SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : Articles and Sermons : George Whitefield Quotes.

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
sermonindex

"Pilgrim and Sojourner." - 1 Peter 2:11

Online!
 George Whitefield Quotes.

George Whitefield (1714 - 1770, 56 years)

Go to bed seasonably, and rise early. Redeem your precious time: pick up the fragments of it, that not one moment of it may be lost. Be much in secret prayer. Converse less with man, and more with God.-- GEORGE WHITEFIELD

Venture daily upon Christ, go out in His strength, and He will enable you to do wonders.-George Whitefield , letter: 26 July 1741

The renewal of our natures is a work of great importance. It is not to be done in a day. We have not only a new house to build up, but an old one to tear down. George Whitefield

Be content with no degree of sanctification. Be always crying out, "Lord, let me know more of myself and of thee." -- George Whitefield ,letter:

Gladly shall I come whenever bodily strength will allow to join my testimony with yours in Olney pulpit, that God is love. As yet I have not recovered from the fatigues of my American expedition. My shattered bark is scarce worth docking any more. But I would fain wear, not rust, out. Oh! my dear Mr. Newton, indeed and indeed I am ashamed that I have done and suffered so little for Him that hath done and suffered so much for ill and hell-deserving me.
George Whitefield (1714-1770), letter to John Newton

Jesus was God and man in one person, that God and man might be happy together again. -- George Whitefield

If I see a man who loves the Lord Jesus in sincerity, I am not very solicitous to what communion he belongs. The Kingdom of God, I think, does not consist in any such thing.-- GEORGE WHITEFIELD

Let a man go to the grammar school of faith and repentance before he goes to the university of election and predestination. -- GEORGE WHITEFIELD

Works? Works? A man get to heaven by works? I would as soon think of climbing to the moon on a rope of sand!-- GEORGE WHITEFIELD

It is an undoubted truth that every doctrine that comes from God, leads to God; and that which doth not tend to promote holiness is not of God. GEORGE WHITEFIELD

2005/1/1 11:36Profile
hredii

Fresno CA

Re: George Whitefield Quotes.

These I got from the Evidence bible by Ray Comfort.

"That is the reason we have so many "mushroom" converts, because their stony ground is not plowed up; they have not got a conviction of the Law; they are stony-ground hearers"

2005/1/18 18:19Profile
hredii

Fresno CA

"After we are renewed, yet we are renewed but in part, indwelling sin continues in us, there is a mixture of corruption in every one of our duties; so that after we are converted, were Jesus Christ only to accept us according to our works, our works would damn us, for we cannot put up a prayer but it is far from that perfection which the moral Law requireth. I do not know what you may think, but I sin I can do nothing without sin; and, as one expresseth it, my repentance wants to be repented of, and my tears to be washed in the precious blood of my dear Redeemer."

2005/1/18 18:31Profile
hredii

Fresno CA

"I was honored today with having a few stones, dirt, rotten eggs, and pieces of dead cat thrown at me"

2005/1/18 18:46Profile
hredii

Fresno CA

"The Christian world is in a deep sleep; nothing but a loud shout can awaken them out of it!"

2005/1/20 14:36Profile

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Affiliate Disclosure | Privacy Policy