Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Devotional Thoughts : Post-mortem kindnesses ~ J.R Miller

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
hmmhmm

Sweden

Post-mortem kindnesses ~ J.R Miller

(J. R. Miller)

Do not keep the alabaster boxes of your affection sealed and laid away—until your friends are dead. Fill their present days with tenderness. Speak your words of commendation, while their ears can hear them! The things you mean to say when they are dead and gone—say before they go! The flowers you mean to send for their coffins—send beforehand to brighten and sweeten their homes, before they leave them forever!

I have often said—and I know I speak for thousands of other weary, plodding toilers—that if my friends have vases laid away, filled with the perfumes of sympathy and affection, which they intend to break over my dead body—I would far rather they would bring them out now along my toilsome days and open them—when I can enjoy them and be refreshed by them!

Post-mortem kindnesses do not cheer the burdened spirit. Tears falling on the icy brow of death, make poor and too tardy atonement for coldness, neglect, and cruel selfishness in life's long, struggling years. Appreciation, after the heart is stilled in death—has no inspiration for the departed one; it comes too late, when it is pronounced only in funeral eulogies. Flowers piled on the coffin—cast no fragrance backward over weary days.

2011/10/17 15:12Profile
HeartSong

Re: Post-mortem kindnesses ~ J.R Miller

"Flowers piled on the coffin—cast no fragrance backward over weary days."

2011/10/17 15:37Profile

Excellent post. Many men despise emotions for in them they believe their is weakness and unreliability. Better to trust and to love than not to love at all for love is surely seen..........brother Frank

2011/10/17 16:16

(Luke 7:11-15) "Soon afterward Jesus went with his disciples to the village of Nain, and a large crowd followed him. A funeral procession was coming out as he approached the village gate. The young man who had died was a widow’s only son, and a large crowd from the village was with her. When the Lord saw her, his heart overflowed with compassion. “Don’t cry!” he said. Then he walked over to the coffin and touched it, and the bearers stopped. “Young man,” he said, “I tell you, get up.” Then the dead boy sat up and began to talk! And Jesus gave him back to his mother."

(John 5:25, 26) "And I assure you that the time is coming, indeed it’s here now, when the dead will hear my voice—the voice of the Son of God. And those who listen will live. The Father has life in himself, and he has granted that same life-giving power to his Son."

(Proverbs 18:21) "Words kill, words give life; they're either poison or fruit — you choose."

You only get about 70 or 80 (Psalm 90:10). Spend your life resuscitating the dead, encouraging the weary (Isaiah 50:4), and coming underneath people and esteeming them higher than yourself.

2011/10/18 20:33

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy