SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Looking for free sermon messages?
Sermon Podcast | Audio | Video

Discussion Forum : Articles and Sermons : THE HEATHENISM OF WORRY by David Wilkerson

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
sermonindex

"Pilgrim and Sojourner." - 1 Peter 2:11

Online!
 THE HEATHENISM OF WORRY by David Wilkerson

“Therefore take no thought, saying, What shall we eat? or, What shall we drink? or, Wherewithal shall we be clothed? (For after all these things do the Gentiles seek)” (Matthew 6:31-32).

Jesus tells us that worry—about the future of our family, about jobs, about how we are to survive—is a heathen’s way of life. Jesus is talking here about those who have no heavenly Father. They do not know God as he wants to be known, as a caring, providing, loving Father in heaven.

“Take no thought for tomorrow” (v. 34). In these plain words, Jesus commands us, “Do not give a thought, do not give a worry, about what might or might not happen tomorrow. You can’t change anything. And you can’t help by worrying. When you do, you’re only doing as the heathen do.” Then Jesus says, “Seek ye first the kingdom of God and His righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you” (v. 33). In other words, you are to go on loving Jesus. You are to move on, casting all your cares on him. You are to go on resting in his faithfulness. Your heavenly Father will see to it that you are supplied with all the essential things of life.

I wonder if the angels are baffled by all the worrying and anxiousness of those who claim to trust in God. To them it must seem so degrading, so insulting to the Lord, that we worry as if we had no caring Father in heaven. What perplexing questions the angels must ask among themselves: “Have they no Father who is in heaven? Do they not believe he loves them? Did he not tell them he knows all about their needs? Do they not believe that he who feeds the birds and the whole animal kingdom will feed and clothe them? How can they fret and worry if they know he owns all power, all wealth, and can supply the needs of all creation? Would they accuse their heavenly Father of neglect, as if he was not true to his word?”

You have a heavenly Father. Trust him!

2011/12/6 20:37Profile
a-servant

Re: THE HEATHENISM OF WORRY by David Wilkerson

Seems to be simple enough, but these questions of how we're going to pay the bills tomorrow were always part of my life. Sure, it was a great concept to walk by faith, but in actuality i always worried about finances. I would say my personal walk in that regard didn't actually really start until I took these Matthew scriptures literally and simply believed that it was so. Many believers underestimate such harmless phrases as "Consider the lilies of the field", but for me it was the key to get started in walking by faith, and not rely on the worlds' safety mechanisms.

Important is to regard the context of all this, that starts earlier with Matt 6:24  No man can serve two masters: for either he will hate the one, and love the other; or else he will hold to the one, and despise the other. Ye cannot serve God and mammon.

Not until this question is answered in the heart the struggle and the worries about tomorrow ended. It's really one of these "from faith to faith" issues, just like personal health. Once you sign over everything related to Jesus, He will take care of it in all practicality. And He will answer prayers related to these daily needs. And that is after admitting total personal defeat first.

2011/12/6 21:56Profile
rickyearle

Re: THE HEATHENISM OF WORRY by David Wilkerson

I read this initially the other day, and then was struck when I saw it just now again over the fact brother Wilkerson had passed on. It seems like 10 years ago when I first heard him preach was just several months ago.

Life is truly a vapour.

"You have a heavenly Father. Trust him!"

2011/12/8 21:24Profile
rickyearle

Re:

This is one of the greatest "devotions" I have ever read. We all need much more of this child-like faith.

2011/12/8 21:28Profile
sermonindex

"Pilgrim and Sojourner." - 1 Peter 2:11

Online!
 Re:

Quote:
This is one of the greatest "devotions" I have ever read. We all need much more of this child-like faith.

Amen brother. This article is very encouraging towards putting our child-like trust in God. It is so easy to complicate things when the Lord has everything in His control. We must believe Him and Trust Him.

2011/12/8 21:56Profile

©2002-2018 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy