SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Revivals And Church History : The Church

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 )
PosterThread
JT1

Re:

@sonsigns, Haha, right, the mormons are pretty recent. As far as the research goes, I have found that most of the denominations (somewhere in the thousands) all stemmed from the protestant reformation. If one can see that these denominations are a recent thing and not directly related to the early Church, then all you have left to look at that existed before the reformation are the Catholic Church and the Orthodox Church. The concept of denominations is foreign to the early Church and only an idea of recent times. We try to get away from it by taking on the label 'non-denominational' but the reality is that even that is a denomination or branch from the reformation. Denominationalism is quite destructive and not rooted in love. Christ's prayer and desire expressed to the Father was for the Church to be one(John 17). The Catholic church and the reformation has led to an accumulation of confusion and heresy.

I haven't been blogging my findings but I have come across some good resources though. The question that got me going was who is the Church? Could there be many Churches or many Gospels coming from different Churches? This resource has helped me understand a bit as far as the claim many Christian groups have to being the "One Holy Catholic and Apostolic Church" spoken of in the Nicene Creed established in 325ad- if you're interested: http://ancientfaith.com/podcasts/illuminedheart/the_true_visible_church_is_it_eastern_orthodox

Blessings,JT

2011/12/14 19:32Profile
JT1

Re:

@martyr, do you mean considering the church in Iran or China as being the Church established by the Apostles? Thanks, JT

2011/12/14 19:34Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy