SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Looking for free sermon messages?
Sermon Podcast | Audio | Video

Discussion Forum : Articles and Sermons : Whose side is God on?

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
Creation7

Whose side is God on?

Gott Mit Uns (God With Us)

Whose side is God on?

Gertraud “Traudl” Junge was the secretary for Adolf Hitler during WWII. After the war, Traudl carried a lot of remorse about her involvement with the Nazi Party. Shortly before her death in 2002, she recorded her experiences and regrets on a video interview entitled Blindspot. Throughout the interview, Traudl recounts her time with the Nazi party, and especially her time with Adolf Hitler. As she recounts this sad time, most of her memories come across more like confession than anything else.

There was one thing in the interview that caught my attention that I think has relevance with the Dietrich Bonhoeffer story. In the interview, Traudl mentions the emotional effect on Hitler after the assassination attempt on his life by a bomb placed in a briefcase at a meeting with his staff. Bonhoeffer was involved with the assassination attempt, and it was this involvement that led him to give up his earlier nonresistant stand.

Interestingly, Traudl recounts that after the assassination bombing failed, Hitler was more convinced than ever that God was protecting him and his mission. She says that Hitler personally took Mussolini to the site of the bombing and boasted of his deliverance with a “triumphant” smile. Traudl laments that after the assassination attempt, all hopes for peace were lost. Hitler was more than ever convinced with his motto “Gott Mit Uns” (God with us), and that it was his job to rid the world of evil.

“What if you could kill Hitler?” In only a few decades after WWII, the question has become almost proverbial in nonresistance debates. Here we see a perfect example that when human means are used to accomplish a spiritual end, the result is often devastating. Instead of ridding the world of Hitler, the assassination attempt only emboldened him.

~Dean Taylor

“There is a way that seemeth right unto a man, but the end thereof are the ways of death.” (Pr. 16:25)

2011/11/9 21:57Profile
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Re: Whose side is God on?

Lots of food for thought here. This will be challenging me for days to come.

Still, the concept that one must railroad your way through to get what you want, running over people has never been proven to work well.

Pray. Wait. Wait on the LORD to act and when He does it will be done perfectly.

Once again, this testimony lends credibility to this rule of waiting on the LORD to avenge us of our enemies.

Thanks for posting this article.

2011/11/9 22:04Profile
JB1968

Ohio USA

Re:

I am more concerned with the idea of making sure I am on His side.

2011/11/9 22:11Profile
Matthew2323

Colorado

Re: Whose side is God on?

"Here we see a perfect example that when human means are used to accomplish a spiritual end, the result is often devastating. Instead of ridding the world of Hitler, the assassination attempt only emboldened him."

One could also understand Hitler's interpretation of this event as an unspiritual man misinterpreting the facts as any demonically influenced/possessed narcissist would.

If young David's stone had missed Goliath, would that have meant God was working with the Philistines? How would you know? Do circumstances and man's interpretation of them always dictate truth? Let alone the musings of a lunatic!

Consider this from John Eldredge:

Samson becomes a great and terrible warrior when, and only when, the Spirit of God comes upon him. The rest of the time he's just short of an idiot. What does this story tell us about the God who the Spirit is? And it's not just Samson, my friends. "So the Spirit of the LORD came upon Gideon," and Gideon went to war (Judg. 6:34 NASB). "Now the Spirit of the LORD came upon Jephthah," and he went to war (Judg. 11:29 NASB). "And the Spirit of the LORD came mightily upon David," and one of the first things he did was kill Goliath (1 Sam. 16:13 NASB). I repeat my question: What does that tell us about the God who the Spirit is?

The LORD is a warrior; The LORD is His name. (Exodus 15:3)

2011/11/10 7:29Profile

©2002-2019 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy