SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : just a random question about men of God

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 )
PosterThread
Lysa

East TN for now!

Re: just a random question about men of God

Quote:
Sree wrote:
You have confused gifts with fruits. A man of God should have fruits of Spirit and Wisdom is one of it. If you seek Godly Wisdom, you will get it. But gifts are something given according to the will of Holy Spirit. You cannot decide that you will become a preacher and ask God to make you one. He might have had a better plan for you for his glory. Ultimately we all want to do things for his glory and not for us. If it is for us then we will all want to be a preacher because that has greater visibility. But how many of us seek the gift of giving or gift of Faith which are hardly visible but equally important to God.
Sister, God knows what gift to give you to utilize you for his glory. May be if he had made me a preacher then Iwill fall in pride so he dint make me one.

I don’t believe I’ve confused the gifts with the fruits; I do understand what you are saying even though I’m not in total agreement with it.

I believe the Lord looks for those who ‘dare to believe,’ ‘dare to ask,’ ‘dare to knock,’ and/or ‘dare to seek.” James tells us that we have not because we ask not. That’s all I’m just trying to say.

I don’t believe that our relationship with Christ is a static one; and brother, what are the possibilities of what we could have if we believed that we could ask?

God bless you, my friend,
Lisa

2011/10/28 23:41Profile
Sree

Re:

Quote:

I believe the Lord looks for those who ‘dare to believe,’ ‘dare to ask,’ ‘dare to knock,’ and/or ‘dare to seek.” James tells us that we have not because we ask not. That’s all I’m just trying to say.

I don’t believe that our relationship with Christ is a static one; and brother, what are the possibilities of what we could have if we believed that we could ask?

God bless you, my friend,
Lisa
Quote:

I don't think you are wrong. I have seeked for gifts before but I prayed for a gift that will save me from discouragement because of the losses that I went through due to my faith. I have not prayed for any specific gift.
But I don't have a scripture supporting that a person cannot pray for a specific Gift. So no way can I say that you are wrong.

2011/10/29 6:15Profile
Lysa

East TN for now!

Re: Sree

Quote:
Sree wrote:
I don't think you are wrong. I have seeked for gifts before but I prayed for a gift that will save me from discouragement because of the losses that I went through due to my faith. I have not prayed for any specific gift.
But I don't have a scripture supporting that a person cannot pray for a specific Gift. So no way can I say that you are wrong.

Brother, I know there’s a fine line in asking and believing AND receiving, I’m not saying there isn’t. A good friend just died from complications of her fourth round of chemo from breast cancer and I think her family handled it better than I did. I know she died believing and that she said, “if You heal me, I’ll praise Your holy name and if I die, I’ll praise Your holy name!” She is praising His holy name. (Edit: Three years ago, she was being prayed for and she received Him (the Holy Spirit) and her daughter did the same night. Last year her husband welcomed Him! And they were all Baptist through and through!! She always said, "the devils a liar, he has lied to me my whole life that this wasn't for me or that it has died away. He's wonderful")

About the baptism, people receive Him differently; I prayed for almost a year to receive the baptism of the Holy Spirit and when He was poured out on me, I wasn’t even at church. The pastor prayed for another woman at church who had a baby and the Lord spoke to her and said, “Go home and pray in tongues over your baby.” She went home and while rocking her baby, she obeyed and received. And Jimp received while he was praying too! Carter Conlon received the baptism at the prison he was visiting (I think). Derek Prince received the baptism before he even knew there was a baptism in his barracks in the desert during WWII (he had only been saved for two weeks)!

To everyone who has tried and supposedly failed, don’t close that avenue off to the Lord, just be open to Him when you are in your secret prayer closet and when you feel a Holy presence in your room, open your mouth and start thanking Him. I’ve found with some people when I’m praying for them that when they feel that holy presence they clam up and shut their mouths because they think God is going to force them to speak in tongues; no, He isn’t!! Just open your mouth and begin thanking Him for His presence that He even visited you; and perhaps that will be the day or maybe it will be another day! But we know that His presence is holy and peaceful and strengthens us for another day to seek Him!

God bless you brother and everyone else who desires more of the Lord, don't give up on Him!
Lisa

2011/10/29 11:49Profile

Re:

Something Lisa said that God is looking for those people who dare to believe, dare to knock, dare to ask, etc. reminded ne of Peter in the boat. When he saw Jesus in the stormy lake he said Lord if it is you tell me to come out to you. You know the story. Jesus said come. Peter got out on water and was walking toward Jesus. It was when Peter saw the wind he saw his theology go baptism by immersion. When Jesus grabbed and steadied him Jesus said where is your faith.

Notice Jesus did not question Peter about the absutd request of getting out of the boat. But where was his faith in Jesus? As Lisa would say just my 2 cents worth.

Blaine

2011/10/29 12:08
MaryJane

Re:

Lisa

I have a quick question for you...do you believe as do some that speaking in tongues is proof of Baptism of the Holy Spirit? Do you believe that if I person does not speak in tongues that they are not filled with the Holy Spirit and that they have not been baptized by the Holy Spirit??

Just trying to understand what your thoughts and belief on this are...

God Bless
maryjane

2011/10/29 12:35Profile
Lysa

East TN for now!

Re: CORRECTION!!!! (not)

Quote:
by MaryJane
Lisa

I have a quick question for you...do you believe as do some that speaking in tongues is proof of Baptism of the Holy Spirit? Do you believe that if I person does not speak in tongues that they are not filled with the Holy Spirit and that they have not been baptized by the Holy Spirit??

Just trying to understand what your thoughts and belief on this are...

MaryJane,

I'm sorry, I've been out of town to church!!! But no, I do *(NOT) adhere to "you must speak in tongues" as proof of the baptism of the Holy Spirit. And no, I would never tell someone that because they don't speak in tongues they are not filled or have not been baptized with the Holy Spirit.

I am passionate about the gift of tongues because I know how it's blessed me and even others and I would love to see someone else be blessed too! I am passionate about the gift of prophesy as well because that has been a blessing in my life too!

I'm sorry if my zeal has put a damper on anything, I have only meant to encourage anyone in seeking the gifts that they are for today and for our edification and to be more like Jesus.

God bless you,
Lisa

2011/10/30 0:18Profile
Oracio

Whittier CA USA

does any know whether Brother Leonard Ravenhill spoek in tongues or brother Keith

"There are diversities of gifts, but the same Spirit. There are differences of ministries, but the same Lord. And there are diversities of activities, but it is the same God who works all in all. But the manifestation of the Spirit is given to each one for the profit of all: for to one is given the word of wisdom through the Spirit, to another the word of knowledge through the same Spirit, to another faith by the same Spirit, to another gifts of healings by the same Spirit, to another the working of miracles, to another prophecy, to another discerning of spirits, to another different kinds of tongues, to another the interpretation of tongues. But one and the same Spirit works all these things, distributing to each one individually as He wills."(1Cor.12:4-11)

"Now you are the body of Christ, and members individually. And God has appointed these in the church: first apostles, second prophets, third teachers, after that miracles, then gifts of healings, helps, administrations, varieties of tongues. Are all apostles? Are all prophets? Are all teachers? Are all workers of miracles? Do all have gifts of healings? Do all speak with tongues? Do all interpret? But earnestly desire the best gifts. And yet I show you a more excellent way."(1Cor.12:27-31)

2011/10/30 2:12Profile
Lysa

East TN for now!

Re: just a random question about men of God

I just wanted to bump this b/c I made a correction to my above statement! It's what I get for typing fast because I had been out of town most of the day and was heading to bed to work ALL day today (where there is no computer access)! I'm sorry for the mistake.

God bless,
Lisa

2011/10/30 23:39Profile
Sree

Re:

Quote:

About the baptism, people receive Him differently; I prayed for almost a year to receive the baptism of the Holy Spirit and when He was poured out on me, I wasn’t even at church. The pastor prayed for another woman at church who had a baby and the Lord spoke to her and said, “Go home and pray in tongues over your baby.” She went home and while rocking her baby, she obeyed and received. And Jimp received while he was praying too! Carter Conlon received the baptism at the prison he was visiting (I think). Derek Prince received the baptism before he even knew there was a baptism in his barracks in the desert during WWII (he had only been saved for two weeks)!

To everyone who has tried and supposedly failed, don’t close that avenue off to the Lord, just be open to Him when you are in your secret prayer closet and when you feel a Holy presence in your room, open your mouth and start thanking Him. I’ve found with some people when I’m praying for them that when they feel that holy presence they clam up and shut their mouths because they think God is going to force them to speak in tongues; no, He isn’t!! Just open your mouth and begin thanking Him for His presence that He even visited you; and perhaps that will be the day or maybe it will be another day! But we know that His presence is holy and peaceful and strengthens us for another day to seek Him!

Lisa, gifts and baptism in Holy Spirit are totally different. Even if a person speak in Tongue I would still not believe the person is filled with holy spirit if I don’t see the fruits of the spirit in the person.
Baptism in Holy spirit, is when you receive the Holy spirit. I had my moment too. But a person needs to walk continuously with God to be filled with the holy spirit. Not every one who is baptized in Holy spirit are filled with it now. They either have their have their Christian life standstill (happy with just receiving) or backslidden.
I don't believe in talking publicly about the gifts I received. Neither do the men of God I know. All I know is if the gifts are not used to build the body of Christ then it is not serving its purpose.

2011/10/31 9:51Profile
Lysa

East TN for now!

Re: Sree

Quote:
Sree wrote:
Even if a person speak in Tongue I would still not believe the person is filled with holy spirit if I don’t see the fruits of the spirit in the person.

(In reference to your statement) Looking back at my walk in the Lord, when He poured out on me (both the baptism and the gift of tongues all in the same evening), I was only about a year old in the Lord and (looking back), I was a very worldly Christian (I’m sure people judged me the same as in your statement) but my testimony is that His patience and presence in me has brought me to the place I am now.

Thirty years ago, I’m sure there was a LOT of people at church who would not have given me the baptism of the Holy Spirit! So I’m (thankful) that God saw something in me and had hope that I would get better (more mature) with His presence in me than I would without His presence.

Brother, I don’t have all the answers (for how others behave), I can only testify to what I’ve seen the Lord do in me but I’d like to ask that (when God has given the Holy Spirit to someone), “How can we call unclean what God has called clean?”

God bless you,
Lisa

*** Words in () are my edited words – for more clarity.

2011/10/31 12:14Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy