SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : Revivals And Church History : The fourth commandment: the Sabbath

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 Next Page )
PosterThread
myallinall

Wisconsin

The fourth commandment: the Sabbath

I just wanted to ask about the fourth commandment. I was reading over the ten commandments and trying to commit them to memory. The fourth commandment says to remember the sabbath day and keep it holy. I looked up what the sabbath meant and it refers to Saturday. Is this commandment just for the Jewish people? I asked a friend of mine who goes to the same church as I do(Baptist) and she told me that the Sabbath was changed to Sunday in the New Testament because that was the resurrection day. It didn't sound right to me that God would change His mind about one of His commandments. I plan on doing more research on this but thought I'd start here and get some input.

Sorry, I meant to post this in Scripture and Doctrine, but I don't know how to move it.

2011/11/4 18:48Profile
twayneb

Joplin, Missouri

Re: The fourth commandment: the Sabbath

myallinall:

I don't think God changed His mind about the Sabbath at all. His original intent in establishing that commandment as part of the law given to Moses and Israel has not changed. The purpose of the law was to point ultimately to Christ. Remember that scripture says that Jesus was witnessed by the law and the prophets. There is a lot that can be said about this, and a small space here to say it in. The book of Romans, especially chapters 1-8 are a fantastic teaching on the purpose of the law, as is the book of Hebrews. Here are a few scriptures to consider.

Col 2:16-17
(16) Let no man therefore judge you in meat, or in drink, or in respect of an holyday, or of the new moon, or of the sabbath days:
(17) Which are a shadow of things to come; but the body is of Christ.

Heb 8:1-13
(1) Now of the things which we have spoken this is the sum: We have such an high priest, who is set on the right hand of the throne of the Majesty in the heavens;
(2) A minister of the sanctuary, and of the true tabernacle, which the Lord pitched, and not man.
(3) For every high priest is ordained to offer gifts and sacrifices: wherefore it is of necessity that this man have somewhat also to offer.
(4) For if he were on earth, he should not be a priest, seeing that there are priests that offer gifts according to the law:
(5) Who serve unto the example and shadow of heavenly things, as Moses was admonished of God when he was about to make the tabernacle: for, See, saith he, that thou make all things according to the pattern shewed to thee in the mount.
(6) But now hath he obtained a more excellent ministry, by how much also he is the mediator of a better covenant, which was established upon better promises.
(7) For if that first covenant had been faultless, then should no place have been sought for the second.
(8) For finding fault with them, he saith, Behold, the days come, saith the Lord, when I will make a new covenant with the house of Israel and with the house of Judah:
(9) Not according to the covenant that I made with their fathers in the day when I took them by the hand to lead them out of the land of Egypt; because they continued not in my covenant, and I regarded them not, saith the Lord.
(10) For this is the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel after those days, saith the Lord; I will put my laws into their mind, and write them in their hearts: and I will be to them a God, and they shall be to me a people:
(11) And they shall not teach every man his neighbour, and every man his brother, saying, Know the Lord: for all shall know me, from the least to the greatest.
(12) For I will be merciful to their unrighteousness, and their sins and their iniquities will I remember no more.
(13) In that he saith, A new covenant, he hath made the first old. Now that which decayeth and waxeth old is ready to vanish away.

Heb 10:1-2
(1) For the law having a shadow of good things to come, and not the very image of the things, can never with those sacrifices which they offered year by year continually make the comers thereunto perfect.
(2) For then would they not have ceased to be offered? because that the worshippers once purged should have had no more conscience of sins.

The law was a shadow of better things to come. It was like a picture of the reality that God would bring to pass with the coming of Jesus Christ. Here are a few verses specific to the Sabbath.

Mar 2:24-28
(24) And the Pharisees said unto him, Behold, why do they on the sabbath day that which is not lawful?
(25) And he said unto them, Have ye never read what David did, when he had need, and was an hungred, he, and they that were with him?
(26) How he went into the house of God in the days of Abiathar the high priest, and did eat the shewbread, which is not lawful to eat but for the priests, and gave also to them which were with him?
(27) And he said unto them, The sabbath was made for man, and not man for the sabbath:
(28) Therefore the Son of man is Lord also of the sabbath.

Notice here that Jesus says that man was not made or created so that he might keep the sabbath, but rather the sabbath was made for man.

Heb 4:4-12
(4) For he spake in a certain place of the seventh day on this wise, And God did rest the seventh day from all his works.
(5) And in this place again, If they shall enter into my rest.
(6) Seeing therefore it remaineth that some must enter therein, and they to whom it was first preached entered not in because of unbelief:
(7) Again, he limiteth a certain day, saying in David, To day, after so long a time; as it is said, To day if ye will hear his voice, harden not your hearts.
(8) For if Jesus had given them rest, then would he not afterward have spoken of another day.
(9) There remaineth therefore a rest to the people of God.
(10) For he that is entered into his rest, he also hath ceased from his own works, as God did from his.
(11) Let us labour therefore to enter into that rest, lest any man fall after the same example of unbelief.
(12) For the word of God is quick, and powerful, and sharper than any twoedged sword, piercing even to the dividing asunder of soul and spirit, and of the joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart.

The Sabbath was instituted as a picture of a rest of faith that we as believers enter into through Christ. We rest from our own labors just as God did from His at the end of creation. This is not a one day a week rest from working, but rather a ceasing forever from laboring to produce righteousness or spiritual fruit from our own efforts. We enter into that rest through faith.

So it is not about Saturday, or Sunday, or any other day of the week. The early church chose to hallow Sunday because it was the traditional day that the Lord rose from the dead. John in writing the Revelation said, "I was in the Spirit on the Lord's day" The resurrection day is what he was referring to, or as we call it Sunday. But the point is not the day itself. The point is the thing that the "day" pointed to which is the resting from our own labors and the entering into the rest of the Lord, the rest of faith.

I believe it is a good thing to set apart a day to worship and rest. I do not believe it is something that we are required to do as believers. The real is here. We do not need to bother about the shadow any longer. Keep a day. Worship and rest. But remember it is only a shadow of the true Sabbath rest.

2011/11/6 21:59Profile
EverestoSama

Re:

Great post twayneb.

2011/11/6 22:45Profile

Dear myallinall, you are doing the right thing by seeking the truth, that's what we are commanded to do. The The fourth commandment is a Law issued by Yahweh our creator for all mankind throughout eternity.

Why do Christians all over the world insist on worshiping the creator on Sunday instead of Saturday the 7th day according to the Bible & the 10 Commandments? Why? Read

Daniel 7:25 And he shall speak great words against the most High, and shall wear out the saints of the most High, and think to change times and laws: and they shall be given into his hand until a time and times and the dividing of time.

Who changed the laws and times of Yahweh our creator? the Roman Catholic Church openly admits to changing the times. This is no secret, it has been recorded in many of their literature including - The Convert’s Catechism of Catholic Doctrine (1946)Peter Geiermann

...It was far from the intentions of the apostles to establish a divine command in this respect; far from them, and from the early apostolic church, to transfer the laws of the Sabbath to Sunday. The History of the Christian Religion and Church by Augustus Neander (Lutheran), page 186.

...The reasons why we keep the first day of the week holy instead of the seventh is for the same reason that we observe many other things, not because of the Bible, but the Church has enjoined it. Plain Sermons on Catechism by Isaac Williams (Anglican, and from which came the Methodists, Wesleyans, and Pentecostals), Volume 1, pages 334 and 336.

...The Catechismus Romanus was commanded by the Council
of Trent and published by the Vatican Press by order of Pope
14 Pius V, in 1566. This catechism for priests says: “It pleased the church of God, that the religious celebration of the Sabbath day should be transferred to ‘the Lord’s day’.” Catechism of the Council of Trent (Donovan’s translation, 1867), part 3, chap. 4, pg.345. The same, in a slightly different wording, is in the McHugh and Callan translation (1937 ed), pg. 402.

There are literally hundreds of quotes from the Catholics themselves that prove this fact. Repent from breaking the 4th commandment, it's not too late

2011/11/6 23:17
dietolive

Re: Monnkz

Monnkz,

You are a judiazer. You are on a mission to bring God's Chosen under your power. You wish to force the old rituals and ceremonies back upon their tender consciences.

We Christians do not even share the same scriptural foundation with you.

Rather, we know that:

1. The New Testament teaches that Old Covenant rituals are not binding on New Covenant Christians.

We Christians affirm that Old Covenant rituals and ceremonies have nothing to do with New Covenant salvation. Christians, whether Jew or Gentile, now have peace with God simply through our faith in Jesus Christ, Who,

Eph 2:14 ...hath made both one, and hath broken down the middle wall of partition between us;

Eph 2:15 Having abolished in his flesh the enmity, even the law of commandments contained in ordinances; for to make in himself of twain one new man...

The apostle teaches that the Old Covenant-required rituals and ceremonies that had so long separated Jew from Gentile have now been abolished by God. You say that they are binding on Christians and you imply that we Christians are lost because we take the apostle's teachings at face-value. By doing so, you have re-built a wall of separation between us, and this is an ABOMINATION to God.

We Christians firmly believe the inspired apostles when they teach that in no sense whatsoever are Old Covenant rituals necessary to observe in order to be saved. Rather, both Jews and Gentiles alike are saved by faith in Christ alone.

2. The N.T. teaches that Christ Himself is the fulfillment of the ritual and ceremonial observances of the Old Covenant.

Please consider:

Col 2:10 And ye are COMPLETE in HIM, which is the head of all principality and power:

Col 2:13 And you, being dead in your sins and the uncircumcision of your flesh, hath he quickened together with him, having forgiven you all trespasses;

Col 2:14 Blotting out the handwriting of ordinances that was against us, which was contrary to us, and took it out of the way, nailing it to his cross;

Col 2:15 And having spoiled principalities and powers, he made a shew of them openly, triumphing over them in it.

Col 2:16 LET NO MAN therefore judge you in meat, or in drink, or in respect of AN HOLYDAY, or of the new moon, or of the SABBATH days:

Col 2:17 Which are a SHADOW of things to come; but the BODY is of Christ.

The reasoning of the apostle in this place is that:

These ritual and ceremonial observances were merely symbolic and transitory, like a shadow being cast on a wall by a man's approaching body.

They merely pointed to various aspects of Christ's salvation ministry, (which at the time was yet to come), but which He has now been completely won for us.

Since Christ has indeed already come and has succeeded spectacularly in His mission to "purchase us with His own blood", we naturally set aside the UNNECESSARY rituals that merely pointed to that, and fully embrace Him instead, just as we would naturally set aside our attention from a man's shadow, once the man himself comes into our view...

By faith alone we NOW have Christ and by faith alone we are NOW made COMPLETE in Him. Rituals and ceremonies that once pointed to him have been made obsolete. The writer of Hebrews says plainly that these ritual observances had come to end. They,

Heb 9:10 ...stood only in meats and drinks, and divers washings, and carnal ordinances, imposed on them until the time of reformation.

Thank God! We have now entered into a new and glorious time where God has not only freed us from these carnal ordinances but has also,

Col 1:13 ...delivered us from the power of darkness, and hath translated us into the kingdom of his dear Son:

And this,

Rom 14:17 ... kingdom of God is not meat and drink; but righteousness, and peace, and joy in the Holy Ghost.

The New Testament writings clearly affirm that there is a change in God's requirements concerning rituals and ceremonial observances, but if you will not hear the apostles of our Lord Jesus Christ, perhaps you will you hear the prophets of the LORD instead:

3. The O.T. teaches that God Himself would be the One to alter His Own Word.

When Israel ignored the necessity of true heart-holiness, God Himself became sick of their ceremonies and their keeping of sabbaths:

Isa 1:13 Bring no more vain oblations; incense is an abomination unto me; the new moons and SABBATHS, the calling of assemblies, I cannot away with; it is iniquity, even the solemn meeting.

Isa 1:14 Your new moons and your appointed feasts my soul HATETH: they are a trouble unto me; I am weary to bear them.

God found this fault to be so consistent with them as to be detestable. He later spoke through the prophet Jeremiah:

Jer 31:31 Behold, the days come, saith the LORD, that I will make a NEW COVENANT with the house of Israel, and with the house of Judah:

Jer 31:32 Not according to the covenant that I made with their fathers in the day that I took them by the hand to bring them out of the land of Egypt; which my covenant they brake, although I was an husband unto them, saith the LORD:

Jer 31:33 But this shall be the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel; After those days, saith the LORD, I will put MY LAW in their inward parts, and write it in their HEARTS; and will be their God, and THEY shall be my people.

It may be asserted that God's "ethical" requirements can never be changed; that Scripture in the New Testament can never contradict Scripture in the Old Testament. Verses may be quoted to prove that men cannot change God's requirements, and this is good and right and true, but who are you to say that HE Himself CANNOT change His Own requirements? Didn't you notice that "YAH" says in the text: "I" will make a CHANGE regarding my covenant with the House of Israel?

4. Consider further:

The Old Covenant (along with it's ritual and ceremonial observances), has been REPLACED by the New Covenant, and it wasn't any mere man that did this, but GOD Himself :

Heb 10:9 ...HE TAKETH AWAY THE FIRST [COVENANT], that he may establish the second.

How can you have set yourself up to be a "teacher in Israel" when you don't even know "YAH's" mind? How can you be a true "watchman over Israel" when you are so totally ignorant of His purposes?

God Himself has changed the nature of our covenant with Him. He has changed the requirements and He has revealed a truly "new and living way." And truly, "where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is LIBERTY!" Through Christ alone we have,

Heb 10:19 ... boldness to enter into the holiest by the blood of Jesus,

Heb 10:20 By a NEW and LIVING WAY, which he hath consecrated for us, through the veil, that is to say, his flesh;

Heb 10:21 And having an high priest over the house of God;

Heb 10:22 Let us draw near with a TRUE HEART in full assurance of faith, having our hearts sprinkled from an evil conscience, and our bodies washed with pure water.

The New Covenant is the "NEW WAY", but our knowledge of it is not new. It had already been heralded by the prophets Jeremiah and Ezekiel, and its fulfillment has been fully explained to us by the apostles. Truly we are,

Eph 2:20 ... built upon the foundation of the apostles and prophets!

Consequently, we Christians know with the fullest assurance that:

5. The Bible says that the observing or not observing of individual holy days is not a “salvation issue”:

We Christians can take the simple teachings of the apostles at face-value:

Rom 14:4 Who art thou that judgest another man's servant? to his own master he standeth or falleth. Yea, he shall be holden up: for God is able to make him stand.

Rom 14:5 One man esteemeth ONE DAY above another: another esteemeth EVERY DAY alike. Let every man be fully persuaded in his own mind.

Rom 14:6 He that regardeth the day, regardeth it unto the Lord; and he that regardeth not the day, to the Lord he doth not regard it.

Col 2:16 LET NO MAN THEREFORE JUDGE YOU.

Even so, LORD JESUS. Amen.

May God bless the TRUE "Israel of God."
Doug.

2011/11/6 23:57Profile
Earendel

Central Alberta, Canada

Jesus is the Sabbath; He is our rest.

If we are in Jesus, we are in the sabbath (rest) (keeping it). Six days shall you labour, but on the seventh you shall rest and not do any work in it. We who are in Jesus have ceased from our works, that is to say our sin. ...we have entered into our rest, who is Jesus.

In Jesus He took away our sins and nailed them to the cross, so that God does not see our sins anymore. And where there is no sin, the righteousness that the Law of God requires is fulfilled. Thus it is written that Jesus came not to destroy the Law but to fulfill it. Jesus is the Sabbath! He is our Rest (freedom from sin)!!!

I stand not on my own righteousness or good works, but on the righteousness which comes by faith in the finished work of Christ. In Christ I have no sin because He took my sins away and nailed them to the cross, and where there is no sin, ALL the righteousness that the law of God requires is fufilled...thus is explained the righteousness by faith and Christ fulfilling the law.

How comes this righteousness? is by works? Is it by faith? Yes it is by faith, ...I am one of the elect of God and I know it, having repented of my sins and turned away from them, and turned to the God of my salvation with a pure and undefiled heart. But He called me by election. I am grateful that I know Him and that my name is written down in heaven.

Therefore, since a promise remains of entering His rest, let us fear lest any of you seem to have come short of it. For indeed the gospel was preached to us as well as to them; but the word which they heard did not profit them, not being mixed with faith in those who heard it. For we who have believed DO ENTER THAT REST... Hebrews 4:1-3

We who have believed, do enter into that rest (freedom from sin) who is Jesus, who is our rest (Sabbath).
The Sabbath (4th commandment) was a shadow and fore-type of what/who was to come who is Jesus.

To those, who through legalistic prose, intend to bring men into bondage, saying we must observe Holy Days and observe abstinence of certain types of meats which the Lord created to be received with thanksgiving, who say a woman must never cut her hair and wear and to always wear a hat, of meats and drinks...to those of you who would put a stumbling block in your brothers way saying we must keep the Law of Moses to be saved.

Hear me:

Who are you to judge another’s servant? To his own master he stands or falls. Indeed, he will be made to stand, for God is able to make him stand.

One person esteems one day above another; another esteems every day alike. Let each be fully convinced in his own mind.

He who observes the day (Sabbath), observes it to the Lord; and he who does not observe the day, to the Lord he does not observe it.

He who eats, eats to the Lord, for he gives God thanks; and he who does not eat, to the Lord he does not eat, and gives God thanks.

For none of us lives to himself, and no one dies to himself. For if we live, we live to the Lord; and if we die, we die to the Lord. Therefore, whether we live or die, we are the Lord’s.

For to this end Christ died and rose and lived again, that He might be Lord of both the dead and the living.

But why do you judge your brother? Or why do you show contempt for your brother?

For we shall all stand before the judgment seat of Christ. For it is written:

“ As I live, says the LORD,
Every knee shall bow to Me,
And every tongue shall confess to God.”

So then each of us shall give account of himself to God. Therefore let us not judge one another anymore, but rather resolve this, not to put a stumbling block or a cause to fall in our brother’s way. Romans 14:4-13

Heed the words of the Apostles:

Since we have heard that some who went out from us have troubled you with words, unsettling your souls, saying, “You must be circumcised and keep the law” — to whom we gave no such commandment — it seemed good to us, being assembled with one accord, to send chosen men to you with our beloved Barnabas and Paul, men who have risked their lives for the name of our Lord Jesus Christ. We have therefore sent Judas and Silas, who will also report the same things by word of mouth. For it seemed good to the Holy Spirit, and to us, to lay upon you no greater burden than these necessary things: that you abstain from things offered to idols, from blood, from things strangled, and from sexual immorality. If you keep yourselves from these, you will do well.

Farewell. Acts 15:24-29

Nothing mentioned by them about observing Holy Days/Sabbaths...because they knew and understood that JESUS IS THE SABBATH...and we are in Him and He in us and we keep the Sabbath all 7 days, not just one day a week.

2011/11/7 6:24Profile
a-servant

Re:

Isaiah 66:23  And it shall come to pass, that from one new moon to another, and from one sabbath to another, shall all flesh come to worship before me, saith the LORD. And they shall go forth, and look upon the carcases of the men that have transgressed against me: for their worm shall not die, neither shall their fire be quenched; and they shall be an abhorring unto all flesh.

If i see this correctly, there are just two parties in the millennium, everyone that is alive that will come to worship before the Lord from one sabbath to another, and on the other side the carcases of the men that have transgressed against Him.

If any good sounding wall of words is not compatible with that, it's because it's not sound scriptural truth. So I have to stick with what's written, not with what could be almost right.

Jesus is Lord of the sabbath, he is not the sabbath. Would he be the sabbath then Isaiah 66:23 would be totally wrong. Small but important step in direction to understand the difference between Bible and "christaneese".

2011/11/7 20:28Profile
Matthew2323

Colorado

Re:

Here's an excellent article regarding whether Christians are bound by moral law to observe a Sabbath Day:

http://www.triviumpursuit.com/downloads/sabbath_syllogism_2006.pdf

This is a powerful exegete of Scripture and well worth the time is takes to read and study.

Grace and peace,
Matthew

2011/11/7 21:53Profile
a-servant

Re:

Zechariah 14:16  And it shall come to pass, that every one that is left of all the nations which came against Jerusalem shall even go up from year to year to worship the King, the LORD of hosts, and to keep the feast of tabernacles. And it shall be, that whoso will not come up of all the families of the earth unto Jerusalem to worship the King, the LORD of hosts, even upon them shall be no rain. And if the family of Egypt go not up, and come not, that have no rain; there shall be the plague, wherewith the LORD will smite the heathen that come not up to keep the feast of tabernacles. This shall be the punishment of Egypt, and the punishment of all nations that come not up to keep the feast of tabernacles.

---

Another one of these prophecies that state that the heathen cannot bring their own traditions, just because they got tempted to regard them as fitting. Because the Lord is King, the one that does not change, even to the point to keep his own holy days. Not sure what the 'spirtitually wise in their own eyes' have to say to that. Just when they labled these ceremonies as 'jewish, old covenant or ceremonial law' the King himself changes all that for them. And this is just a few short years away from today, some people say, what makes me wonder who of the religious folks will be able to adjust that fast, considering most of the thinking in this regard basically will have to change, or be obsolete in a heartbeat. At the moment i'm thinking, if one's ideas regarding that isn't future compatible, we still can drop it now while it's still considered only an comprehension error, not yet an offence to the Lord. Another example of His grace, as in 'time to learn to see things His way, not in the way of the ones erred before us'.

Right now Jesus would have a very hard time explaining His 'jewish, old covenant or ceremonial law' fav. likes of holy days and feasts to a 'spiritually much advanced' crowd that would rebuke Him for all his 'backwardness' and stuck on legalistic things that are "nailed to the cross".
One reason most people never read the prophets, they are just too confusing, just when you thought you have this old-new covenant thing sorted :-)

2011/11/8 21:21Profile
dietolive

Re: a-servant

Hi a-servant,

You may certainly keep whatever days or ceremonies you wish. However, other true believers in the Lord Jesus do not have to follow you in doing so, per the Scriptures in my previous post above.

Mere eschatological interpretations about end-times NEVER contradict the plain teachings of the apostles.

The Good Lord may do whatever He wants in some future age, but the apostles already told us plainly what the requirements are for us in this one.

I hope this is helpful to the reader.

God bless you all.
Doug

2011/11/8 21:34Profile

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy