SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : Why no dancing?

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 Next Page )
PosterThread
Mikeydarev

Why no dancing?

Hi there guys,

Just a quick question. I've listened to and read through a fair few things on Holiness over the years and a line of thought presented by these preachers/writers keeps coming to mind. They often talk against dancing. Anyone know why?

I'm currently dating/courting a lovely Christian lady and we're looking to learn a bit of dancing such as salsa, waltz and these kind of things. We're also keen on maintaining a pure walk before God. We've both asked the question is dancing alright but I've never heard anyone defend a position either way for dancing being ok or not ok and why.

Any thoughts?

God bless

Mike

2011/11/23 16:34Profile
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Re: Why no dancing?

QUOTE:
" We're also keen on maintaining a pure walk before God. We've both asked the question is dancing alright but I've never heard anyone defend a position either way for dancing being ok or not ok and why."

Would dancing enhance your ability to maintain moral purity?

Apparently you are questioning it, so what are you sensing in your spirit?

2011/11/23 16:57Profile

Brother the question really is.......what does the Lord think???? You have been a member of this forum much longer than I. You know by asking that question all sorts of people will give their opinions. And that is what they will be. Opinions.

I suggest you and the lovely Christian lady pray and inquire of the Holy Spirit. Those who are being led by the Spirit are the sons and daughters of God. It matters not what any man thinks of your dancing. But what does God think. If he releases you to do it, then enjoy. If not. Then he will show you and the lovely Christian lady other good wholesome activities. But I emphasize inquire of God anf not thr Sermon Index forum. I shudder to think the opinions you will get from this crowd.

Blaine

2011/11/23 17:01
twayneb

Joplin, Missouri

Re:

Blaine, are you saying that people in general are opinionated and state it plainly??? :-)

I also think you need to lay this before the Lord and be open to what He thinks. I can tell you that a great deal of dance is very sensual or might I say sexual in nature. It might be argued that some is not and that it is simply fun and exercise, and perhaps that is true. Have you ever watched someone break dancing? However I do believe that there is a reason why the men and women of God who went before me were against it. Seek God and obey Him.

2011/11/23 17:49Profile

Re:

We cant draw a hard fast line that says all forms of dancing are evil. They are not.

Some are very beautiful. I secretly think ballet is very beautiful... but dont tell my wife because then she'll want me to take her all the time! (I'm not crazy seeing men dance ballet tho... thats kinda gay)

Sqaure dancing can be fun.

Formal dances, ball room and waltzes are good.

I know... me, the football coach... I'm probably freaking people out talking like this! You have to understand, my wife has bachelors and masters degrees in music and theater. I'm more cultured than most think I am! (but I still HATE "The Sound of Music"!!)

However, most modern dancing (if not all) to modern music is extremely SEXUAL. You dont have to be Charles Spurgeon to figure this out, it's not rocket science.

So some dance is good, some not good.

Krispy

2011/11/23 18:50

Oh dear me, these questions if what we are doing is wrong or right, Paul would have dismissed these questions immediately saying, "Whatever you do, do all in the name of the Lord, giving thanks".

If your conscience bothers you after you've just done doing the Tango, then that is your cue to stop. Listen to your conscience, it's one of the ways that God uses to get your attention.

2011/11/23 19:05
jimp

Re:

hi, i am 72 and have been dancing since i was 12 and a lot of it in competition around the country. been saved since i was 24. i have never been convicted from the Lord for salsa and swing etc.and have never had any sexual problems while at a studio or a dance event.in fact, i have felt more sexual activity at church. i would not bump or grind but ballroom dancing is fun and great exercise...i have met many fine christian people in the ballroom community.jimp

2011/11/23 19:37Profile
DEADn

Lakeland FL

mmm, I debated whether to add anything to this conversation.
I had a youth pastor tell a group of youth that dancing was sinful because it led to sexual tendency. I told the pastor that if that were the case then there must be a bunch of sexual perverts in the church. There must be men and (women) who cannot control themselves? I think to myself, are christians really that weak and put ourselves in a box? Yeah, some dancing probably is a bit too much like lamba but things like ballroom dancing? Hip hop dancing?

In the end some people may be weak while others are stong. A christian has to understand the leading of the Spirit in these cases if they perceive themselves to be weak in these area. Otherwise we give much power to the power of sex and end up looking for sex even in the hidden corners-and then we wonder why people in the church come out as homosexual or a sexual deviant? Does any of this make sense?

I know that I for one, at times can be sexual stimulated by some forms of dance but it deals more with how much clothing is involved otherwise I watch the dance and maybe do the dance for the exercise or the entertainment of it. Do you think we can really put ourselves into such a box that we really don't allow ourselves to have any fun? Whether it is a form of dancing or something else? Could be A reason why many see the church as prunes to start with.

What do you think?

2011/11/23 21:03Profile
Christinyou

Ca.

Re:

2 Samuel 6:14 And David danced before the LORD with all his might; and David was girded with a linen ephod. All David had on was his underware.

What happened to Davids wife when she put David down for dancing?

Matthew 14:6-8 But when Herod's birthday was kept, the daughter of Herodias danced before them, and pleased Herod. Whereupon he promised with an oath to give her whatsoever she would ask. And she, being before instructed of her mother, said, Give me here John Baptist's head in a charger.

All she had on were seven vails, which she took off.

You make the choice, respecting the leading of the Holy Spirit. Dancing to the Lord or dancing to the devil.

2011/11/23 21:47Profile
brothagary

Re:

i think dancing generaly is sensualin nature

and should only be done with your spouse

or members of the same sex

brothers should be able to dance for joy with clothes on to the lord

i would not copy david he would have been a stubling block for other weak sisters

wile dateing i believe dancing is often ,an excuse to get up close and sensual ,and is surly dangerous

dont do it ,it will led to temptation because you are nomarly sexualy actracted to the one you date

dont make out you are in full self control,,,
especial if you are young ,and a relative new born christan

gard against the flesh in all areas ,,especial in the area of dateing

dont get too close an awaken youthfull lusts

to be total honest dateing is not bibical anyway

so watch out when you copy the worlds way

and remember you never lernt the art of dating from any godly example in scripture

2011/11/23 22:45Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy