SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Purpose of Prophecy - What Say You

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
Solomon101

America's Heartand

Purpose of Prophecy - What Say You

Prophecy is never given to establish doctrine. The Bible is the only source of doctrine. Prophecy may be given to reveal the strategic or tactical will of the Lord but never for establishing doctrine. Therefore, our basic understanding of things such as God’s judgments must come from the Scriptures, not prophecies, and certainly not from our own opinions, desires, or prejudices.

Some also think that if they accurately predict an event, then the doubters will believe. This seems to rarely be the case. When Jesus performed some of His greatest miracles, it only enraged the legalists more, so that they wanted to kill Him. It is good to not speculate about how people will respond to the prophecy, but rather keep our devotion to simple obedience, and let the Lord use them as He will. Usually for everyone who receives a prophet there will be many who reject them. Consequently selfish ambition has no place in a prophetic ministry and will only distort that ministry to the degree that it gets in.

2011/10/7 18:03Profile
Creation7

Re: Purpose of Prophecy - What Say You

Spot on, Solomon101!

2011/10/7 18:14Profile
StarofG0D

United States

Re: Purpose of Prophecy - What Say You

Rev_19:10 And I fell at his feet to worship him. And he said unto me, See thou do it not: I am thy fellowservant, and of thy brethren that have the testimony of Jesus: worship God: ..........

for the testimony of Jesus is the spirit of prophecy.

2011/10/7 20:48Profile
MyVeryHeart

Paradise, California

Re:

Amen StarOfGod

"And I fell at his feet to worship him. And he said unto me, See [thou do it] not: I am thy fellowservant, and of thy brethren that have the testimony of Jesus: worship God: for the testimony of Jesus is the spirit of prophecy" - Revelation 19:10

saying with a loud voice, "Worthy is the Lamb who was slain, to receive power and wealth and wisdom and might and honor and glory and blessing!" Revelation 5:12

He is worthy!

Hallelujah!

2011/10/7 22:28Profile

Re:

1 Corithians 14:3-4

But everyone who prophesies speaks to men for their strengthening, encouragement, and comfort. He who speaks in a tongue edifies himself, but he who prophesies edifies the church.

So do the gifts of prophesy and tongues still exist in the church today?

Blaine

2011/10/8 0:55
Lysa

East TN (for now)

Re:

Quote:
martyr wrote:
So do the gifts of prophesy and tongues still exist in the church today?

It really depends on which church you go to (so few allow the gifts to operate).

The church I go to... definitely so! During times of worship in my quiet time I tell the Lord, like Peter did, "Lord, to whom would we go? For you have the words of eternal life" and they are life unto my soul.

God bless you,
Lisa

2011/10/8 9:12Profile

©2002-2019 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy