SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Looking for free sermon messages?
Sermon Podcast | Audio | Video

Discussion Forum : SermonIndex Announcements : SermonIndex Featured in Ministries Today Magazine

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
sermonindex

"Pilgrim and Sojourner." - 1 Peter 2:11

Online!
 SermonIndex Featured in Ministries Today Magazine

SermonIndex was recently featured in the [i]Sept/Oct 2004 Issue[/i] issue of the [b]Ministries Today[/b] magazine. http://www.ministriestoday.com

*I will try and scan the original article in from the magazine.

[img]http://www.sermonindex.net/images/cover003.gif[/img]

[b]Portable Inspiration[/b]
[b]An online MP3 archive offers free access to 4,000-plus classic sermons.[/b]

The ubiquitous Christian tape ministry may have gone the way of the bison, but one Web site is bringing classic preaching and teaching audio into the 21st century.

Sermon Index (www.sermonindex.net) Webmaster Greg Gordon was skeptical about the prospect of true spiritual renewal in North America until he picked up Leonard Ravenhill's classic Why Revival Tarries. The book inspired 25-year-old Gordon to dive into the writings of David Brainerd, A.W. Tozer, Charles Spurgeon and other preachers of the past.

"These old people had a grasp on revival," Gordon says. "There's a loss of depth in modern-day preaching in the areas of doctrine and discipleship."

In December of 2002, God gave Gordon a vision for getting classical preaching online, and he began the process in his free time while working as a Web developer at the University of Toronto.

Gordon designed a Web site, digitized and archived audio tapes to MP3 format and networked with various ministries to gain access to new files. (The late A.W. Tozer's family granted Gordon access to all of the preacher's recordings.)

Less than two years later, Sermon Index offers more than 4,000 audio and video files, and articles from more than 125 preachers and teachers, both well-known and obscure. While visitors to the site may listen to the files online, Gordon says many burn them to CDs or rip them onto portable MP3 players to listen later.

How does the site cover its costs? Shortly after launching Sermon Index, Gordon was laid off from his job and has devoted his energies fulltime to increasing the size of the archive.

"It hasn't taken a lot of money," he says. "I've had people volunteer from around the world."

Additionally, although the files are available free of charge, Gordon accepts donations on the site, and revenue from banner ads helps offset the cost of the site.

"My philosophy is 'freely you have received, freely give,'" Gordon says. He allows--and encourages--other Web sites to copy his files onto their own servers so that they will be available to more people.

Although he hopes the ministry will grow to the point that it will be eligible for nonprofit status, Gordon believes he is just one small piece in God's plan.

"I feel like the boy with the loaves and fishes," he says. "God wants to use the small things."

--
article found online here:
http://www.ministriestoday.com/a.php?ArticleID=9662

2004/12/30 16:33Profile
mdc

North East Georgia Mountains USA

Re: SermonIndex Featured in Ministries Today Magazine

Hello Greg,

Excellent article about Sermonindex and you. Your making internet history for the Lord my friend! God has a great plan laid out for your life, just keep your youthful energy to succeed and your vision open unto the Lord and you will grow mighty in mercy and grace.

God Bless!

Rev Michael D. Copper

2004/12/30 22:42Profile
sermonindex

Online!
 Re:

Quote:
Excellent article about Sermonindex and you. Your making internet history for the Lord my friend!

Thanks for the encouraging words brother Michael! Yes I am very happy with the article and how they represented my words very well in the interview. There is something so precious in these old sermon recordings that the Lord is un-earthing in these days. I am excited in continuing to find other old gems and storehouses of truth. And my biggest prayer is people in our day will catch a glimpse of these old truths and allow them to change and mold their walk with God. We are in need of spiritual giants.. who do ministry on their knees.

2004/12/30 22:48Profile
crsschk

Santa Clara, CA

Re:

Love it!

This is great brother. Makes one wonder just who is out there listening in, reading through all the discussions in the forum, the articles...

Quote:
Your making internet history for the Lord my friend!

I like that, I really like that! :-)

2004/12/31 0:49Profile
disciplejosh

Southern California

Re: SermonIndex Featured in Ministries Today Magazine

Quote:
"My philosophy is 'freely you have received, freely give,'" Gordon says.

Nice, bro. Sounds...familiar. Almost scriptural. j/k

It is nice to read an article where they are quoting real straightforward and not spinning anything. It's actuall REALLY rare to read anything like that any more, other than the Word.

2004/12/31 1:39Profile
philologos

Reading, UK

Re:

Good to see this article. Keep your heart open my brother and your head down. There never were palms without stones for dessert. 8-)

2004/12/31 4:52Profile
sermonindex

Online!
 Re:

Quote:
Good to see this article. Keep your heart open my brother and your head down.

Thanks brother for the encouragement. I have my eyes on the Lord totally.. its awesome as He shares this resource with more people. keep praying everyone.

2005/1/16 16:19Profile

©2002-2019 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy