SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Where are all the Godly threads?

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )
PosterThread

Where are all the Godly threads?

Brother Paul West writes ..........

"Where are all the godly threads, the threads that transmit life"

I confess brother Paul, as a long time member of this forum, that I have zero desire to post what I would consider to be " Godly threads." I do believe there is a reason for that, but the very mention of it would be fruitless I believe. Anyway Paul, thanks for the question, I think perhaps you may have some inklings of why the " Godly threads," may have dried up, perhaps I am wrong in this. God bless you all on this thread, my time here is coming to an end I believe, but there has been great fellowship along the way............brother Frank

2011/11/17 11:05
Sree

Re: Where are all the Godly threads?

Brother,
Today I was reading Philippians 1 and in verse 15-

Quote:

Some indeed preach Christ even from envy and strife, and some also from goodwill: The former[b] preach Christ from selfish ambition, not sincerely, supposing to add affliction to my chains;

God showed me clearly that I was one of these guys when I posted something for my selfish ambition of Glorifying myself or my theology. Though what I posted were from Christ, the motive was not fully to glorify God. I repented falling on my face.

With my little knowledge I would say a Godly thread should have these things,
1. Motive to Glorify God
2. Motive to encourage others to follow Christ.
3. To share out of one’s experience with the word. For example there is one thread by a brother Mathew where he is sharing what helped him to maintain a healthy married relationship.
4. Not to provoke anyone. A person who has spent at least a month in this forum will definitely know what all discussions that provoke others. There are so many truths about Jesus for us to learn and share with others instead of touching the same subjects that others have conflicting opinion on like how a person is saved etc. Irrespective of how a person believes he/she is saved, we all agree the importance of Christlikeness. So let us focus on that.

2011/11/17 12:07Profile

https://www.sermonindex.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=40117&forum=34

2011/11/17 12:47
roadsign

Re:

Quote:
the motive was not fully to glorify God

In all honesty, I believe that my aim in every thread here has been to do the right thing - ie be “godly”. But, more times than I can ever tell you, it was not until after I saw my words posted that I began to see the defilement in them. It was that humiliating exposure before the entire world that produced conviction more than leaving any of my unconscious or private thoughts safely concealed.

For me, trying to suppress my ungodliness just doesn’t seem to make me godly. It simply exposes my ungodliness.

Quote:
Where are all the godly threads,

Of course the Pharisees were very eager to have godliness. So were countless Christians down the centuries – and justifiably so. But many have believed that the means to godliness is the extirpation of the “ungodly” – the evil. And so the elimination of perceived evil became more important than the development of the gifts of grace. Church history tells the sad results.

Perhaps we need a forum for the “sick sinner” more than a forum for the righteous. ... That’s where I would feel at home best.

Diane

2011/11/17 13:00Profile
savedtoserve

Re:

Quote:
1. Motive to Glorify God
2. Motive to encourage others to follow Christ.
3. To share out of one’s experience with the word. For example there is one thread by a brother Mathew where he is sharing what helped him to maintain a healthy married relationship.
4. Not to provoke anyone. A person who has spent at least a month in this forum will definitely know what all discussions that provoke others. There are so many truths about Jesus for us to learn and share with others instead of touching the same subjects that others have conflicting opinion on like how a person is saved etc. Irrespective of how a person believes he/she is saved, we all agree the importance of Christlikeness. So let us focus on that.

I appreciate the points you've made...up to the last one. Even Paul didn't measure up to your fourth rule when speaking to fellow Christians. We are supposed to provoke one another unto good works, aren't we?? Just my two cents, I think too many people on here are trying to make this forum into some sort of "church" that's "very accepting." (A Joel Osteen quote; sorry!) I understand that there's not a need to rehash what's already been hashed, especially when it's going nowhere; but this shouldn't mean you'd better hush-hush about anything on which there are opposite viewpoints, right? It seems we have as many "love-police" as we do "truth-watchers," but of course there needs to be a balance of "speaking the truth in love." All that said, I respect whatever rules the moderators lay down and don't intend to disregard them.

savedtoserve

2011/11/17 13:56Profile
Lysa

East TN for now!

Quote:
PaulWest wrote (in another thread):
Where are all the godly threads, the threads that transmit life, the threads that instruct in righteousness and lead a believer to overcome secret sin? Where are the threads that bespeak of love - true, divine love, the pure fruit of God - and foster a deeper awareness of absolute transformity to Jesus Christ in the soul of a believer?

Here is one scenario: God threads are all over the place but they usually have no replies so they quickly bite the dust and enter the 'zone of archives' never to be seen again (I don't venture there very often, I usually just check the top 10 threads posted).

I wish that Greg would make "Recent Discussions in the Forums" hold 20 threads instead of 10. Just a personal request!!!

Imho, that is what happens to Godly threads, no one godly responds to them! :/ (just saying)

God bless,
Lisa

2011/11/17 14:17Profile
Sree

Re:

Quote:

I appreciate the points you've made...up to the last one. Even Paul didn't measure up to your fourth rule when speaking to fellow Christians.

I did not put any rule, neither am I eligible to do it. I just put some points that can be used to check whether a thread is Godly or not.
Even Jesus himself did not measure to that 4th point :). He had a ministry to annoy Pharisees. He healed people on Sabbath to irritate them, and he purposely went to dine with them without ceremonial washing of hands and feet. I would better Please God like Jesus first before trying his provoking ministry.
Another reason I thought we can avoid provoking issues is, anytime we have 10 times more guests online in SI than the members. I dint want these Guests to turn away seeing our arguments.

2011/11/17 15:20Profile
Creation7

Re: savedtoserve

I agree with you 100%, savedtoserve! I think it would be great if members on here could do the following things if they come across a disagreement.

1. State why you disagree (or agree) lovingly, logically and CALMLY.
CALMLY and lovingly are the key words here.

2. If you feel that your contribution is getting the discussion nowhere fast, leave the thread.
Leave-- like, stop commenting. If you don't, you'll just get yourself more worked up, effectively squelching the key concepts in #1. :)

3. After having left the thread, don't automatically try to get it shut down (barring, of course, an unGodly thread). If all these guidelines are followed, the thread will leave on it's own, because assuming that people are following guideline #2, they will LEAVE when they see their contribution is getting the dicussion nowhere. Remember, it takes (at least) two commenters to fight.

Just some thoughts...

Creation7

2011/11/17 16:43Profile

Re:

Actually, I would like to know where are all the good bible studies are?

Something that causes us to dig into the word, not one person who has all the answers but the whole group of us wanting to learn about what the scriptures are saying and if it doesn't point to Christ lock it up. If you know the answers before you start the bible study, what good is the study? It's just an agenda and this site prohibits those type of things.

A bible study is not studying about where Cain got his wife or what colour Samsons hair was before Delilah cut it.

Godly threads? I really don't know what that is per say.

I'll tell you the reason why we bicker and fight, we don't love one another. I don't know you and you don't know me. We have never come to the understanding that just because we don't see one another or know one another and we are hiding behind a monitor in cyberspace, we haven't grasped the fact that we are all in Christ Jesus.

Do I have to see you or know you to be loved by you? Where is faith?

Ask yourself, would you go up to a christian that you don't know on the street and just pounce on him and verbally assault him with the word because he doesn't know what you know? I can assure you you will never win him over. He will look at you as a genuine nut and you'll look at that as persecution.

I have spoken to many peoples, even Atheists and I never tore at them. I have sat with them and they would go into their doctrine and after they had settled down I'd insert a couple of words that would always stump them. They'd get angry, but I would sit there quietly and let them ramble.

We listen to Christians rattle on about their beliefs and we just listen to them rave, but even though we differ somewhat, I have always found to be true with most of them is that they have a faith in Christ and it's based upon faith through grace. And that is fine with me, they are my brothers, all the idiosyncrasies and hangups will be dealt with by God through His body and ministry. And if He chooses for me to correct them, great, but you know of all the years of being a believer, most of the time He always encouraged me to love them and pray for them and speak kindly to them.

When we get angry and get offended when someone steps on our toes concerning what we believe. That is a sure sign that there is something wrong with our doctrine. If we get nasty and our words turn to profanity or you wish you could say all that you'd like to say in a post but your restricted because of the rules, that too is a sure sign that something is wrong with what we believe.

Jesus would speak the word and the Pharisees got angry.

You see the Tradition of the Elders was wrought through the working of Satan. It was to attach itself to the Torah as an alternative to what the Law demanded, thus making the word of God of non affect. The Pharisees upheld these traditions more than the law of God. So when Jesus spoke against their "precious", they'd got angry and rightly so, they were of their father the devil.

Ergo if we hear truth and it makes us angry, we can take it to the bank that what we consider to be the truth may well be a tradition that is not birthed by God but Satan himself. Satan doesn't come to us with a bold face lie, he uses the word and just gives it a little twist to make it believable if he can get us to believe that little lie the next time it won't be that hard for him. He picks the moment, he chooses to pounce at a time when we are weak, or fear is there, any place that there is a weakness in the flesh.

2011/11/17 18:23

that is true.

Lisa, you testified:

Quote:
Imho, that is what happens to Godly threads, no one godly responds to them! :/ (just saying)

tragically thats true, Lisa, btw, its me neil. HezWelling is short for a pen name of mine Hezekiah Wellington III, much love, neil

2011/11/17 18:28

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy