SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : General Topics : was it all an illusion?

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
MaryJane

was it all an illusion?

I was watching an older black and white movie recently and it got me wondering about some things. The movie was a family movie about life during the late 1940 after world war two. I was thinking about how American life was portrayed then in entertainment, shows like leave it to beaver, and Andy Griffin show...was life ever really like that in this country? My mom is always telling me that things were better, that people cared more for each other and that they watched out for each other. There was a lot less selfishness then and many families went to church together...I just wonder if it was all an illusion or was there a time in this country when true faith, family, and caring for your neighbor was a common place thing?

Just curious about the history of that time in regards to faith and family life...
God Bless
mj

2011/11/23 11:22Profile
sermonindex

"Pilgrim and Sojourner." - 1 Peter 2:11

Online!
 Re: was it all an illusion?

It absolutely was different. Even for me 15 years ago seems much different. There was a fear of God not only in the Church but amongst the world in Canada where I live. But that has dwindled away and the world is in utter rebellion to God and God is giving over societies to a reprobate mind. Romans 1.

Abandoned by God by John MacArthur
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ix-on0u5g5Y

2011/11/23 11:39Profile

Re: But the reality was.......

In some ways there was a happy days mentality in the 40's and 50's. One can almost see a Normon Rockwell painting of the wholesome American family around a table laden with Thanksgiving bounty........Ah yes, the good ole days. We knew our neighbors. We could leave our doors unlocked. Children could play in the yards without fear. Our neighborhoods were Lilly white.....Uh oh. Spoil the picture?

Yes, I grew up down south in such what I just described above. But explain to a thirsty 5 year old child why he could not drink at a water fountain that said colored. Explain to a hungry black person who had money why they could not eat in an all white establishment. Explain to black veterens who faught for this nations freedom in WW II why they had to sit at the back of the bus. Explain to some black children who chose to get a descent education at an all white school why they were hated and despised. Explain why blacks were denied the right to vote in parts of the south in the 1950's.

This is the other side of the south I grew up in. Interesting thing about those Rockwell paintings. The folks were all white.

Blaine

2011/11/23 12:42

Re:

Two good replies from Blaine and Greg, I believe both to be true. In the 20 years that I have been in the States I have seen a dramatic decline in Christianity, to me it was accelerated by 9/11 and by so called revivals in the 90s. As a junior historian, I know that the Black experience is very different from the white experience in this country as well. I think, if we are wise, we shall not look back through rose colored glasses but see where we are now and where we are headed. The crisis of the age is that the glory of God has departed from His house, in my opinion. It will not return unless we thirst, as the deer pants for the waterbrooks, after Him and fear Him enough to seek Him with our whole hearts. This is not just an American experience, the whole of the Western world is in serious Christian decline, and in many countries they are now living the post Christian world experience. Praise the Lord that even now, He will be found by those who seek after Him with their whole hearts..........brother Frank

2011/11/23 15:00

Re: Appolus

So agree brother. So agree.

Blaine

2011/11/23 15:06
twayneb

Joplin, Missouri

Re: was it all an illusion?

I have to agree with the consensus. I do believe it was a different world when I was a boy in the late 70's and early 80's than it is now and the descriptions I hear from my parents and grandparents lead me to believe it was different even then. I live in the Ozarks and we still pride ourselves in being friendly and taking care of one another. Contrast the way people handled the tornado here in Joplin with the way they handled hurricane Katrina or the tornado earlier this year in the south. However I have noticed some very big changes, even here. I predict even greater changes in the near future. I believe as we approach the coming of Christ that we will see society loosing its moorings to a greater and greater degree.

2011/11/23 17:55Profile

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Affiliate Disclosure | Privacy Policy