Image Map
Discussion Forum : Welcome & Intro : Romans 7

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 )
PosterThread
flameoffire

Michigan

Re:

I'm not one to pick sides here. I think we need both. Desperately.

However, I would note that John and Jesus were speaking to a body of believers. John was writing to a church, not an individual. Jesus was talking to his disciples, not just one. We need to learn and be taught by God individually. We need to learn and be taught by God as a body. This includes individual study, corporate study and learning from others in authority. The Holy Spirit speaks to me directly. The Holy Spirit speaks to me through others. Both are common. I value both very dearly.

When the Holy Spirit teaches me as an individual, I hold it very close. It is often a more intimate occurrence. I crave it. I must be careful to evaluate and test all revelation. The body helps me do that.

When the Holy Spirit teaches me through someone else or through a group of believers or through a shared experience, I value it as well, and the person or people used in the revelation are blessed. I crave for God to use me that way too. I must evaluate and test all revelation through others. The Holy Spirit helps me do that.

All these things should work together. One might have prevalence over another at different points in our lives, but God uses both and we should value both.

Proverbs 11:14 Where there is no counsel, the people fall; But in the multitude of counselors there is safety.

Eph 4:11-14

Heb 5:12

2 Timothy 2:2

Col 3:16

1 Thess 5:21 test everything; hold fast what is good.

1 Cor 14:29

Though the latter two refer to prophecy, the principle shows that now that all who believe have the Holy Spirit we are to aid each other and arrive at the Word of the LORD together. This often is marred by human weakness, but it's still God's desire that we share in revelation.

I tend to be individualistic and am often arguing the opposite side, but I have been significantly blessed by seeking the knowledge, wisdom and godly counsel from others, including this website.

I'm glad Nee's writing blessed you brothagary. I was a little embarrassed by posting the whole thing, I wanted to be considerate of others, so I'm glad it wasn't just cluttering up the forum.

2011/11/15 15:40Profile
flameoffire

Michigan

Re:

I will say that I agree that starting with the text and listening to the Holy Spirit is the best place to start, but I try to assume that someone coming here asking for input has already done that or is in the process of doing that. Encouragement to do so should always be appreciated.

2011/11/15 15:43Profile

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy