SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Promoting Authentic Biblical Christianity.
Looking for free sermon messages?
Sermon Podcast | Audio | Video

Discussion Forum : Articles and Sermons : god has chossen the weak things of this world

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
brothagary

god has chossen the weak things of this world

God in this work has begun at the lower end, and he has made use of the weak and foolish things of the world to carry it on. Some of the ministers chiefly employed, have been mere babes in age and standing; and some of them not so high in reputation among their brethren as many others; and God has suffered their infirmities to appear in the sight of others, so as much to displease them; and at the same time it has pleased God greatly to succeed them, while he has not so succeeded others who are generally reputed vastly their superiors. Yea, there is reason to think that it has pleased God to make use of the infirmities of some, particularly their imprudent zeal, and censorious spirit, to chastise the deadness, negligence, earthly-mindedness, and vanity found among ministers in the late times of declension and deadness, wherein wise virgins and foolish, ministers and people, have sunk into a deep sleep. These things in ministers of the gospel, that go forth as the ambassadors of Christ, and have the 367 care of immortal souls, are extremely abominable to God, vastly more hateful in his sight than all the imprudence and intemperate heats, wildness and distraction (as some call it) of these zealous preachers. A supine carelessness, and a vain, carnal, worldly spirit in a minister of the gospel, is the worst madness and distraction in the sight of God. God may also make use at this day of the unchristian censoriousness of some preachers, the more to humble and purify some of his children and true servants that have been wrongfully censured, to fit them for more eminent service and future honour.

johnathen edwards

2011/11/25 5:04Profile
enid

Nottingham, England

Re: god has chossen the weak things of this world

I'm not certain that I understand all that has been written here.

But I do understand, that in this day and age, as opposed to then, things within Christendom have plummeted to an unprecedented godless level.

We cannot afford to be earthly-minded. It could certainly spell our doom.

What is meant by, '...and have the 367 care of immortal souls...'?

Anyone know? Thanks.

2011/11/25 7:52Profile

Re:

Could he have meant 365, as in days in a year? That would kind of make sense in that context.

I'm just glad to see that someone other than me has discovered Jonathon Edwards!

We need men like him now!

Krispy

2011/11/25 9:59
enid

Nottingham, England

Re:

I guessed it meant that, but the number was slightly off, so I thought I guessed wrong. But, in context, it does make sense.

2011/11/25 10:42Profile
enid

Nottingham, England

Re:

P.S. I'm not a 'man' of God, but I do read Jonathan Edwards too.

And yes, we do need more men like him.

2011/11/25 10:43Profile

Re:

Maybe there was 367 days in a year back then... and then Ben Franklin invented "Day Light Savings" (and the internet).

Krispy

2011/11/25 11:20
brothagary

Re:

lol when i read question last night , enid ,,,i thought maby krispy will know the number means

maby what he is saying is like and exagerating to express the importance of the pastural care for his flock ,extendes beoned 365 days a year

just a thought

2011/11/25 16:26Profile

©2002-2019 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy