SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Promoting Authentic Biblical Christianity.
Looking for free sermon messages?
Sermon Podcast | Audio | Video

Discussion Forum : Articles and Sermons : Spirit-Filled Lives by by Gerhard du Toit

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
sermonindex

"Pilgrim and Sojourner." - 1 Peter 2:11

Online!
 Spirit-Filled Lives by by Gerhard du Toit

What does it mean to live a life in the presence of God’s Spirit? What does it mean for my life to be effective in this world in which we are living today?

I don’t think it is possible for us to come to grips with this tremendous subject of the unction of God’s Spirit upon my life as a believer until I recognize how this anointing of God’s Spirit manifested itself upon the life of the Lord Jesus. One might say, “Surely God does not want me to compare my life with the life and the ministry of the Lord Jesus?” Remember at the end of the Gospel of Luke when Jesus turned to His disciples and said “I want you to tarry until you have received this enduement from my Father.” This can also be translated “I want you to sit down until you have received this anointing of my Spirit upon your relationship with God.” Surely then God wants us to be conformed to the life of His Son.

Therefore look at the promise of the anointing of God’s Spirit upon the life of the Lord Jesus. Consider the purpose of this anointing on the life of the Saviour. Examine the power of the anointing of God’s Spirit. The Gospel of the Lord Jesus Christ never, ever neutralizes people, it is too powerful. Whenever the Lord Jesus opened His mouth one of two things happened, they all either welcomed Him or there was a sense of wrath upon the lives of those people. There were those that accepted Him and those that rejected Him. And that’s the power of this unction of the Spirit of God.

Yet why was it that the Lord Jesus was anointed with the Spirit of God?

1. It was because of the life of holiness unto His Father.
Jesus was holy, He was harmless, He was undefiled, and He was separate. In His relationship to His Father He was the holy Son of God. In His relationship to His fellowmen He was absolutely harmless, in His relationship to His ministry He was undefiled, in His relationship to Himself He become the prophet, the priest, and the king.

How then will the Spirit of God and the presence of God’s Spirit rest upon my life as an individual believer? There needs to be a sense in which my life as a Christian needs to be set apart unto God. I can only be full of the Holy Spirit of God to the capacity that my life as a believer is separated unto God. Do you recognize the meaning of this wonderful word sanctification is not so much for us to be set apart from this world as it means for us to be set apart unto God? If my life is set apart unto God I will experience that my relationship with God will be so taken up with the life and the ministry of the Lord Jesus that the world and its influences will not have an effect upon my relationship with God! God is able to sanctify me extensively, and He is able to sanctify me experientially in my relationship with Him. Is there a longing in your heart as a believer to be separated unto God?

2. It was because of the life of yieldness unto His Father.
When we speak about the life of fullness of God’s Spirit, the fullness of God’s Spirit is not a goal, it’s a gateway. The more you give yourself to the Lord Jesus, the more the Lord Jesus is going to surrender that blessedness of His life to your relationship with God. Are our lives yielded to God today? My life must be available to God.

3. It was because of the life of prayerfulness unto His Father.
Have you studied the prayer life of the Lord Jesus? Luke’s Gospel gives us about 59% more information about the prayer life of the Lord Jesus than the other Gospels combined. Why is that? In Luke’s Gospel we see Jesus in his humanity. Deity does not have a necessity to pray. Humanity has a necessity to pray. In the Gospel of Luke we see the Son of Man as a man of intercessory prayer.

But where do you and I stand when it comes to our responsibility to pray? Do we know the secret of what it means to spend time in the presence of God? If you spend three or five minutes in God’s presence do you know the secret of the spirit of prayer resting upon your life as a believer. In your times of prayer do you realize the possibility of finding and the experience of supplicating in the presence of God? If I want to know the anointing of God’s Spirit upon my life, whether it is in private conversation or in public declaration, I need to spend time in the presence of God.

Effective lives in the world in which we live today are lives conformed to the image of Christ. Holy, yielded, and prayerful.

2011/11/25 12:07Profile
Yeshuasboy

Northern Rockies, BC, Canada

Re: Spirit-Filled Lives by by Gerhard du Toit

Love this guy! I've been blessed listening to some of His messages. Love this - "When we speak about the Life of fullness of God's Spirit, the fullness of God's Spirit is not a goal - it's a gateway." Oh, those who have ears to hear let him hear this! Great post Mr Gordon!

2011/11/25 12:31Profile

©2002-2019 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy