SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : Ezra 2:61-63 - Examine your hearts, priests of the Lord

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
Jeremy221

Ezra 2:61-63 - Examine your hearts, priests of the Lord

Brothers and sisters,

I was lead to share on this passage today at the breaking of bread. The passage reads;

Ezra 2:61-63 (KJV)
61And of the children of the priests: the children of Habaiah, the children of Koz, the children of Barzillai; which took a wife of the daughters of Barzillai the Gileadite, and was called after their name: 62These sought their register among those that were reckoned by genealogy, but they were not found: therefore were they, as polluted, put from the priesthood.[] 63And the Tirshatha said unto them, that they should not eat of the most holy things, till there stood up a priest with Urim and with Thummim.

The people had just returned to the Land and their numbers were being counted but when it came to these families of priestly decent, they were forbidden from partaking of the sacrifice because of their uncleanness by intermarriage with the heathen. And yet, their ability to share in the sacrifices was due to review upon asking the Lord through the Urim and Thuumin, lest we rely only on our own understanding.

I feel there is an application to taking of the Lord's Supper in an unworthy manner. Today, we are of the priesthood under the New Covenant so likewise, we must be sure to be clean when partaking of the sacrifice of the Lord Jesus Christ. The potential sin of these priests was that they had intermarried with a mixed people. Gilead was located on the east side of the Jordan among the tribes that abandoned the Lord and prostituted themselves with the nations. We are called to repent from turning to the World.

2011/10/9 13:41Profile
Jeremy221

Saved by works?

I should add that I was accused of promoting a works based righteousness. Am I missing something in the Gospel?

I'm confused because these men are older than I and may have more familiarity with the Word. And, yet, when the issue of the Spirit witnessing to your own spirit that you are saved, they brush it off and start quoting the "Biblical Assurances" proof texts.

2011/10/9 18:37Profile
MyVeryHeart

Paradise, California

Re: Saved by works?

Brother Jeremy221,

I will pray about this situation. I think we do have a responsibility as those who have received eternal life to:

Keep yourself "unspotted from the world" James 1:27.

and to "keep yourselves from idols" 1 John 5:21.

It is not that these things make us righteous. Only Christ does that. But we do have responsibility, right?

I am also not the oldest believer, and I certainly am not greatest saint. But I do love Jesus, And I hope that maybe the above verses will help. God bless you brother.

In Grace,

Travis

2011/10/9 19:08Profile

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Affiliate Disclosure | Privacy Policy