SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : News and Current Events : Touring the devastation, Annan asks, ‘Where are the people?’

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
sermonindex

"Pilgrim and Sojourner." - 1 Peter 2:11

Online!
 Touring the devastation, Annan asks, ‘Where are the people?’

[img]http://www.sermonindex.net/images/forum/2004/may/featured_news.gif[/img]

BANDA ACEH, Indonesia - U.N. Secretary-General Kofi Annan described the devastation on tsunami-battered Sumatra island Friday as the worst he’s ever seen, and authorities raised Indonesia’s death toll by 7,000, bringing the overall total killed by the disaster to more than 147,000.

Twelve days after the tsunami hit, Annan and World Bank President James Wolfensohn flew over the island’s west coast and later drove around the shattered coastal town of Meulaboh, where families picked through piles of rubble six feet high.

“I have never seen such utter destruction mile after mile,” a shaken Annan told reporters. “You wonder where are the people? What has happened to them?”

Hardest hit was Sumatra, which was closest to the epicenter of the 9.0 magnitude quake, and where officials on Friday counted about 7,000 additional bodies — mostly in Meulaboh, which had been cut off by washed-out roads — raising Indonesia’s toll to 101,318.

That raised the overall death toll from the Dec. 26 earthquake and tsunami to 147,531.

With tens of thousands still missing and threatened by disease from the powerful waves that hit 11 nations, the United Nations said the death toll would keep climbing.

“I think we have to be aware that very, very many of the victims have been swept away and many, many will not reappear,” U.N. humanitarian chief Jan Egeland said in New York. “The 150,000 dead figure is a very low figure. It will be much bigger.”

2005/1/8 12:34Profile
phebebird

San Pedro, California

Re: Touring the devastation, Annan asks, ‘Where are the people?’

The magnitude of this is just unbelievable! I read a letter to the editor in our local paper where a man was chastising the paper for printing pictures of dead children in the wreckage of the tsunami on the front page. "It was in very poor taste" he said, going on to say "we don't want to see that". While I understand that it would be wrong if the paper was printing is only for sensationalism, I couldn't help thinking--"but those are real children and real lives! It really happened! We must not stay in our safe bubble!"

Phebe

2005/1/8 12:45Profile
sermonindex

"Pilgrim and Sojourner." - 1 Peter 2:11

Online!
 Re:

Quote:
"but those are real children and real lives! It really happened! We must not stay in our safe bubble!"

WOW phebe thank you for sharing that.. it really burdens my heart to pray for the victims of this diaster and that our media would not abuse or look at this callousedly as an "event" to be watched.

2005/1/9 9:28Profile
crsschk

Santa Clara, CA

Re:

Quote:
"but those are real children and real lives! It really happened! We must not stay in our safe bubble!"

Quote:
really burdens my heart to pray for the victims of this disaster and that our media would not abuse or look at this callousedly as an [b]"event"[/b] to be watched.

Agree with both of those sentiments, the latter being something that is very disturbing even on our local Christian radio station out here. They have since hired a rather deep baritone voice- over guy and it is puzzling, but got to wonder if he always talks this way.

During last years hurricane season they did a spot for a particular ministry and every time it came on it gave me the chills*. Complete with the storm sounds and the dialect of...in fact, I actually though it was a rider for a new movie! Something along the lines of;

"[i]After the devastation of hurricane Charlie and on the heels of hurricane Frances... now comes [/i].... [b][i]Ivaaan[/i][/b] (ridiculous overemphesis)" Crash! Thunder! (More sound effects) [i]"Won't you give to, blah, blah, blah..."[/i]

All this manipulation, so unnescessary...

*Make that, 'the creeps'.

2005/1/9 10:19Profile
crsschk

Santa Clara, CA

Re:

This is just so beyond us..
Don't know if this has been posted before, it's quite long...but thought provoking.

[b]The earth shook, the sea rose up
January 1, 2005[/b]

"It was a catastrophe that reminded us of our fragile existence, and of our humanity. Report by Herald correspondents."

[url=http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2004/12/31/1104344986750.html]http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2004/12/31/1104344986750.html[/url]

You may have to sign up for this if I recall correctly.

2005/1/9 14:17Profile
crsschk

Santa Clara, CA

Re:

[url=http://www.smh.com.au/news/Asia-Tsunami/Body-pit-enough-to-make-a-commander-cry/2005/01/09/1105205983693.html]Body pit enough to make a commander cry[/url]

2005/1/9 14:51Profile

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Affiliate Disclosure | Privacy Policy