SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Miracles that follow the plow : Prayer request

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
bnc2673

Prayer request

I started college this past August. It's a community secular college. I get along great with all my professors and most of the students.

My problem that I'm really having trouble wrapping my head around is I am supposed to write a research paper about a quiz show scandal that happened back in the fifties. I decided to take the "right vs. wrong" approach to the topic as it is becoming more of a popular subject today and a highly debatable subject. I asked my professor if I can use the Bible as one of my sources. Now keep in mind that Prof. De Young and I get along really well and he has always been there for me to help me when I needed it and always encourages me to say whats on my mind. He said sure that using the Bible as a source was fine but then asked what translation. When I told him the KJV version his response both shocked me and made me a little upset. He said "Ah, the one with all the flowery language. Fine." Now I feel like since he obviously doesn't agree with my choice, despite him letting me go ahead with it, that I no longer have anyone to back me up and encourage me. I feel like he's being hypocritical by one minute telling me to now hold things in and not care what people think to criticizing me for this.

I see him again in class on thursday and I'm so afraid that I'll no longer have his support. Any suggestions?

2011/11/15 19:44Profile
romanchog

Re: Prayer request

Young man/lady:
This may well be the first of many such occurrences in your college life, as well as any other area of your life. In college, professors will support almost anything you say or believe. However, most will not support your stand on Christ and the gospel.

Nonetheless, you should know that Christ is always going to support you if you prayerfully take a stand for Him. His is the only support you need.

Do not look to men or women for your support. You end up being a pleaser of men, rather than a please of God. Heed the warning of the apostle Paul in Galatians 1:10:

"Am I now trying to win the approval of men, or of God? Or am I trying to please men? If I were still trying to please men, I would not be a servant of Christ."

You simply CANNOT please men and serve Christ. They go against each other.

This professor of yours who spoke in such a condescending way to you about your choice of scripture knows the power that his words can have on your life. It is his intent, conscious or not, to communicate to you how he feels about Christ and to try to influence you in YOUR service of the Lord.

Are you going to allow this man to affect your walk with Christ? It is my prayer that you will stand firm and know where your support truly lies.

Strengthen your walk with Christ. Pray earnestly, pray without ceasing; learn His word, through which He speaks to you and teaches you; die to yourself, pick up your cross and follow Him.

I will continue to pray for you.

2011/11/15 20:26Profile
bnc2673

Re:

Sorry, I'm a girl.

I won't let it effect my christian walk but when I read that I immediately felt Satan starting to try and start something. I'm not sure the professor knew how it came across or not. He is usually a really nice guy. But it just kind of shocked me that he said that. He always told me to ignore what everyone else said and focus on myself. I'm a insecure person when it comes to that stuff and to my academic writing and he knows that and has been trying to get me to loosen up so when I read that it felt like a punch. But not to worry, I will not let it effect me spiritually. I've already prayed and asked God for help in dealing with this.

2011/11/15 20:32Profile
romanchog

Re:

bnc2673:
God bless you as you continue to seek His guidance in your life.

All of us are insecure in so many areas. Don't think that you are the only one. Even those that seem sure of themselves have an insecurity in something; you simply cannot see it because you cannot see into their heart.

As you walk with Him in your studies, He will help you be less insecure. I hope your professor did not mean it in a bad way. Even if he did, keep trying to learn and He will provide you with the knowledge you need.

2011/11/15 23:15Profile
roadsign

Re:

Sister - it looks like you are in God's training school - learning how do you remain faithful to God in a secular environment.

I share a few thoughts here, based on my own encounters in the academic world.

1. Resist reading into the professor's words any antagonism towards you. It is easy to do! I know! More likely it is personal anxiety that causes that assumption. Always see and treat him (her) favorably, even if he falls short in your estimation. Consider him God's means of working in your life - to refine you. Desire to bless your professor.

2. Don't tie your position in with your identity. Then you set yourself up to be wounded.

3. In supporting an argument in a paper, it's helpful to cite from sources that have credibility to the reader. For example, just because Billy Graham (or even scripture) says it, doesn't mean it is credible to everybody. And - of course, you don't want to act as your own authority. Still your comments on any range of citations, including the Bible shows your ability to think.

4. Your skill in selecting citations will be reflected in your grade. For scripture, you may wish to check other translations, and find the wording that is clearest. Or you may wish to consider how Christian scholars have dealt with the passage.

5. I know that you trust God to be with you. Even when you experience defeat, he is there to use those times to build your thinking skills and your Christian character.

blessings,
Diane

2011/11/16 9:54Profile
bnc2673

Re:

Thanks Diane, that meant a lot. My professor actually gave us the sources of the topic that he wants us to cite. He told us if we wanted to cite other sources then it needed to go through him first. I guess I should be thankful that he is letting me use the Bible as one of my citations.

For another paper of mine in a different class I knew I could get away with it because of the type of course it is and the fact that the text book makes many references to scripture which both surprised and excited me.

I'm hoping that Professor De Young will not treat me differently because of this as far as fairness goes. As long as he keeps my grades out of it then I don't care how I'm treated.

I usually am cautious about what I do at school as far as talking openly to people. I did get into it with a friend of mine but only after she started the conversation.

Brooke

2011/11/16 15:15Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy