Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Our Life Is a Vapor

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
moreofHim

Our Life Is a Vapor

Our life is a vapor.

"Only one life, twill soon be past, only what's done for Christ will last."

My family and I have been very concerned and our hearts have gone out to those who are in Southern India and Asia. My oldest daughter, especially, has been concerned because she has a heart for the asian people. Thailand was one of the places she was wanting to go to be a missionary (if the Lord willed it to be so). She recognizes that in a few years, that could have been her there.

Someone asked me recently about my thoughts about all of this and where repentance comes in. How many people in America just look at this as another news story. How many people take advantage of the fact that we are "here" where it is "safe". I had just been listening to John Piper's message on "Don't Waste Your Life"- which is very appropriate and here was my immediate reply:

"God's hand is in ALL things. Every whip of the wind, every wave of the ocean, every breath we breathe, whether He chooses or WILLS us to live and breathe this moment or whether He chooses (or WILLS) to take our life away in the next hour. Everyone should be in awe of this and live their life according to this knowledge. Our life is in His hands, We are His to do with as He pleases. I would hope that no one would choose to waste this time they have in foolish things. Eternity should be constantly on our minds. "

To read Piper's message "Don't Waste Your Life: http://www.desiringgod.org/library/topics/suffering/dont_waste_your_life.html

To read Piper's response to the Tsunami: http://www.desiringgod.org/library/fresh_words/2004/122904.html

"Jesus could weep over people's heartbreaking losses (Luke 19:41; John 11:35). And the Bible tells us plainly, “Weep with those who weep” (Romans 12:12). But when the racking emotions are eased a bit, the questions come, and Jesus does not settle the issues with sentimentality. He deals with ultimate reality. He deals with God and sin and judgment and salvation.

He says in effect: Are you astonished at the death of the Galileans? Are you astonished at the deaths of those who were crushed when the tower of Siloam fell? [b]I will tell you what to be astonished at: be astonished that the tower did not fall on you[/b]. If Jesus were here tonight, and we came to him with the death toll from the earthquake in Iran asking him to give an accounting for God, one of the things he would say is: “Be astonished that this hotel has not collapsed with you in it. For unless you repent, you will all likewise perish.” Which means all of us deserve to die right now and to perish." -J.Piper (Don't Waste Your Life)

"I will tell you what to be astonished at: be astonished that the tower did not fall on you."

I just keep thinking about that statement.

The Lord gives and the Lord takes away. Blessed be the name of the Lord.

In His love, Chanin

2004/12/30 12:43Profile
Rahman

Re: Our Life Is a Vapor

Wow, it sure is nice to see a sister Chanin thread again ...

You quoted;
"Our life is a vapor".

Amen, but how come we never think of it as such unless something really devestating occurs ... On 9/11 we Americans, the most carnally preoccupied people on the planet certainly wasn't concidering that our lives were a vapor, then WHAM we got slapped, thought about it for between 6 to 9 months, and then it became those poor folks in the planes and towers, their lives were as a vapor ... And now it's back, if not worse, to business as usual ... Which leads me to your next statement ...

Quote;
"Someone asked me recently about my thoughts about all of this and where repentance comes in. How many people in America just look at this as another news story. How many people take advantage of the fact that we are "here" where it is "safe".

What repentance? ... As you already know the majority of folk, saints included, don't see ourselves as in need of repentance, and certainly not like that prescribed in Joel chapters 1 & 2 ... i'd dare say that the majority of saints in the US, and alas preachers think, "I am rich, and increased with goods, and have need of nothing" ... Except maybe some more "riches" and "goods" ... The majority of we Americans (including saved) are looking at this devastation halfway around the globe in the same manner we tend to look at any other suffering, as "spectators", on our 32" TV's and Plasma Screens, oh those poor, poor people ... and why? ... Because just as you said, we Americans feel safe, we're such a vast land, such a huge herd seemingly insulated from such devestation as has occured in Indonesia ... And such a vast herd that even the threat of another terrorist attack makes most Americans think that when it happens again it won't get them, unless they live in or around a high risk district ...

You continued;
"God's hand is in ALL things. Every whip of the wind, every wave of the ocean, every breath we breathe, whether He chooses or WILLS us to live and breathe this moment or whether He chooses (or WILLS) to take our life away in the next hour. Everyone should be in awe of this and live their life according to this knowledge. Our life is in His hands, We are His to do with as He pleases. I would hope that no one would choose to waste this time they have in foolish things. Eternity should be constantly on our minds. "

God's hand is in all things ... You and i may know that but in my listening to the news i keep hearing the newsmen refer to this astronomical devestation as a natural occurence ... Why? ... Because this planet has always had such occurences, just not always such populations dwelling in so vast congregations ... So the question comes to my mind, "Where do such seemingly natural occurences cross the line from naturalness to instruments of God's judgment"? ... The 9/11 terrorist attack disturbed our slumber for a hot minute and then we were back into deep sleep ... i've recieved quite a few calls from saints since this Tsunami who're now asking me what i think also, and i tell them i think this is just the beginning ... But this i know, given enough time to elapse on this horrendous seemingly natural occurence without repeated follow up, like 9/11, most Americans will go right on back to sleep ... i think the thing that seperates a "natural occurence" and God's use of natural occurences as a means of His judgment is summed up in this phrase "increased escalating magnitude and frequency" ... That is why i've said that from 2005 onward i'm expecting God to show His miraculous unmistakable almight hand ... It's like having a fellow boxer on the ropes, it's the increased intensity and magnitude of your flurry that lets him know you're intent on taking him down ... If in fact God is about to pound the wind out of the world, it's gonna be one thing right after another ... God has His adjustments in store for America too, hitting us all where it will certainly hurt us the most, in our hyper materialistic lifestyles, and i believe He'll do it with a combination of devestating blows to our infrastructure thru increased seeming natural occurences, allowance of increased terroristic terrors, and most assuredly the falling of our economy ... A sad parting from our Plasma Screens, X-Games, Game Boys and all others of our small little Laban idols ... Christ is determined to bring us back to Bethel a second time ...

Ha! .... ha! ... an American not wasting our time on foolish things? ... We're the number one maker and waster of time on foolishness on the planet ... Americans care only for life, liberty and especially the pursuit of happiness ... Thought of eternity will only enter the mind of America once were forced on our faces prostrate before God ...

You ended;
"He says in effect: Are you astonished at the death of the Galileans? Are you astonished at the deaths of those who were crushed when the tower of Siloam fell? I will tell you what to be astonished at: be astonished that the tower did not fall on you. If Jesus were here tonight, and we came to him with the death toll from the earthquake in Iran asking him to give an accounting for God, one of the things he would say is: “Be astonished that this hotel has not collapsed with you in it. For unless you repent, you will all likewise perish.” Which means all of us deserve to die right now and to perish." -J.Piper (Don't Waste Your Life)

"I will tell you what to be astonished at: be astonished that the tower did not fall on you."

I just keep thinking about that statement.

Amen ... me too ... and soon, and very soon, we're gonna have a lot of company in America regarding that statement ... That is if we've still been blessed by Him to escape the falling towers, for they will be many ... Amen

2004/12/30 14:02Profile
soulrehab

Traverse City, Michigan

Life is short! We do not know if today is the date that they put on our head-stone.
I was almost killed in a motorcycle accident. I was on the ground not breathing but still alert as I thought "This is it.". I had time to pray, "God take care of my family."
Then I thought I died. Well, God was not done with me!
Live each day ready to say "good-bye" and ready to say "hello" to eternity.
A favorite quote of mine is; "When it comes time to die, make sure all you have to do is die." Jim Elliot -Taken from Through the Gates to Splender.

Tim Manzer
Traverse City,
Michigan

2004/12/30 14:30Profile
Am_Lovin_HIM

Phoenix, Arizona

Sister Chanin,

Sister Chanin and Rahman, I rejoice in seeing you both. The true fellowship shared here on SermonIndex is such a blessing. Please pardon me if the thots seem to ramble but see them in the spirit, as I have not done much writing.

Recently there has been an awakening in my spirit from the Lord.
In the mornings when my eyes first open, the first thing, which comes to mind, is a prayer of thanksgiving for His hand upon my life. Walking around the house pondering about the scriptures recently read and a prayer comes forth. Situations that happen during the day cause a prayer to come forth. I find myself waking in the middle of the night, praying. Sometimes it is in my prayer language and other times it is with the yearnings within my own spirit. I sometimes remember what is spoken and sometimes all that is remembered is that “He has spoken” to my spirit. It is those times when He has spoken to my spirit that I long for most.

Jesus tells us we are to pray always (Eph 6:18), pray without ceasing (1 Thes 5:17), pray for one another (James 5:16), pray everywhere (1 Tim 2:8), pray for all men and prayer for our leaders (1 Tim 2:1-2).

Seeing the devastation of this Tsunami causes my heart to be heavy. My heart aches with the mothers who have lost their children, I cry with the wives loosing husbands, and husbands loosing wives, children who have lost their families, I cry as whole family lines are blotted out. Yet there is a deeper cry within my spirit, that is, did they know you, Jesus? That answer, we’ll never know here on this earth. Only He knows! If they did know Jesus, we can rejoice with them for they are now home!

I am not being cold nor callous when I say, Hallelujah!, Our God is a God of the living! Now, with the survivors of this Tsunami, will their hearts be drawn to the ONE who can give them the answers? Will their hearts be drawn to Jesus, Yeshua? Will they repent and draw near to Him for strength in the coming days, will they be comforted? We can PRAY for that as believers.

Quote:
"Jesus could weep over people's heartbreaking losses (Luke 19:41; John 11:35). And the Bible tells us plainly, “Weep with those who weep” (Romans 12:12). But when the racking emotions are eased a bit, the questions come, and Jesus does not settle the issues with sentimentality. He deals with ultimate reality. He deals with God and sin and judgment and salvation.

I am not quite sure how this next statement fits in but: After watching the ABC news special on the Tsunami’s aftermath last night, I laid in my bed listening to Bro. Leonard Ravenhill speak on “The Judgment Seat of Christ” I found myself crawling out of my “nice, comfortable, warm bed” and getting on my knees, prostrate before the Lord crying out for mercy. Crying out for mercy not only for myself, but also for the “Americanized Western Church,” who have lost site of the wonderful plan of Salvation laid out before all. Praying for mercy for those who are now leading others to hell with the doctrine of “another Jesus” not the Jesus of the Bible!
We have only seen the first of many things to come which will cause American Christians to see what it means to lay our all down for Christ, to count the cost in our serving the Master, as our European brothers and sisters do daily. Will we be able to stand in that day?

Quote from Chanin:
Someone asked me recently about my thoughts about all of this and where repentance comes in. How many people in America just look at this as another news story. How many people take advantage of the fact that we are "here" where it is "safe".

Quote from Rahman:
What repentance? ... As you already know, the majority of folk, saints included, don't see ourselves as in need of repentance, and certainly not like that prescribed in Joel chapters 1 & 2. I’d dare say that the majority of saints in the US, and alas preachers think, "I am rich, and increased with goods, and have need of nothing" ... Except maybe some more "riches" and "goods" .. insert:(Laodicea church, Rev 3:14-22)
The majority of we Americans (including saved) are looking at this devastation halfway around the globe in the same manner we tend to look at any other suffering, as "spectators", on our 32" TV's and Plasma Screens, oh those poor, poor people ... and why? ... Because just as you said, we Americans feel safe, we're such a vast land, such a huge herd seemingly insulated from such devastation as has occurred in Indonesia. And such a vast herd that even the threat of another terrorist attack makes most Americans think that when it happens again, it won't get them, unless they live in or around a high-risk district...
God's hand is in all things ... You and I may know that but in my listening to the news I keep hearing the newsmen refer to this astronomical devastation as a natural occurrence ... Why? ... Because this planet has always had such occurrences, just not always such populations dwelling in so vast congregations ... So the question comes to my mind, "Where do such seemingly natural occurrences cross the line from naturalness to instruments of God's judgment"? ...The 9/11 terrorist attack disturbed our slumber for a hot minute and then we were back into deep sleep ...I’ve received quite a few calls from saints since this Tsunami who're now asking me what I think also, and I tell them I think this is just the beginning.

I share a portion of what I was given in prayer time recently:
This world is changing fast and what lies ahead for America will be catastrophic in nature. I (the LORD) call and no one listens. No repentance, instead they shake their firsts in my face. They are of their father, the devil. The untoward wickedness of this people will cause them to perish. They say with their lips but their heart and actions they contradict what they say. They are a perverse generation and they have left their “first love.”
A nation scurrying about with buy, buy, buy, get more, they satisfy the lust of their eyes, the lusts of their flesh and the boastful pride of life. Just as Eve partook of the same lies and by Adam, all have sinned. People are trying to fill the void in their lives that can only be filled with My presence and My Salvation!
Look at them, do they look happy? NO, for within each of their hearts, they are in prison and I hold the key! I have defeated the enemy but they must be turned back to My LOVE, My forgiveness and My purpose! As you sit here and write this, countless souls are crushed and satan drags them into hell.

My heart aches for my creation. I made the way for them to share eternal life with Me and yet, they turn their backs on Me. PRAY, FAST AND STUDY MY WORD, for the day is at hand…
Listen My children to my heart beat. HEAR MY WORDS, for by them alone you will live!
I AM holy, I AM righteous, I AM Truth, I AM that I AM and I will be glorified.
SEEK ME while I can yet be found, for there will come a day when men shall cry out and I will not hear. For they cry out with wrong motives in their hearts!
My children hear Me, listen with your spiritual ears. Be determined. Be diligent, Stay connected to my umbilical cord, My Word brings you life. I AM your Father and I know My purpose for you, each of you and all of you. … Watch for My coming, for I, the Lord have spoken this to you.
Quote from Chanin:

Let us not slip. By that I mean, let not God’s Eternal plan of Salvation which by grace we have received, slip from being the priority of our lives.
Let us pray for those survivors of this Tsunami, that: the God of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of glory, may give unto them the spirit of wisdom and revelation in the knowledge of Him: That the eyes of their understanding may be enlightened: that they may know what is the hope of His calling and what the riches of the glory of His inheritance is. (Ephesians 1: 17-18)

With this thought, I close: For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, saith the Lord, thoughts of peace, and not of evil, to give you an expected end. Then shall ye call upon me, and ye shall go and pray unto me, and I will hearken unto you. And ye shall seek me, and find me, when ye shall search for me with all your heart. And I will be found of you, saith the Lord: and I will turn away your captivity, and I will gather you from all the nations, and from all the places whither I have driven you, saith the Lord; and I will bring you again into the place whence I caused you to be carried away captive. Jeremiah 29:11-14

Let us be cautious not to regard any iniquity within our hearts, so that our PRAYERS may be heard of our Father, through the name and blood of Jesus Christ…

Grace to all,
I Am_Lovin_HIM

2004/12/30 16:55Profile
moreofHim

Re: expectation

I am also waking up early in the morning wide awake and with expectation. With a sense of purpose- but don't know what it is yet. I feel like I did right before the birth of my children, when you need less sleep and you know that there is much to be done and you must be used to less sleep. You feel that everything must be ready and in it's place for this baby. I have felt this way for about two weeks now.

I can not understand the thinking of American Christians. They listen to the same messages as I listen to. They read the same bible and read the same books, yet they are content to play golf every week and join the country clubs and buy more adult toys, to escape reality by watching movies almost every night of the week.

I told my 15 yr. old daughter the other night that I wish all golf stores would blow up. I know that is a zealous statement and do not really mean it- but this kind of thing is so accepted among christianity. Get a bunch of men together to go golf and "fellowship". Why not get a bunch of men together and build homes for the homeless while they fellowship????

When disaster comes to America, the people will not know what to do. They are too dependant on their soft lifestyle. They are too dependant on their doctors for every kind of way of living, mentally, emotionally and physically. Pills. pills and more pills. What would we do without our bi-weekly golf outing, our daily Starbucks, our daily dose of Zoloft or that daily night cap to take off the "edge"?

Sorry. My zeal continues to grow and I am actually keeping it "under control' right now. :)

In Him, Chanin

2004/12/30 17:20Profile
Am_Lovin_HIM

Phoenix, Arizona

Re:

Sister Chanin,

AMEN!!! Preach on sister. Never be sorry for the zeal that that Lord places on your heart.
I am with you with an expectancy in my spirit. Not sure why but it is there all the same.

We need to encourage people to get off their cushy chairs and step out of their comfort zones.

Sister Dorothy

2004/12/30 17:46Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy