SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : General Topics : The Faith of Elijah

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread

The Faith of Elijah

I've been reading about Elijah and am so encouraged by his faith and his heart for God. He was jealous for God, obedient to God's commands, simple in looks ("hairy", dressed similarly to John the Baptist), simple in faith (rain was withheld, fires came down from heaven and the Jordan River dried at his touch for a path to cross), humble in prayer, alone in the wilderness/on a hill, relied on God's provision (fed by the Lord, ravens and angels), alone most of his walk (until Elisha (who was made fun of at the start as "bald head") went to minister him), he could run faster than a chariot!, and how the Lord swooped him up to heaven to not taste of physical death. I pray the Lord give me faith such as this! Oh to be the apple of God's eye.

1 Kings 18-19:
And Elijah came unto all the people, and said, How long halt ye between two opinions? if the LORD [be] God, follow him: but if Baal, [then] follow him. And the people answered him not a word. Then said Elijah unto the people, I, [even] I only, remain a prophet of the LORD; ... And call ye on the name of your gods, and I will call on the name of the LORD: and the God that answereth by fire, let him be God. And all the people answered and said, It is well spoken.
And it came to pass at [the time of] the offering of the [evening] sacrifice, that Elijah the prophet came near, and said, LORD God of Abraham, Isaac, and of Israel, let it be known this day that thou [art] God in Israel, and [that] I [am] thy servant, and [that] I have done all these things at thy word. Hear me, O LORD, hear me, that this people may know that thou [art] the LORD God, and [that] thou hast turned their heart back again. Then the fire of the LORD fell, and consumed the burnt sacrifice, and the wood, and the stones, and the dust, and licked up the water that [was] in the trench.
and he cast himself down upon the earth, and put his face between his knees, And said to his servant, Go up now, look toward the sea. And he went up, and looked, and said, [There is] nothing. And he said, Go again seven times.
And it came to pass at the seventh time, that he said, Behold, there ariseth a little cloud out of the sea, like a man's hand. And he said, Go up, say unto Ahab, Prepare [thy chariot], and get thee down, that the rain stop thee not. And it came to pass in the mean while, that the heaven was black with clouds and wind, and there was a great rain. And Ahab rode, and went to Jezreel. And the hand of the LORD was on Elijah; and he girded up his loins, and ran before Ahab to the entrance of Jezreel.
and he requested for himself that he might die; and said, It is enough; now, O LORD, take away my life; for I [am] not better than my fathers.
And he said, I have been very jealous for the LORD God of hosts: for the children of Israel have forsaken thy covenant, thrown down thine altars, and slain thy prophets with the sword; and I, [even] I only, am left; and they seek my life, to take it away. And he said, Go forth, and stand upon the mount before the LORD. And, behold, the LORD passed by, and a great and strong wind rent the mountains, and brake in pieces the rocks before the LORD; [but] the LORD [was] not in the wind: and after the wind an earthquake; [but] the LORD [was] not in the earthquake: And after the earthquake a fire; [but] the LORD [was] not in the fire: and after the fire a still small voice. And it was [so], when Elijah heard [it], that he wrapped his face in his mantle, and went out, and stood in the entering in of the cave. And, behold, [there came] a voice unto him, and said, What doest thou here, Elijah? And he said, I have been very jealous for the LORD God of hosts: because the children of Israel have forsaken thy covenant, thrown down thine altars, and slain thy prophets with the sword; and I, [even] I only, am left; and they seek my life, to take it away. ... Yet I have left [me] seven thousand in Israel, all the knees which have not bowed unto Baal, and every mouth which hath not kissed him.
[He was] an hairy man, and girt with a girdle of leather about his loins. And he said, It [is] Elijah the Tishbite.

2011/11/20 16:38
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Re: The Faith of Elijah

QUOTE:
" because the children of Israel have forsaken thy covenant, thrown down thine altars, and slain thy prophets with the sword; and I, [even] I only, am left; and they seek my life, to take it away."

And I know there are many who can relate to thismindset..."

But check out God's answer:
QUOTE:
"Yet I have left [me] seven thousand in Israel, all the knees which have not bowed unto Baal, and every mouth which hath not kissed him."

This is the reality...but one sure wishes a few would live in our neighborhood - for mutual encouragement and fellowship. (I am not posting from my personal perspective - I just know these people are out there, I have talked with them.)

I love to study the life of Elijah - so many powerful lessons there that teach a person.

2011/11/22 13:34Profile

Re:

"This is the reality...but one sure wishes a few would live in our neighborhood - for mutual encouragement and fellowship. (I am not posting from my personal perspective - I just know these people are out there, I have talked with them.)"

oh how we've been praying for like-hearted fellowship for the last year. we sure miss being part of the Body since we moved last year. but God has His ways, and we're thankful for fellowship with Him. and hey, there's a house for sale across the street from us! :)

God bless

2011/11/23 20:51

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Affiliate Disclosure | Privacy Policy