NOTHING by myself...”
I Corinthians 4:3-4

Yet,

“...he that is spiritual judgeth ALL THINGS, yet he himself is judged of no man...” I Corinthians 2:15

He is not judged by his culture, but rather, he IS JUDGED by the Spirit who inspired the word of God.

Are you spiritual – yet think you are under no constraint? That there is no requirement placed upon you?

“If any man think himself to be a prophet, or spiritual, let him acknowledge that the things that I write unto you are the COMMANDMENTS of the Lord.”
I Corinthians 14:37

Are you spiritual - yet?

Be well,
Doug

2011/12/8 14:27Profile
a-servant

Re: Are You Spiritual – And Not Under Law?

"Are you spiritual – yet hate the law? But if you are spiritual, you know the law is too."

Ok, but i would need to be spiritual to understand what you just said :-)

I think the problem is in fact that many cannot define what it means "to be spiritual", except that it's got to be somehow "contrary to the law". But is it?

Romans 7:22  For I delight in the law of God after the inward man:

it doesn't seem to be contrary to the "inward man" or the spiritual man,

so who is it then that objects the mentioning of God's law? Well, if it cannot be the inward man, it has to be the outward man.

2011/12/9 0:27Profile
dietolive

Re: a-servant

Dear a-servant,

Good points... There is something about the Law of God that irks the flesh; we all know that is true...

Quote:
"Ok, but i would need to be spiritual to understand what you just said :-)"

Yes, exactly. The Scriptures tell us plainly, yet we often have a hard time seeing what being "spiritual" means according to it. I think, mostly, this is because we so often are "reacting" according to our fears and feelings, or against the things we see in the world, instead of simply "believing" the words we see in the Scriptures, come what may.

ALSO - A very important point to make is that so many misunderstand I Corinthians 2:14 on this very point. For it isn't that the "natural man" cannot possibly understand the Scriptures that teach us all what it is to be spiritual, but rather, it is that he WILL NOT "RECEIVE" and accept them.

He clearly DOES understand what the literal word commands him to do, (because God wrote plainly to those who want to know), but instead of receiving the word and doing it, he first stops and considers his own opinion and the opinions of the world around him.... And just as surely as night follows day, he will side with his own foolish and decietful heart and the like hearts of others, rather than agree with His own Creator.

The "natural man" cannot possibly agree with Jesus or His apostles; he cannot possibly agree with the Spirit who inspired their holy commandments, because if taken literally, obedience to them and their words would always require some measure of "suffering for righteousness sake", and suffering for others, whether it be for God or his neighbor, "IS FOOLISHNESS."

Be well,
Doug

2011/12/9 10:11Profile

Are you spiritual – yet hate the law? But if you are spiritual, you know the law is too.

Does it mean we must abide by the law? I'm not sure I understand the quote.

2011/12/9 13:14
dietolive

Re: theEphah

Dear theEphah,

Hello, welcome, and God bless you...

You wrote:
"Does it mean we must abide by the law? I'm not sure I understand the quote."

Yes. Real Christians will endeavor to obey everything Christ and his apostles commanded in the Bible. This is the Law of Christ, that He and His holy apostles expounded for us, His Body, in the New Testament.

Jesus is our spiritual Head, but generally speaking, what He wants us to believe and do is not something to be sought for in some "spiritual" mystical way though. There are so many false-teachings and doctrines blowing around, yet we have open Bibles, do we not? Let's look there. Did our Lord not say:

"In that hour Jesus rejoiced in spirit, and said, I thank thee, O Father, Lord of heaven and earth, that thou hast hid these things from the wise and prudent, and hast revealed them unto babes: even so, Father; for so it seemed good in thy sight." Luke 10:21

Read the Word of God, desiring its sincere truths as a new-born babe desires his mother's milk, and believe what it says, regardless of how you or others feel about it.

Did He not say?,
"Ye are my friends, IF ye do WHATSOEVER I command you." John 15:14

Our Lord awaits us, if by faith we will do this thing. He has a Crown of Life to place upon our victorious heads on the Last Day.

"...be thou faithful unto death, and I will give thee a crown of life." Revelation 2:10

Be well, be encouraged in Christ Jesus, and thank you for taking the time write.

Doug

2011/12/9 15:00Profile

- dietolive - thank you for taking the time to explain.

2011/12/9 16:59
Elibeth

Re:

This is such Good ...Godly counsel,...I love it....

Elizabeth

Sorry,..I must have clicked twice.

2011/12/9 20:32Profile
Elibeth

Re:

This is such Good ...Godly counsel,...I love it....

Elizabeth

2011/12/9 20:32Profile
a-servant

Re:

"For it isn't that the "natural man" cannot possibly understand the Scriptures that teach us all what it is to be spiritual, but rather, it is that he WILL NOT "RECEIVE" and accept them."

But why would he not accept them......i used to get upset that people misread clear scripture and reverse its meaning by one hundered percent directly the next line under it. But it's not a comrehension problem first of all, it's real spiritual battle. We think in "models" that filters sentences that seem contrary to the general model of thought. And it's not curable on an intellectual level, if it would be a matter of simply logic it would be easier to solve. Only true grace can break the bondage, that's usually kept alive by some unconfessed sin, powering a real mystery of iniquity that changes our thinking to become self-serving, based on our own standard, and so we develop a blind spot while looking at God's standard.

Romans 8:7  Because the carnal mind is enmity against God: for it is not subject to the law of God, neither indeed can be.

Some think the way out of that is to redefine sin, believe in Jesus and then God's law has died to us. But few ever consider that it is us that die, and not the law. Then Christ Jesus becomes the life in us, and we walk as he walked, by faith. Yes, that's considered the "foolishness of the cross".

2011/12/9 20:57Profile
ArtB

New York

by dietolive on 2011/12/8 11:27:13 writes:

"Are you spiritual – yet hate the law? But if you are spiritual, you know the law is too.

“For we know that the law is SPIRITUAL...” Romans 7:14"

Depends on which Covenant and the set of laws of the two different Covenants mentioned in the Bible. The Old Covenant of Moses, or the New Covenant of Jesus Christ. These two covenants are very different with two very different sets of Laws, and outcomes.

All who place themselves under the Mosaic Covenant with its' 613 laws, will perish.

All who place themselves under the Laws of Jesus Christ will live by faith and have eternal life and the life that is abundantly good.

2011/12/25 9:50Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy