Discussion Forum : News and Current Events : Tsunami kills nearly 155,000

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Tsunami kills nearly 155,000

[img]https://www.sermonindex.net/images/forum/2004/may/featured_news.gif[/img]

(CNN) -- Relief officials are working to assess the death tolls from last Sunday's tsunami that killed thousands of people in at least 11 countries.

CNN has confirmed that the undersea earthquake off Sumatra and the giant waves it triggered killed 154,889 people, and that number is expected to rise.

Deaths by country:

Indonesia: More than 94,000, according to health ministry.

Sri Lanka: More than 46,000, with more than 14,000 missing. The number dropped slightly Monday because the government increased the number of dead they estimated from rebel-held areas -- CNN's total subtracts the estimate and adds in the Tamil Tiger-UN numbers for a total.

Sri Lankan officials in Colombo increased the death toll in non-rebel-held areas of the island nation to 27,196. In addition, the officials reported 15,683 were injured, 899,408 are without homes, and 3,792 are still missing.

Tamil Tiger rebels in conjunction with the United Nations Development Program say 18,807 died in territory they hold, another 10,000 people are missing and 600,000 displaced.

India: The Indian government lowered its death toll to 9,479 dead but raised its missing total to 5,796 people missing -- 5,681 of them on the Andaman and Nicobar Islands.

Thailand: 4,993 dead, with 3,810 missing.

Malaysia: 66

Maldives: 82, with 28 missing.

Myanmar: 59, according to government report.

Tanzania: 10

Bangladesh: 2

Somalia: 114, according to U.N. reports.

Kenya: Kenyan media reports one death.

Seychelles: Unconfirmed reports of deaths.

2005/1/3 23:24Profile
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Re: Tsunami kills nearly 155,000

Quote:
Relief officials are working to assess the death tolls from last Sunday's tsunami that killed thousands of people in at least 11 countries.

If people are looking for a prayer focus on this tragedy.. I suggest praying through the list of countries directly involved in this tragedy.. that God would comfort the widows and the fatherless .. and show the peoples of this country the love of Himself through His Son Jesus Christ.

2005/1/3 23:26Profile
Mekdi

Addis Ababa, Ethiopia

Re: Tsunami Kills nearly 155,000

God bless you brother Greg

....that God would comfort the widows and the
fatherless .. and show the peoples of this
country the love of Himself through His Son
Jesus Christ.

Indeed lets pray! Eventhough what happened is a heart-rending thing that even it is difficult to watch it over the media, sometimes when there is no choice lesser of two evils become an option. What I mean is if 155,000.00 die and the remaining millions are saved because of the awakening that follows due to the 155,000 that die, it means that the evil is turned for good. We cannot go back and change what happened but we can change "everything for good" through our prayers.

Lets pray to God for mercy to those regions that God will send revivals that sweep those regions more than the power of the Tsunami! Please lets pray that we hear good tidings from those regions of the power and the workings of the Holy Spirt! They need us! This people don't even know their left and their right, they don't even know whom to call! Those of us who know whom we call and to whom to turn to at this dismal times, lets call to him on their behalf! Please brethren lets pray for them. Amen

Your Sister in Christ

Mekdes

Quote:

sermonindex wrote:
Quote:
Relief officials are working to assess the death tolls from last Sunday's tsunami that killed thousands of people in at least 11 countries.

If people are looking for a prayer focus on this tragedy.. I suggest praying through the list of countries directly involved in this tragedy.. that God would comfort the widows and the fatherless .. and show the peoples of this country the love of Himself through His Son Jesus Christ.

2005/1/4 2:56Profile
godly

Re:

hello
how ru ?
me from india .

2005/1/4 5:36Profile
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Re:

Quote:
hello
how ru ?
me from india

Hi Welcome! where are you from in India? I pray not from an area heavily affected by the diaster.. our prayers go out to your country ..

2005/1/4 9:20Profile
mloaks

So. MD, USA

Re:

My hope is that the USA can put aside the need to improve relations and perceptions, and just simply work from our hearts.
And with our military presence arriving, be safe from terrorist attacks while we are helping.
This is so big, the critism we are getting, and got quickly after the quake, is meaningless.

2005/1/4 10:51Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy