SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : just a random question about men of God

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
PosterThread
DEADn

Lakeland FL

Re:

From my own perspective on tongues. I have been around the phenomenon and I have not seen it produce anything fruitful in the lives of those who I have been close to. In fact it has caused some to go off the deep end on issues. I don't see tongues used in scripture alot except for extreme cases and Paul on touches on it briefly but doesn't seem to emphasize it in my reading as if a christian has to have it.

When a christian emphasizes speaking in tongues to another christian, exactly what are they saying to their fellow christian?
I have been told it is all about power-really? There was a time that I supposedly spoke in tongues and was egged on by others to keep it going. I had no more power than when I spoke in my own language. I eventually stopped because it seemed more of a game than something of spiritual significance

There is a reason why some of these preachers listed by the original posted don't speak in tongues.

Just my thoughts.

2011/10/28 8:54Profile
Lysa

East TN for now!

Re: just a random question about men of God

Quote:
Mrgal220 wrote:
does any know whether Brother Leonard Ravenhill spoek in tongues or brother Keith Daniel, Brother Conlon carter or Paul Washer

Carter Conlon does speak in tongues...

He Lives in Me
https://www.sermonindex.net/modules/mydownloads/singlefile.php?lid=2089&commentView=itemComments

To any naysayers, the message is NOT about speaking in tongues (probably only two min long out of a sixty min sermon), it's about all the glorious things that God had done in Carter's life to bring him to where he was at that time (of the sermon), so if you want hear of the wonderful things of God, please listen to this message! If God did it for Carter, He will do it for you if you're willing to "Lord, send me!"

God bless you,
Lisa

2011/10/28 9:27Profile
Lysa

East TN for now!

Re:

Quote:
Krispy wrote:
Why does it matter? All of the men mentioned preach the Word of God boldly... they speak truth. According to Paul's writings that is MUCH more important than speaking in tongues.

Why dont people get concerned about the gift of hospitality or the gift of helps?

We truly are a generation that seeks miracles, are we not?

Brother, speaking in tongues is NOT a miracle, it's a GIFT given from God to His people that ask for it. I'm not to page two yet, but this thread doesn't seem to be about seeking miracles.

God bless you, brother,
Lisa

2011/10/28 9:35Profile
jimp

Re:

hi, i would like to tell you that 45 years ago as a baptist evangelist who was having problems with the lust of the flesh or really of the eye, iquit preaching so i would not disgrace the ministry and christianity as a whole and went back in business.i was hassled by many christians and even told that i had committed the unpardonable sin.one night while i was weeping and confessing my sin to the Lord i said to the LOrd"i am not a very good christian in fact i am not worth a crap as a christian and Lord i need special help to live what i believe and i began to speak in tongues like a river with never having been in a pentacostal church.after God emersed me in His Spirit i have seen many ,many miracles and thousands saved and filled and am still praising Jesus for His mercy and grace toward me.jimp does that make me better than you?no...it just made me better than me.

2011/10/28 9:45Profile
Lysa

East TN for now!

Re:

Quote:
DEADn wrote:
From my own perspective on tongues. I have been around the phenomenon and I have not seen it produce anything fruitful in the lives of those who I have been close to. In fact it has caused some to go off the deep end on issues.

If I may set the record straight here...

The gift of tongues is not a phenomenon, it is a gift from the Father above to those who believe He is giving gifts today!

And two: the gift of tongues does not make people go off the deep end. If someone goes off the deep end, then that was a chink in their armor that has always been there. And the devil gets people to say, "Oh the common denominator MUST BE the gift of tongues," when the common denominator is actually "US," our flesh and not submitting our worldly things to God.

And thirdly, I don't know the people you know but I'm quite sure that through out my life, I've caused people to say, "That there gift of tongues in her life is not fruitful so therefore it can't be good." And for that I apologize but only God knows about our fruit from it. Just as your not perfect, those who speak in tongues are not perfect either.

God bless you,
Lisa

2011/10/28 9:49Profile
DEADn

Lakeland FL

Re:

Lisa

According to your words this seems very close to you? In my experience most of those who speak in tongues are usually in pentecostal churches. I began going to the AoG church after I became a beleiver. I grew up Lutheran so this was a BIG BIG BIG change. I heard tongues on my first visit. Scared me but I stayed to understand what that was. Inquiring minds.

I say phenomenon because it is a spiritual expression. All spiritual expressions are phenomenons because they are not of this world. It cannot be explained by natural means. Christians call some of them gifts but they are also phenomenons as well.

The people I knew who spoke in tongues some were in leadership as well as the average person. Yes, they were not all perfect but I didn't perceive anything in them that matured them as a christian as a result of speaking in tongues. Whether it was answered or unanswered prayer or studying the bible. Unless I was too blind to notice it. Tongues is said to be another prayer language at one point.

I came to a point where I decided that if God 'baptizes' me with tongues then so be it. I will yield to it BUT as I have told others who speak in tongues- though you speak with tongues of angels and can prophesy- if you do not have love than you are nothing. Tongues can quickly be akin to just sounding brass in the ears of most unless God gives an interpretation yet more people will respond to love than they will someone speaking in tongues.

2011/10/28 10:36Profile

Re:

First of all, yes tongues is a "miracle" by definition which is why the apostles demonstrated it along with other miracles... to validate their message that they truly were sent by God.

Secondly, there is not one scripture that claims that tongues is given to anyone who asks for it. I challenge anyone here to show me one. If that were the case then you would have to say that everyone who asks for the gift of teaching receives that one... and clearly that is not the case.

I would just once like to see believers on their knees asking and begging and pleading with God to give them the gift of "service"... THAT would be a miracle! lol

Krispy

2011/10/28 11:22
gators52

Central Florida

Re:

It's amazing to me that only in America do we discuss these things. I'm sure believers outside of this country don't ever really discuss things such as this. Take Christ for who He says He is. God is alive and well and His word will stand forever. i know godly men and women who don't speak in tongues as well as those who do. It is a gift... God Bless all those who have it and God Bless those who do not. Your still saved none the less:-). The secret place is where He truly operates.

2011/10/28 11:31Profile
Lysa

East TN for now!

Re: just a random question about men of God

Brother Krispy, most times we stand on opposite sides of the issues! Hopefully still loving Christ though?! This is not a blanket statement for every single person in the universe but I see the other side of your argument that I don’t think ENOUGH people ask the Lord for the gift of teaching His precious Word and there is so much garbage out there because they haven’t asked.

I truly believe that if a child of God asks his Father for the baptism of the Holy Spirit and the gift of tongues and BELIEVE that it is for them Biblically, he or she will receive it! I honestly believe in ANYTHING we ask the problem lies in the following verses in James 1:5-6…

5 If any of you lacks wisdom, let him ask God, who gives generously to all without reproach, and it will be given him. 6 But let him ask IN FAITH, with NO DOUBTING, for the one who doubts is like a wave of the sea that is driven and tossed by the wind.

When we waiver with questions, “Maybe God doesn’t want me to be a teacher and I’m not in His will by asking…” or “Maybe God doesn’t want me to speak in tongues” or “Maybe I’m part of the ones that Paul talked about that ‘not all speak in tongues’ and it isn’t for me….” no wonder no one receives. My Bible says to “Come boldly to the throne of grace,” with confidence that if it’s in the Bible, I want it! I don’t want the Father withholding ANY good thing from me!! Ask, seek and knock!!! Only believe!

I hope this is understandable and that my passion has not alienated you.
God bless you brother!!!
Lisa

OH!! PS:

Quote:
Secondly, there is not one scripture that claims that tongues is given to anyone who asks for it. I challenge anyone here to show me one.

Mt 7:11 If ye then, being evil, know how to give GOOD GIFTS unto your children, how much more shall your Father which is in heaven give good things to them THAT ASK HIM?
Lu 11:13 If ye then, being evil, know how to give GOOD GIFTS unto your children: how much more shall your heavenly Father give the Holy Spirit to them THAT ASK HIM?

2011/10/28 13:41Profile
MaryJane

Re:

Lisa you wrote:I truly believe that if a child of God asks his Father for the baptism of the Holy Spirit and the gift of tongues and BELIEVE that it is for them Biblically, he or she will receive it

I did ask, I prayed, for hours at a time praying and waiting on God to give me this gift of tongues. I was told I did not really believe so I began to doubt my walk with the Lord. I prayed harder. I cried and pleaded with the Lord for this gift of tongues because all around me said it was my fault that I had not received it. That I did not have faith, that I did not truly love the Lord. I kept confessing over and over again but still nothing. I was devastated. I stayed up long hours on my knees praying and asking God to give me the gift of tongues. I was told that i should just start making up words and that it would come and that the Holy Spirit would take over and give me the gift of tongues, but even that was all just self. It was a very devastating time for me because I felt as if I had failed God in some way. This went on for a long while, months passed and then finally God just opened my heart to see that I had been desiring this gift more then I desired HIM.It has become a prize almost to be had. The Lord in His love and mercy showed me that HE was enough for me and that I did not need to chase after other things. I just needed to keep my focus on JESUS.

I have heard other pray and even sing in tongues, it is very beautiful. I can see that these brothers and sisters love the Lord deeply. I do believe the gifts of tongues is still given to whom the Lord chooses but to say that anyone who asks will receive it... well that can just set people up for a great deal of hurt. God chooses to give what HE knows is best and fit for each believer. I do not think it makes any of us better or less just that we are being shaped and molded to be a part of the body and to do a work according to HIS will. Some are given tongues all according to God's will and desire for them.

I know this is important to you Lisa and I am glad God has chosen to use you in this way.

God Bless you
maryjane

2011/10/28 15:18Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy