SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : Speaking in tongues

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )
PosterThread

Re:

Quote:
Yes. A person who is filled with God's spirit will have the fruits of the Holy Spirit.

Umm... there is a difference between the "fruits of the Spirit" and "spiritual gifts".

Quote:
God gave the gift of the Holy Spirit (Holy Ghost) to the church before they could make a theology of it; and today man gets so caught up in the theology of it all that they won't accept the gifts that God has given them.

I believe it was the Apostle Paul who delivered the theology of it... just sayin'...

You make it sound like anyone who loves and studies theology is incapable of exercising spiritual gifts or is against them, and that simply is not the case. Thats a mischaracterization.

It's not theology that quenches the Spirit. If that were true then Paul was a Spirit quencher.

People confuse theology with legalism.

The reason why the "church" is in the shape it's in is NOT because of too much theology, but because of a lack of theology and sound doctrine.

Krispy

Krispy

2011/10/18 9:15
twayneb

Joplin, Missouri

Re:

Given the topic of the thread I thought I would include an account of a recent event. The 14 year old daughter of a friend of mine recently went on a missions trip to the Dominican Republic. She had previously received the baptism of the Holy Spirit. She is somewhat shy about social interactions where she does not know the people she is talking to as most 14 year old girls seem to be. She was on the street with her group when they encountered a man in need of healing in his back. Many bilingual teens were following them hoping to be paid to interpret so she asked one of them to interpret and, against her own human nature, laid hands on the man to pray for him. She said she had not prayed a sentence or two when she felt the anointing of the Holy Spirit and began to pray in tongues. When she finished she opened her eyes and saw the man and the interpreter staring at her wide eyed. She asked what was the matter. The interpreter told her, "You just prayed for this man's back to be healed in perfect, fluent Spanish and we both understood every word you said." She had no clue what she said and knows almost no Spanish at all.
Praise God for the gifts of the Spirit.

2011/10/18 10:05Profile
neemia

North Carolina, USA

Re:

Great example. Same thing happened to my grandfather. After a prayer, someone approached him and told him, "You prayed so beautiful in the German language." He had no idea he prayed in German.

2011/10/18 10:17Profile
neemia

North Carolina, USA

Re:

@KrispyKrittr

I know. I didn't say they are the same :)

2011/10/18 10:18Profile
dietolive

Re: Krispy

I would agree dear Brother

The same Spirit that inspired Paul's theology inspires the Spiritual Gifts too. They are always in complete agreement, (Theology and Spiritual Gifts), because the Author of both is the one and the same Spirit.

Consider the apostle:

I recall that Paul was a brilliant intellect; from a rich and cosmopolitan city. His father must have been wealthy, and he was evidently brought up well-to-do, as is evident from his being "born" with the privileged status of "Roman Citizenship."

Furthermore, with is family's connections, he must have received the best education available, both from the Greeks and from the Jews.

And then, when Jesus got a hold of him, he had to give up all of his attainments and every bit of his prestige. But one thing he did keep was his mind, and God would use every bit of it in Paul's later ministry.

The same apostle who was mighty in word, who was mighty in theology, was mighty also in the Gifts. And he taught us that the gifts are given to all believers, individually, as the Holy Spirit chooses:

"But the manifestation of the Spirit is given to every man to profit withal.

For to one is given by the Spirit the word of wisdom; to another the word of knowledge by the same Spirit;

To another faith by the same Spirit; to another the gifts of healing by the same Spirit;

To another the working of miracles; to another prophecy; to another discerning of spirits; to another divers kinds of tongues; to another the interpretation of tongues:

But all these worketh that one and the selfsame Spirit, dividing to every man severally as he will." I Corinthians 12:12-13

From I Corinthians 12:12-13, we see that all true believers have already been baptized by the Spirit, and yet the Scripture above prove that all do not speak with tongues:

"For as the body is one, and hath many members, and all the members of that one body, being many, are one body: so also is Christ.

For by one Spirit are we all baptized into one body, whether we be Jews or Gentiles, whether we be bond or free; and have been all made to drink into one Spirit." I Corinthians 12:7-11

The apostle tells us all to first desire the "more excellent way", which is "LOVE", or as it is elsewhere called: "the Fruits of the Spirit", (for we are promised every one of them), and rather submissively wait upon the Lord, and accept whatever Gift He may decide to give us, trusting in His infinite and benign wisdom to give what is best suited for each of us.

Be well,
Doug

2011/10/18 10:21Profile
rufnrust

Indiana

Re:

Amen Lisa

Ruf

2011/10/18 10:27Profile

Re:

I beg to differ. The letter kills, the Spirit gives life. The church abandoned the Holy Spirit when they turned to men called the 'church fathers' for their life. The church became an organization, not the organism she was in Acts. The living, dynamic church became a dead institution of religion. Ecept for a few bright spots which were snuffed out the church was dead.

We see in other parts of the world a vibrant faith that burns bright for Christ. What we have in America is a dead church that theology has killed. What do you think cessation is? A desd theology to kill the Spirit. We got correct theology and doctrine coming out the wazoo. But ain't got no power.

Blaine

2011/10/18 10:43

Re:

Twayneb… excellent account. I have read of similar accounts from missionaries around the world. That is the gift of tongues that we see in Acts 2. We also see it elsewhere when they “spoke in tongues and prophesied”, which simply means that they declared the truth… the word. They were not standing there prophesying the future or something like that, that would not make any sense. No, they were declaring the truth about Jesus in an earthly language.

Krispy

2011/10/18 10:44

Re:

Quote:
We see in other parts of the world a vibrant faith that burns bright for Christ. What we have in America is a dead church that theology has killed. What do you think cessation is? A desd theology to kill the Spirit. We got correct theology and doctrine coming out the wazoo. But ain't got no power.

Acutally... with Biblical illiteracy at an all time high, and Biblical ignorance at an all time high... how you can believe that the church is dead because of an over emphasis on theology is beyond my comprehension.

One of the gifts of the Spirit that Paul says is much more important than tongues is "teaching". And all of Pauls letters were theological thesis.

Granted and agreed, knowledge without love is dead. No argument there. But the church is dead because it's full of so-called "love"... but no truth!

With commands such as "study to show thyself approved" all over the NT I dont know how we can ignore it and say theology and sound doctrine is not important. Read 1&2 Timothy and Titus.

Read Romans...

Krispy

2011/10/18 10:50
dietolive

Re: Krispy

Amen Brother Krispy. This is wisdom.

2011/10/18 10:53Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy