SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : What is salt that has lost its saltiness?

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread

What is salt that has lost its saltiness?

Jesus talks about this in 3 different places in the gospels. I think it means Christians that haven't purified themselves from a life of sin and eventually the Holy Spirit moves away from them. Does anybody think it means something else?

2011/10/5 1:58
beekpr

Re: What is salt that has lost its saltiness?

I believe Jesus means, when He says "Ye are the salt of the earth" that the righteous, godly lives of believers are to influence society around them in a positive way. When those who claim to be believers no longer live holy lives ("lost its savour"), God may allow persecution to purify the church. "Good for nothing but to be trodden under foot of men" to me suggests this.

2011/10/5 5:29Profile
Enochh

Indianapolis

Re:

I agree more with endzones way of thinking. but I wish to address this notion that if you don't live a holy/godly life God will allow persecution. Jesus said those that desire to live godly will suffer persecution. (example the pastor in Iran and the church in china,korea etc.)Thus we can conclude from His (Jesus) statement that those that don't won't suffer
persecution. (example the spineless politicly correct wishy washy American church)

2011/10/5 6:48Profile
luke673

Tennessee

Re:

I have to agree with beekpr on this one. Jesus also said that we are the light of the world. the salt and the light.we are to influence society and be living examples of Christ. The beleiver that is backslidden is not being an example to the world for Jesus. In all things we are to bring an example of Jesus to the world. We are to be there light just as he was there light. And there salt to spread the gospel. the salt that has lost its flavor , I think, is those that have turned to false doctrines. I beleive that if the salt loses its flaver then the lord will take it out of this world. I dont agree with the part about persecution, all christians that are living for christ will suffer persecution. christ said they did it to him and we are no better than out master.

Love with all your heart soul and mind
luke

2011/10/5 7:43Profile
White_Stone

North Central Florida

Re: What is salt that has lost it's saltiness?

In my understanding it is a lukewarm Christian.

Revelations of Jesus Christ 3:15 I know thy works, that thou art neither cold nor hot: I would thou wert cold or hot. 16 So then because thou art lukewarm, and neither cold nor hot, I will spue thee out of my mouth. 17 Because thou sayest, I am rich, and increased with goods, and have need of nothing; and knowest not that thou art wretched, and miserable, and poor, and blind, and naked:

2011/10/5 15:32Profile

Re:

Thank you all for your responses. I'm not sure what this passage means. I think Jesus is saying that the salt without flavor isn't good for much of anything. I really don't understand this verse. I guess this type of salt can't be restored. Jesus said, "how will you get the flavor back"? I'm paraphrasing of course. I still don't really understand this, and I wonder if we know of anyone that has lost their "flavor"? Can they ever get it back? I was wondering if this had happened to me. Thanks again for your answers, but I'm still not sure exactly what this is.

2011/10/5 20:13
beekpr

Re:

I need to clarify myself regarding my statement about persecution. I agree that those who are committed to Christ will suffer persecution. I, myself, have experienced enough opposition from the enemy of my soul to know this. I would better have said instead of persecution that I believe that God,s punishment will fall upon nations such as ours where professing Christians no longer uphold truth and righteousness. This may include physical persecution of believers.
However, I have a hunch that my latter statement could arouse more negative feedback than the former.

2011/10/5 22:58Profile

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Affiliate Disclosure | Privacy Policy