SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Autographing Bibles

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
PosterThread
ccchhhrrriiisss

Re:

Hi ginnyrose,

You're not alone. I had never heard of this practice before. I even wondered whose autograph someone was getting.

When I read the title of the thread, I pictured the little children coming to Jesus with scrolls of Isaiah asking for his autograph...or people running to Paul with a copy of I Corinthians doing the same.

Of course, I know that this isn't what people are doing. Still, I just don't see why on Earth anyone would want someone's signature written in their hard copy of the Bible. After all, it is GOD'S Word.

But, like you, I haven't heard of this practice before.

2011/11/12 12:53Profile
savedtoserve

Re:

Actually, ginnyrose, it kinda goes back, so it's not becasue "you're old." :D It's just because that sort of thing doesn't run in your circles...I know, because I've been in them...and also in the IFB circles. :)

Quote:
I just don't see why on Earth anyone would want someone's signature written in their hard copy of the Bible. After all, it is GOD'S Word.

There are two ways to look at it, barring the (obviously wrong) cases of idolization and etc... This is talking about IFB's but that's not the point...

Quote:
“Preacher, please sign my bible.”

Autograph hounds show up just about everywhere, and fundamentalists events are no different. At any special services where a well-known...pastor, evangelist, or missionary is present there will inevitably be a line of folks who gather to get his signature on their Bible.

Why fundamentalists feel the need to collect these signatures remains somewhat of a mystery. Perhaps an annual contest would be in order with prize categories like
•most signatures ...
•most important signature ...
•strangest Bible reference given with signature ...

Get up to the front of the auditorium and get lined up for that autograph! The music for the second service is just about to start…

vs...

Quote:
Ugh. Such mischaracterization. Where do I start. IFBs are the least man-worshippy group out there!! Having the preacher sign your Bible is just a way of remembering the occasion, and maybe the message. The man of God is a good person to respect... RESPECT...look it up on dictionary.com

You can easily make it into more than it is...

savedtoserve

2011/11/12 14:43Profile

Re:

The more important question should be are we reading the Bibke?

Blaine

2011/11/12 15:17
Handmaid4God

Re: Autographing Bibles

I have only had a few people write in the front of my Bible (and yes, I read it first thing every morning for an hour or more for over 7 years) and they have only been brothers that have had a strong infuence on my life for Christ. The brothers that baptized me wrote a blessing and encouragement for me (with out me asking, and with humility). I have only asked one brother to write in my Bible, and it was a very humble man of God. There was no line of people waiting for him to autograph theirs either.
So I think it can be done with caution, and careful selection of who you ask to. What those brothers have written in mine are an encouragement to me every time I read it to keep pressing on the upward way - nothing else.

2011/11/12 15:43Profile
Creation7

Re:

Great post, Handmaid4God. That is an instance where I'm sure it can be "done decently and in order", without pride or idolatry-- and be used of God. Done the other way, as Krispy said, it just becomes a proud, idolatrous mess.

2011/11/12 16:24Profile
Creation7

Re:

Quote:
Weird...Oh, I forgot, I am old...sigh

Lol, Ginny, you're so funny!

2011/11/12 16:28Profile

Re:

Everyone has some taboo concerning the bible.

There are people that get offended if you put another book or newspaper on top of the bible.

Some are offended if it's sitting in the bathroom.

Still others are taken aback when they see scribblings.

It's totally up to each individual and how they view it.

God doesn't care either way as He is free from such superstitions.

2011/11/12 16:41
Lysa

This world is not my home anymore.

Re: Autographing Bibles

The girls at jail ask all the women that come in there to write something with a verse in their bibles. They never know if they are going to see us again, but I never thought of it as "autographing" their bibles though!!

Just my two cents!! God bless,
Lisa

2011/11/12 16:56Profile

Re:

Lysa, that kind of thing is different.

Krispy

2011/11/12 16:59
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Re:

Now you really have me confused!!

What on earth is IFB?

I googled it and I came up with: "Insurance Fraud Bureau", "Interrupted Feedback", "Internet For Business","Illinois Farm Bureau"....doesn't make sense...:-0

Oh! well...

2011/11/12 18:30Profile

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy