SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : General Topics : wondering....what if?

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
MaryJane

wondering....what if?

And the multitude of them that believed were of one heart and of one soul: neither said any of them that any of the things which he possessed was his own; but they had all things common. Acts 4:32

I was thinking about the above verse and was wondering...do you suppose the reason so many in the body of believers struggles today to make ends meet is because we have such a "take care of my own" attitude today? It would seem from the Bible that as the church was just beginning they shared all they had with each other and no one wanted for anything. I was thinking do you suppose this sharing and giving to one another extended to skills, and abilities also. Do you suppose that if there was a sister in need of a new article of clothing another sister would help sew it without charging for the work? Or if someones house was in need of repair, other brothers got together and shared the work load all with out cost to the one? What about child care, do you suppose they helped each other watching their children with out charging? What about teaching each others children...all the brothers an sisters together sharing and pouring JESUS truth and light into the lives of the young ones.... Daily investing time and energy to seeing each other encouraged to walk with our LORD!

I realize it was a different time but i was just thinking about how closely knit they were as a group and their desire was to please the LORD and help each other. I was thinking how might it look if as the body of believers we carried each others burdens including those that are physical concerning day to day living?? IF I have plumbing skills and I fixed your pipes with out charging you as a brother in Christ, or if you had car mechanic skills and you fixed my car with out charging me because we were all a part of the same family living and carrying for each other. What if you as a physician cared for your sick brethren with out charging them...and they feed you with out expecting anything in return. What if we loved each other and our children in one accord as servants to Christ? (wondering???)

Of course I am not saying this is a doctrine that has to be followed or that anyone is in sin if they do charge their brother in Christ for plumbing work but I am just wondering what it would look like to live with fellow believers in such a manner. Living together daily, moment by moment seeking only to further HIS Kingdom and to lift up HIS name???? One goal, one desire to walk with and know JESUS and share HIS light and love with those around you?? A true family of believers, a group of mighty warriors following their KING daily!!!

I bet they would be a formidable adversary to the enemy...I bet he would be so disgusted by their love for one another and their love and devotion to the LORD!!!!

Just wondering...what if(smile)
God Bless
maryjane

2011/12/8 8:56Profile
lylewise

Celina, Texas

Re: wondering....what if?

MJ I think it is a common held notion that if push came to shove, one would be willing to give his life for a brother/sister or Christ. Dangerous in that God gives us so many opportunities daily to give, share, mentor, evangelize, comfort etc. If we are not faithful in the little things, will we be faithful in the larger? If we wish to measure ourselves, should it not be by scripture as you have adequately identified? Should it not be by example of our Lord and Savior vs. those things that have been widely received and replaced such personal interaction. It should be innate in the believer to show and exercise love in close proximity vs distance (not regarding prayer or encouragement for that is a good part of SI ministry).. The Body was made for close proximity. That which is true and real will find itself tested in the things you alluded to MJ. May we all have the heart to recognize the many opportunities to love. The Lord being graceful, lets us see the true applications of these things, and they should find themselves in the REAL and INTIMATE and not just the theory and notion of the ideal.

2011/12/8 9:54Profile
Sree

Re: wondering....what if?

Quote:

I was thinking about the above verse and was wondering...do you suppose the reason so many in the body of believers struggles today to make ends meet is because we have such a "take care of my own" attitude today? It would seem from the Bible that as the church was just beginning they shared all they had with each other and no one wanted for anything.

As you have already mentioned further in your post we cannot create a doctrine of sharing in a church. The book of Acts cannot be used as a standard for how to run a church. The book of Acts is like a history book that talks about the history of events. There is no commandment here that we should all follow to build a church unlike the letters of Paul and other apostles. Still there are few Churches that consider this book seriously and build their body based on such sharing. Once Brother Zac Poonan told he was invited to such a Church in Canada to speak, where they max allowed only 150 people in a group of believers to form church. They divided when the number increased and they shared everything. He spoke to the elder and the elder accepted that there is adultery and immorality among some families. So this is not the solution to bring Christlikeness in a body of believers.

2011/12/8 10:18Profile

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy