SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : Revivals And Church History : The fourth commandment: the Sabbath

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 Next Page )
PosterThread
a-servant

Re:

"love the prophets more than the apostles" hahaha it may appear to you so my child of grace, but it's certainly not the case in actual reality. But you can use the future to correct the present, should it be required to do so.

Tell me one thing. Who is the Lord speaking through Isaiah that says "thus saith the LORD". Can you identify His name? Can you hear his voice? Who is it that says that people will come to worship before him in a time in the future, that is certainly not OT time, just because it was spoken and received what we call OT time.

Then once you know who it is that is speaking, why does he not identify himself as the sabbath, but identifies the sabbath as a time identification of a day or days? That one is easy....because it always was a day, and always will be a day, and not a person. Can you believe that person when he speaks, that is the real question.

P.S. Just before He comes back there will be great tribulation as we know. This actually will happen very soon, and this is the situation then when Jesus says : " But pray ye that your flight be not in the winter, neither on the sabbath day: For then shall be great tribulation, such as was not since the beginning of the world to this time, no, nor ever shall be. Matthew 24:20

---

One could think in such a terrible tribulation the world has never seen before the last thing one would care about is non essentials as keeping the sabbath day. Yes that sounds right, but Jesus says the exact opposite to common logic, that's why He is the Lord, and we are not. We cannot even differentiate between a day and our Lord, what would classify us as illiterate, or worse, having a different spirit that convinced us that it is more spiritual to disobey the Lord than to just do what he says. You remember the 'garden incident' that had this huge 6000 years of consequences. It will happen again a final time, it's a test where someone else will ask us to take his sign, or mark. It will be the anti-christ, whispering with a convincing voice imitating our Lord. Will you then be able to identify His voice? Pray for that my dear.

2011/11/13 4:30Profile
CHILDofGRACE

Anyigba, Kogi State, Nigeria

Re:

I would rest my case on two scriptures: Acts 15:28, 29, 31 and Colossians 2:16. Do sincerely send that consolation to others if you can. Love you.

2011/11/20 18:02Profile
RogerB

Bruceton TN

Re:

This topic is posted here a lot. Everyone seems to have a point to prove. I worship God everyday so that rules out only worshiping on a sabbath. Then that makes the sabbath day a day to lay around and rest? Isn't that what you are saying?

One must be careful when they live under the New Covenant not to desire to go back to the Old Covenant. In EX 34:28 we see the 10 commandments are called the old covenant. The Sabbath was given to all the Israelites standing there. They were a nation. Laws were being arranged for them to live under and be blessed.

When you take the bread and wine you are saying you are under the new covenant. And you are saying you are with Christ all the way. From that point on our mind should be focused on things above, after all we DIED with him in baptism.

What most people forget is that the we are aliens in this world we live in. The old world government we used to be involved in is not ours anymore. We are not to entangle ourselves with the government of earth as we are now citizens of heaven. As Pau said, "all things were lawful for him, but not expedient.."

God knows we are all sinners. He has made reconciliation possible for all to come to Christ; not for all to come to the Levitical system. There is no eternal hope in keeping the old package of laws. We need Christ.

In 1 Timothy 1:9 we read where the law is not made for a righteous man. Hasn't Jesus made us righteous?

In Hebrew 8:9 we read where a new covenant was promised and it was NOT like the old one made to their fathers.

Christ has torn down the wall. The Jew, Greek, the gentile. None can say "because I keep... I am better"

In Matthew 25:31 when Jesus divides the sheep and goats, He's not going to say, "You Baptists go on in" or any other group. He'a looking at how we love one another in the body.
I Cor 13 comes to mind. Though I have all knowledge or am have a theology degree or whatever; IF I do not have love...

Trying to bring OT into NT is in error. I used to be a sabbath keeper.

2011/11/20 20:31Profile
RogerB

Bruceton TN

Re:

I had to add an extra thought. In Matthew 5:16 we see Jesus saying to let your good works be seen. I'm sure he would like to add a little more today, "...and not your good arguments ... or your new version of his written word"

In Ephesians 2: 8-9 we are saved by grace... man is not justified by the law..

No amount of commandment keeping will add anything to what Christ has done. No amount of commandment keeping will save you. The 10 commandments had to do with earthly living. That's what the name it and claim preachers teach. It's a get rich type gospel. Be sure to send it to them!

Christ brought a heavenly message.
It had nothing to do with lands and money. The gospel of the kingdom was a heavenly calling, one of entering the Kingdom of God.

The Pharisees had good arguments. Their doctrine was perfect. Their purity wasn't. They always were trying to lay a trap for Jesus. It's easy to become a Pharisee and not even see it. Satan is the master of deception.

We shouldn't be trying to trap each other on the forum. There is an accuser who calls out our name every day to our Father, saying "Hey did you see him do this.." None of us should have any darkness living in us. God is light.

Imagine the scene, Here it is: Jesus is about to be crucified and all these people with their good arguments are in the temple right before, singing, clapping, tithing and whatever, and no one stood with Christ. One can be deceived. They were. I was once too...

2011/11/20 21:03Profile

Re: The fourth commandment: the Sabbath

Dear members of Sermon Index, when a member raises a topic that doesn't conform to your beliefs, let's not conclude that those members are on some secret mission to deceive or Judaizers, Pharisees or whatever derogatory names we can come up with, instead, we can search the scriptures on the matter without any preconceived notions and respond with kindness.

After all, Rev 12:9 plainly says that we are all deceived at this time. We can all be wrong. Just a thought.

2011/11/20 22:36

Re: The fourth commandment: the Sabbath

Please correct me if I'm wrong but I always thought that all Christians believed in the 10 Commandments as supreme instructions.

Why are we questioning the validity of fourth commandment? Did I miss something?

2011/11/20 23:07
InTheLight

Phoenix, Arizona USA

Re:

Quote:
Dear members of Sermon Index, when a member raises a topic that doesn't conform to your beliefs, let's not conclude that those members are on some secret mission to deceive or Judaizers, Pharisees or whatever derogatory names we can come up with, instead, we can search the scriptures on the matter without any preconceived notions and respond with kindness.

This is the same faulty argument presented mostly by Seventh Day Adventists that we have seen here on SI several times in the past. It seeks to confuse the truth and disarm the skeptic by preying on a tender conscience. It seeks to gain acceptance of wrong views by promoting the desire in the hearer to avoid conflict. While it is true that the Christian should avoid strife and division it is equally true that they should not submit, even for a moment, to anything contrary to the truth of the gospel.

Quote:
After all, Rev 12:9 plainly says that we are all deceived at this time. We can all be wrong. Just a thought.

Yes, a thought, but not a very good one; if we apply the logic which you have applied from Rev 12:9 to your own arguments in this thread then we can safely consider your arguments invalid. You need to find a better argument.

In Christ,

Ron

2011/11/21 0:01Profile

Re: InTheLight

InTheLight -- with all due respect, you're wrong.

Just because I agree with the forth commandment doesn't make me a Seventh Day Adventists.

Quote:
It seeks to confuse the truth and disarm the skeptic by preying on a tender conscience.

You gotta be kidding me! What are you in pre K? This is a sorry, tired excuse to disregard the question at hand.

Do you believe the 10 Commandments or not? Never mind, don't answer it!

2011/11/21 0:32
jimp

Re:

hi, this subject is surely not one to argue about... the jews have celebrated the sabbath from friday sundown to saturday sundown for milleneums and yet disobey the sabbath year laws and year of jubilee laws. arguements could be made that the 7th day of creation was the first day for man and that man should rest on the first day. as one who attended a messianic fellowship for years i enjoyed the candle lighting cantors and prayers at friday night service and very few of the sabbath protagonist practice this wonderful tradition.for the jew keeping the sabbath means not driving your car or even sweating doing anything on this day,that is why they lived in ghettos around the shoul so it would be an easy walk.if you are convinced by God to keep a day do so but let others have a chance to be told of God this revelation on their own.jimp a sideline to this is in knowing a priest who heard thousands of confessions over many years say he has never heard a person confess that they ever coveted anything. that is why the law is summed up in loving God and loving your neighbor.

2011/11/21 1:01Profile
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Re:

This topic grieves me. Ever since I have been on SI it comes up periodically and a heated discussion follows.

One camp will say Sabbath keeping is essential for salvation and the other says New Covenant Christians are free to ignore Sabbath keeping, or the fourth commandment, and will criticize any who do observe it. From my perspective both are wrong.

Sabbath keeping has its origins at the creation when God sanctified the seventh day after working six days. God sanctified (Gen. 2:3) only ONE day, not six. This act predates the giving of the ten commandments by 3000(?) years. This does not mean the ten commandments were not operational before then, it just means God did not write it down in stone until he gave them to Moses at Mt. Sinai. Let me illustrate: it was sin for Cain to kill Abel - and how did Abel know that? At the time of the flood people got very wicked and God judged them. How did they know they were wicked? God will not judge people who are innocent...They knew but by what source we are not told.

Sabbath keeping was a day when people refrained from doing their own thing and focused on God. The Pharisees later came on the scene and added their own laws to God's and made it more difficult then God intended. We read in Acts how the early church met on the LORD's Day, the first day of the week, replacing the Sabbath, although in reality it is a Sabbath because it was a day set aside in honor of Jesus' resurrection. Today those of us who observe the LORD's Day do so in honor of Jesus' resurrection on the first day of the week.

This was a common practice for most of the Christian era until in recent years. Apostasy invaded the church in recent years like a tsunami and with it came sharp criticism of observing the LORD's Day - do not know why unless it is because people want to engage in entertainment, or sports instead. The result of not giving God's his honor has resulted in people pursuing a life filled with pleasure. Ignoring 'Sabbath keeping' gives people more time to pursue pleasurable activities - it is big business. And God gets short shafted.

Those of us who observe the LORD's Day do it by attending worship services, hosting friends for lunch in our homes, visiting those in the community that are house-bound, and take a long nap - getting physically rested up for the upcoming week.

We do work on the LORD's day but only what is essential for life. If an ox falls in the ditch, he is retrieved. If a tornado roars through on a Sunday morning, that morning is spent rendering assistance to the victims. If we hear an hurricane is going to blow in on a Monday or Tuesday and there are ripe crops in the field needing to be harvested, the harvesters will run as long as possible to get the grain in. The incidents just noted have happened to our community here in Mississippi. Nobody believed it was sin to render assistance nor did anyone feel guilt for harvesting a ripe crop knowing full well this storm will destroy it unless it is brought in.

Keeping the LORD's Day is done in honor of Him who did so much for us. Since this is the case why do we want to begrudge him one day from our week?

This is my testimony - just thought I would share it AND I do not want to debate it.

2011/11/21 8:29Profile

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy