SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : SermonIndex Announcements : Bible School update (webmaster)

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 Next Page )
PosterThread
Yodi

Escondido, California

Re:

Yes, it is [i]such[/i] a blessing to hear and see all God is doing in and through you up there at the Bible college. It makes me cry mostly, tears of joy. But it also puts a great big smile on my face. God is [i]so[/i] good!

You're in my continual prayers.

2005/2/10 15:02Profile
sermonindex

"Pilgrim and Sojourner." - 1 Peter 2:11

Online!
 Re:

Quote:
Good to hear from you. I am very interested in 'simplified Greek'. Do they do any learning by extension stuff? I know lots of missionaries in far flung places who would love to get their hands on that module.

Hi Ron, sorry for the belated response. Yes I think they are setting up quite an extensive "School of Correspondence" which people can get the classes in mp3 and or video (DVD) and essentially have many of the benefits of the class as if they were here in person.
[url=http://12.28.138.10/index.php?option=com_content&task=section&id=6&Itemid=70]Click here for more details on these correspondence courses...[/url] there doesn't seem to be a course listing but I am sure greek is offered. The boo they are using for the course is: Benginner's grammer of the Greek New Testament by William Hersey Davis. And also an greek lexicon and an interliner greek new testament (I dont have it infront of me but I am pretty sure its "Greens" version which is the one based on the greek the people used for the KJV). But in class the teacher said the "stephanus" version is the best and purest probably going back to the apostle paul.

2005/2/13 14:30Profile
sermonindex

Online!
 Re:

Hi Everyone, I am feeling abit sick and would covet your prayers for my physical health. School is going great and I have been quite busy working on assignments and homework. I have some pictures that I will get up very soon of the scenery of the campus. Here is my quick weekly homework assignment for the hebrews class:

[b]Assignment 2 – Hebrews
by Greg Gordon[/b]

“Let us fear therefore, lest haply, a promise being left of entering into his rest, anyone of you should seem to have come short of it. For indeed we have had good tidings preached unto us, even as also they: but the word of hearing did not profit them, because they were not united by faith with them that heard. For we which have believed do enter into that rest; even as he hath said, As I sware in my wrath, they shall not enter into my rest: although the works were finished from the foundation of the world.” – Hebrews 4:1-3

The Gospel of God has been preached from days old through God’s mighty works and provisions, and the people believing on these things with faith were counted as partaking of the promise of the rest of God. What is the rest of God? How did people enter into it? And how can a person fail to enter in? These are some questions, which are worth meditating on and trying to answer. In the preface to a commentary on Hebrews the godly Andrew Murray states really the thrust of why many don’t know the rest of God, or fall short of it in our day, “the main difficultly lay in the want of religious earnestness. Their case was very much what has been the story of almost every Church, and what marks the state of the greater part of Christendom at the present day.” Therefore we need to go through with God and enter into all that He has for us lest we fall short of our benefits and position in the life of Jesus Christ whose spirit we partake with daily.

Firstly let us look at the rest of God seeing how it is shown in this passage of Hebrews and also as a spiritual principal found across the scriptures. The rest of God simply put is a person that being Jesus Christ. But it is not just accepting Christ but entering into a belief in the Gospel of God that takes us beyond our natural capacity to rest into a heavenly rest. A type of this is shown as God rests from His creative work on the seventh day and also for us as our summation of salvation shall enter into an eternal rest in the bosom of God Himself. But even know on this earthly plane we can enter into a rest in Christ, a place where our live is so hid in Christ in the heavens that our existence becomes heavenly. Rest is the opposition of work or activity, and it is said that Christ died once for all that all have died and therefore those who live should live for Christ alone and not for themselves. Therefore the Rest of God is apart from the selfish desires and works of men but rather a place where God will be glorified when we strive to enter therein. Rest is defined by the commentator Matthew Henry as “of entering into a covenant-relation to Christ, and a state of communion with God through Christ, and of growing up therein, till we are made perfect in glory.”

Now this rest being shown by God to be such a wonderful place to enter into by the gospel of God but at the same time is shown to be a place where a person much persist and desire full-heartily to enter. Believe being the paramount and really only access way into this rest is made very clear in the scripture passage. John Calvin stated logically that if “Unbelief alone shuts us out; then faith alone opens an entrance.” So to enter into rest requires belief not just in general but in the object of God’s ‘good tidings’ or more commonly phrased gospel. God has made the way open to His rest to all that would hear the gospel and believe therefore being obedient to that heavenly calling. The fact that this gospel is given so widely and unreservedly speaks much more of the wonder of partaking in something so free and glorious. Surely God is still offering this rest in the words of the prophet Isaiah, ‘come eat and drink with no money and be satisfied’ this being said over 2000 years ago still rings true today in hearts of people that enter into the rest believing.

Now lastly the most frightful and pitiful side of this wonderful meditation is that though God has a rest and offers it freely, that people can still fall short of it to their destruction. The scripture passage that we are pondering starts off with the chilling words ‘Let us fear’ this being the sound heed given to all that would desire to partake of the rest that God offers. We cannot enter this rest frivolously not understanding the God’s rest in whom we are entering. God gives the solemn requirement of those who believe to have this belief marked upon their hearts in a life of rest leading to rest, ‘choose this day whom you will serve’ (believe). In God’s rest is shown grace and mercy, but apart from His rest or the promise of it lies, wrath and a fearful exception of things to come.

This warning of falling short of His rest cannot be emphasized enough we need to realize that salvation and Christian life is something that is ongoing and does not stop until we are taking into His eternal rest in the bosom of God. The old Methodist John Clarke shares this concern of falling short in these words, “The verb ‘come short’ is applied here metaphorically; it is an allusion, of which there are so many in this epistle, to the races in the Grecian games: he that came short was he who was any distance, no matter how small, behind the winner. Will it avail any of us how near we get to heaven, if the door be shut before we arrive? How dreadful the thought, to have only missed being eternally saved! To run well, and yet to permit the devil, the world, or the flesh, to hinder in the few last steps! Reader, watch and be sober.” How much more can we all individually in our day as the Church of Jesus Christ take heed to these words and the testimony and ensamples of Gods dealings with the Jews and the church. Are we falling short of this day by day abiding and believing in the promises of God? Let the living God sift your heart daily while it is still called ‘Today’, now is the day of Salvation let us be found abiding in Him, knowing Him and being known by Him.

Prayer: Lord lead me into thy rest daily while it is still called ‘today’. Give me an believing heart that is reckoning and ultimately resting on your promises of life day by day. Let not my heart become cold and dull through unbelief, make me to love thy commandments and enlarge my heart that I may walk in your ways. Amen.

2005/2/22 12:05Profile
sermonindex

Online!
 Re:

[img]http://www.sermonindex.net/modules/myalbum/photos/thumbs/1236.jpg[/img]

Here are some pictures from the Calvary Chapel Bible School Campus, I will get up more in the next day or so.

2005/2/24 18:38Profile
philologos

Reading, UK

Re:

Quote:
And also an greek lexicon and an interliner greek new testament (I dont have it infront of me but I am pretty sure its "Greens" version which is the one based on the greek the people used for the KJV). But in class the teacher said the "stephanus" version is the best and purest probably going back to the apostle paul.

Thanks Greg, I missed this.
The Stephen's text was created from a group of manuscripts which are really very small sub-set of the Byzantine textform manuscripts. Personally, I would have more confidence in Green than Stephens. What Bible software are you using now that you have swapped to Macs? I ask because E-sword has the Pierpoint-Robinson Byzantine textform Greek version available. (so does Online Bible)

If your lecturer is looking for the Greek text behind the KJV Scrivener's construct would be the best. Scrivener was a strong advocate of the Byzantine text and created the text that he believed must have been used by the KJV translators. This is also available on e-sword and online bible.

2005/2/25 3:18Profile
philologos

Reading, UK

Re:

Quote:
Here are some pictures from the Calvary Chapel Bible School Campus, I will get up more in the next day or so.

Nice pix, but a conspicuous absence of pigeons?

2005/2/25 3:21Profile
sermonindex

Online!
 Re:

Quote:
What Bible software are you using now that you have swapped to Macs?

I am not using any bible software at this point on the mac. I am praying that I can get this software at discount: http://www.accordancebible.com/ - it is just made for the mac is supposed to be top quality.

Yes I apologize for the lack of people in the pictures I have not been ambitious to use my camera that much this semester yet. I will get around to it. :-P

2005/3/1 0:23Profile
sermonindex

Online!
 Re:

Things are going great at the Bible School. I have been very busy with homework and times of fellowship with believers. God has been teaching me much and I know he is softening my heart more and more as I press into Him. There is so much work to do in our lifes and I know God has alot of work to do, I am just trying to submit as much as I can.

I have been so immersed in the scriptures its amazing how time I have been able to spend reading the word, hearing it taught and expounded. Psalm 119 has been precious as we go through it every day for devotionals where a different teacher teaches each day.

I have gotten a few more pictures up:
[img]http://www.sermonindex.net/modules/myalbum/photos/thumbs/1256.jpg[/img]

and others here: CCBC Pictures

Thank you everyone for your prayers and support. There are alot of amazing things happening in my life and its a huge blessing to be here to grow in the Lord.

2005/3/14 19:26Profile
sermonindex

Online!
 Re:

[b]Update: April 11th[/b]
Sorry I have not gotten more updates with my progress at Bible School in California. I am in the second part of the semester, there was an spring break week which I stayed with Josh Olsons family and had great times of fellowship and doing some great things. I had a chance to rock climb and if you all really knew how scared I am of heights it was a miricale. It was great I went with a the mission cordinators from CC Escondido (Rick and Kelly K.). There were lots of other times to serve and read, and be blessed during the break so when I came back to school I was very refreshed physically, mentally, and spiritually.

It has been great to finish all the mid-terms for my courses. I really had a peace and assurance for finishing each one and I feel I did well on all of them. God has definetly been blessing me with many friends and dear brothers in the Lord to fellowship with on campus. There still are trials and things I have to overcome but God has been proving Himself over and over again.

I have been spending much time in the Word of God. Also I have been diving into some great books. Please continue to pray for this ministry daily and also for Gods leading for me when the semester is over. It finishes about May 26th.. I am praying about being able to intern or serve in some CC church possibly in California and also re: the front page of SI there is an Ukraine mission trip that I am applying to go. There are many doors open to travel over the states and serve in a few places during the summer so please do pray that God gives me direction for these things.

One great truth the Lord has been really teaching me is to enter into His rest.. [b]being[/b] and not [b]doing[/b]. God desires for us to be more like Jesus. Once we are more Christ-like then the places we are supposed to go to and do will be clear. We will be effective in every area and situation if we are being like Jesus.

Hebrews 4:1: Let us therefore fear, lest, a promise being left us of entering into his rest, any of you should seem to come short of it.

1 Peter 4:7: But the end of all things is at hand: be ye therefore sober, and watch unto prayer.

Do pray also for Gods favor to be able to show an Leonard Ravenhill video: "The Judgement Seat of Christ" video in DVD in the main autorodium one night before the semester ends. One brother here has been duplicating DVD's of Ravenhill and Oswald J. Smith. I am excited about this to see these spreading around campus and stirring students to the Lord in a more powerful way.

Quote:
Definitely praying! Especially when I was awaken at 3:00 in the morning by the craziest thunder and lighting storm I've ever experienced in California. Still raining today and I heard the rain fall has been more severe in LA, so I definitely prayed that you got in safely. Actually... by now you would have arrived in LAX.

Its amazing to think that I have been in California for almost 3 months. It has really seemed like yesterday but I am amazed that I am here and so blessed. I am learning so much life experience and about God. Thank you all at SI for supporting me in everyway thus far. I really have a spirit of expectancy for what God is doing in my life. I can't wait until the next step and opportunity, which is almost daily :-D

2005/4/11 22:58Profile
sermonindex

Online!
 Re:

[b]Update: April 19th[/b]
The Lord has really been gracious to me in the last few weeks. I have had some great times of fellowship and classes are going great. Thank you for all that are praying and keeping me before the Lord. I am starting to realize how important the prayers of the saints are for all things relating to the Kingdom of God.

Quote:
Do pray also for Gods favor to be able to show an Leonard Ravenhill video: "The Judgement Seat of Christ" video in DVD in the main autorodium one night before the semester ends. One brother here has been duplicating DVD's of Ravenhill and Oswald J. Smith.

This is a great praise report that the Lord led me to a brother that knew a friend that could do this reproduction of the DVD's! this definetly was the Lord and I have been giving some copies of the DVD's of the judgement seat of Christ away to some brothers. God has really had divine appointments for me to give them away! Please continue to pray that I can show the judgement seat video in the audoturium at the school where [b]many[/b] could come and watch it. I am sure it will lead into a great time of corporate prayer, I would love to see this event work out, so please pray!

I am ontop of all my assignments and work its been so great to work on topics that I so readily enjoy. Its such a joy to read the bible and study it. I missed an opportunity to go and visit Zac Poonen, he was preaching about 7 hours away in northern california. A few brothers from the site went to hear him! You can hear the audio of it here: [b]Two Great Secrets Revealed[/b] Part 1 / Part 2

As many of you know I have applyed with Kelly and Yolanda from Calvary Chapel Escondido to go on a mission trip to Ukraine you can read more about that here: Ukraine thread. There is need for prayer support and also financial support. The trip will be from the middle of june to early july of this upcoming summer. Please pray for me learning russian! God has really been blessing me with the desire and motivation to learn the language so I can at least show the kids that I will be ministering to that I care. Who knows what else the Lord will use it for or the plans He has.

There are lots of other great things happening and I would ask that you pray for me as I seek the Lord on many issues and things to do with my life.

I am very blessed to be able to share these things with brethren across the world at SI.

2005/4/19 16:14Profile

©2002-2019 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy