SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Where are all the Godly threads?

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )
PosterThread
jimp

Re:

hi, if we were to discuss the infallibility of the pope all would jump up and say how unreasonable this statement and doctrine is but when we come on this forum some of us feel that we have the whole truth in some matters and are argumentative and rude.we are all somewhat ignorant in the things of the Lord. i have been studying for about 50 years and have seen many miracles but know less today than i knew 40 years ago.love and respect like ron and mike had is the answer to our problemsjimp

2011/11/20 1:31Profile
PaulWest

Dallas, Texas

Re:

Good word Jimp. 'If a man think he knoweth anything, he knoweth nothing as yet he ought to know' (I Cor. 8:2). The verse that precedes it is, 'Knowledge puffs up, but charity edifies'.

I've often thought about how dangerous it can be when God gives a man light on a certain area of scripture before he's mature enough to process it. You needn't be wise to have light. You can read a book by A.W. Pink or Calvin, as many do. You can read a sermon by John Wesley or Finney. The ultimate example, of course, being the Bible. A thread becomes godly when a man or woman is able to process the light they have in a way that becomes beneficial to all. Not all light reflected is beneficial. If I were to reflect pure UV light, for instance, I would be sending out death signals. UV rays are but a component of balanced, whole sunlight. You shift the balance of a beam of light, and you major on a component that will eventually cause death by prolonged exposure.

2011/11/20 9:14Profile
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Re:

Well said, JIG. I could never have said it better!

I do hope you will remain here...

God bless..

ginnyrose

2011/11/20 9:22Profile
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Re:

Leeza, Please do stay...The conflict that occurred here on SI is not something new.

Did you know that in the past there were subjects that would come up that ALWAYS created a lot of strife - like the Bible versions; Once-saved-always saved; Calvinism vs Armenism and the threads had to be locked - it happened many times. The one who lead the Bible Version brigade has since repented of it (see God still works - I will not ID him- don't want to embarrass him). The point is people DO change - sometimes! Just hang in here and do not take offense.

Spiritual growth is painful - sometimes.

Leeza, if you back off, do so for a time, but before you do, go to the Articles forum and read Paul West's articles on Mortification. There are over a 100 posts there, but the ones with a lot of meat are the ones Paul wrote - read those. There will be enough meat to last you a while. You will find yourself coming back for more AND wishing he would keep on talking!

God bless..

ginnyrose

2011/11/20 9:35Profile
mama27

Re:

Leeza,
I have no way to contact you, but JiG asked me to tell you that her decision to stop posting had "zero to do with you"....Mama

2011/11/20 10:21Profile
browny

Re:

Dear dear sister,

Please please, stay here and don't go.
You have been such a blessing to me and I know for others as well.
It is simply not true to say you have not the gift for this kind of communication!
We need each other here!

Shalom,
browny.

2011/11/20 10:29Profile

Re:

Brother Jimp writes.........

"hi, if we were to discuss the infallibility of the pope all would jump up and say how unreasonable this statement and doctrine is but when we come on this forum some of us feel that we have the whole truth in some matters"

Amen brother, for me, this is another step forward in the question that started this thread.

As someone who was raised in the Catholic church and came to Jesus at the age of 27, I always appreciate other brothers and sisters who have came to Jesus and come out of the Catholic church. The Catholic church never really had a hold of me at any time, but I was raised in an Irish Catholic community in Scotland and all of my education was Catholic. The reason I appreciate ex-Catholics who are now Christians is because to me they are modern day Bereans.

Every pre-concieved notion has to be re-considered. Every doctrine that was ever taught a Catholic has to be reconsidered in the light of Scripture. There are no sacred cows, its all on the table for any Catholic who experienced the trauma of leaving traditions that in some cases have been in place for not only centuries but millenia. One can only imagine the bravery of the Jewish believers who came to Jesus 2000 years ago whose tradition and interpretation of Scripture had been pretty much locked in place for thousands of years.

Now, what does any of that have to do with this forum and this thread? Well, us modern Christians also have traditions, interpretations, pre-conceived notions, and they are extremly powerful to the point of dis-unity. How can it be, in matters of non-essentials, that even ones salvation would be questioned? Does the sacred cow have that much power? Is ones interpretation of non-essentials more important that loving one another? Is it possible that our sacred cows are not that sacred? Is it possible that there is one more thing that we do not know? Can we be dogmatic in non-essential matters? An example for me would be pre-trib-rap. Now that is a huge and weighty matter. I do not believe in it. Yet I recognize the Scriptures that my brothers and sisters put forward in support of it, but I still dont believe in it.

That does not mean that they are less Godly or less holy or less righteous, it simply means that infallible me disagrees with infallible you. And if we can leave it at that and foucs on matters of eternity and work together and love each other despite the fact that I believe that we will all go through the tribulation then that is a good thing. Of course the Cal-Arm debate is another good example and Keith Daniels did a good job of exposing that.

So, what makes a thread " un-Godly?'in my opinion? One that is posted for reasons other than to Glorify God and to benifit the reader. Now, only the poster will know his own heart, whether its a post or a comment. There are obviously un-Godly comments and that would be if one attacks another, or tries to tear a person down, ignoring the subject at hand. Or, if one smells " blood in the water,' meaning seeing someone say something careless and then piling on with everyone else with comments designed to tear down and personally attack.

If we are dogmatic in matters that are non-essential to the faith, then pride reigns. The proud heart would say "well they are wrong, but if they get smart enough or holy enough or humble enough, they will arrive at my position sometime soon, or later or maybe never and maybe they are just not saved." The truly humble reply to matters of non-essentials is the Berean reply and when one has checked to make sure there are no sacred cows, no pre-conceived notions, no mere traditon and one still finds oneself with the same belief, recognize that since we are infallible and since it is non-essential then we shall put it to one side as far as the other brother or sister is concerned and follow hard after our concience and our interpration of that particular subject...........brother Frank

2011/11/20 13:53
Leeza

Re:

Dear all of you!
I came back today to reads of post, and was so moved by your kindness. I guess I was confused by the comments, and really dont understand what is the ongoing discussion, and thought that maybe I had said something harsh myself.
I am going to read the area on mortification that you recommended. Sounds like an area that might help me grow, because I am beginning to think this old onion's got alot more layers.
Thank you so much for your encouragement.

2011/11/20 13:56Profile
mama27

Re:

God bless you, Leeza. Thank you for responding....Pls keep us updated as to your husband's job situation (though on a different thread)....We are all a work in progress. I just hate to see contention and hurt feelings on this site - the enemy would love to keep us down and out....

2011/11/20 14:40Profile

Re:

Jimp said:
"If we were to discuss the infallibility of the Pope all would jump up and say how unreasonable this statement and doctrine is but when we come on this forum some of us feel that we have the whole truth in some matters"

I agree.

We have all done this on several occasions.

There are some things that I know about and we all should have some degree of knowing about something and be firm about telling it.

However it's how it's told and by what motive.

I personally can't stand a thread that is started by someone who knows all the answers and is teaching everyone in the "classroom". To them I say, get your own forum and teach to your hearts content. SI is for sharing and discussing, it's for learning and discovering that other believers do hear from God and do speak to them and not just to one person.

I don't know about you but I have written up so many posts and spend about an hour on something only to stop short to ask myself, "Who do you think you are?" and the X is such an easy target for deletion.

Being retaught on a subject that you once knew by heart is a terrible prospect and very very humbling.

2011/11/20 20:27

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy