Discussion Forum : General Topics : Relativism among Professing Christians

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread
MichaelLiao

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Relativism among Professing Christians

Has this ever happened to you?

Where you tell a professing Christian or a Catholic about a verse in the Bible and then interpret it for them with proper Biblical Context and Revelation from the Holy Spirit, and their response to you is, "Well, that is your interpretation of the Bible!"

In other words, those are the responses you get from professing Christians who do not want to hear Biblical truth in their ears, but rather have their ears scratched with some sugar?

Sometimes I find it difficult to reach out to these people, as they have some Bible knowledge, they've been to church, yet the truth of Christ is not being branded in them, thus they assume themselves saved. I've been called a legalist, a Pharisee, and received a few responses of "Oh, that's your interpretation of it" or "that's how you want that verse to be interpreted."

The reason I post this is because a friend walked up to me at my University Campus, he's a professing Christian, and he starts criticizing me at the lunch table. About what I'm doing wrong, how I'm not dealing with my family properly (just to let you all know, I do experience persecution in my home), and saying that something may go wrong if I continue down this road (basically referring to him seeing my passion for Christ/I do not boast in saying this as it is the grace of God).

So I started to give him scriptures and giving him biblical context to what it says and how I ought to live by the Word of God, and then next thing you know he says, "Well the Bible can be interpreted in many different ways, no one is perfect." Of course that should not give us an excuse to not seek God and to be left in a defeatist mentality. And secondly, we have the indwelling Holy Spirit who teaches us these things.

Then he says, "I care for you, I'm speaking this from how I feel and from my heart." But we all know Jer. 17:9, "The heart is deceitful above all things and desperately wicked, who can know it?" I had to tell him that unless his counsel speaks from the Word of God, then I cannot take this counsel, as a little leaven leavens the whole lump.

My question right now brethren who are on the SI forum, how do I deal with this kind problem? I mean I can just go and fire off Scripture as John 17:17 says, "Your Word is truth." But just to let you all know, I can easily borderline on legalism at times. God has been working on me to be more loving and peaceful with these people, as during that day I was calm with this man, though he judged me on many things. Things are not perfect around here in my home, so if any of you want to keep me in your prayers then please do so. If anybody has had this problem of relativism, then please do post something here, I do need some counsel at the moment.

In Christ,

- Michael Liao

2011/10/4 0:47Profile
beekpr

Re: Relativism among Professing Christians

Hello, brother,

I don't want to be prying, but it may be important to focus on what the problems are that you alluded to regarding your family. Too often Christians drive away unbelieving spouses by pushing on them to change rather than loving them and privately praying for them and allowing the Holy Spirit to work on their hearts. This may not be the case with you, but could you clarify as to what these "things are not perfect"issues are? Since our relationships with our families are one of the most important ways of living out our commitment to Christ the rest of our experience is negatively affected if this is not as it should be.

Praying,

beekpr

2011/10/4 5:49Profile

Quote:
Where you tell a professing Christian or a Catholic about a verse in the Bible and then interpret it for them with proper Biblical Context and Revelation from the Holy Spirit, and their response to you is, "Well, that is your interpretation of the Bible!"

Happens every day right here on this forum!

Krispy

2011/10/4 6:54
Renoncer

Michael,

I commend you for your perseverance in the matter. As you grow in your faith, you'll find that there are times to speak the truth, and other times when this would be like casting pearls before swine. There is a time to answer a fool according to his folly, and there is a time not to answer a fool according to his folly. Pray for wisdom, and trust that God can redeem your mistakes.

Not knowing the circumstances, I cannot tell you exactly how to react to your friend, or your family. The Bible does say that children must obey their parents in the Lord, and that you must honor your parents. (Are you the one whose parents have idols, and you were asking an old lady - Mrs G. - whether or not you should go and destroy these idols?) Inasmuch as it goes with God's will, you must obey and honor your parents. If you want to share with them the fact that they are breaking God's Law and that they will stand guilty before God on Judgement Day, and that their only way of being blameless before God is to accept the righteousness of His Son, Jesus Christ; then you must do so with care and gentleness. 1 Timothy 5:1 says "Do not rebuke an older man, but encourage him as you would a father".

Nevertheless, you cannot go wrong with a thorough study of the Word of God.

You may be interested in John MacArthur's book entitled "The Truth War", (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fnO7tAI6UT4) and the following resource: http://www.desiringgod.org/resource-library/conference-messages/the-challenge-of-relativism

May God bless you richly and keep you in His grace.
In Christ Jesus,
Renoncer

2011/10/4 7:16Profile
jimp

Re:

hi,the reason there is a commandment to honor our father and our mother is in some cases they are not worthy of honor.what is more natural than honoring good parents. my conclusion is that this command is for those who have awful parents that you need to honor in their home especially.harshness was never used by Jesus when dealing with sinners but was saved for those who were hard on sinners or profitted in the temple.His first miracle He told His mother no Nd when she insisted He complied.never worry about other peoples biblical problems but worry about your own and love those around you.jimp

2011/10/4 8:12Profile
Lysa

East TN for now!

Brother MichaelLiao, the ultimate and final message of the Bible is “LOVE” and it’s not about how well we know the word of God and use it against someone. If you do that in your home instead of choosing to love then possibly could that be why you are persecuted?

Jesus didn't say what He knew constantly from the Bible when He was being tried and even convicted. He kept his mouth closed and loved them, sometimes that the best thing we can do with our family and friends.

God bless you,
Lisa

2011/10/4 9:45Profile
MichaelLiao

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Re:

Hmmm...

Maybe I should've been more specific about my story with my family. It's not that I go off firing off Scripture at my parents or family. It's just that they try to prevent me from gathering with other brethren especially at my church. And during the summer my dad tried to threaten me by saying, "If you continue down this road, I'm going to sell the house and go back to China!" Which was absolutely traumatizing....I know in Timothy it says that a person who neglects the family is worse than an unbeliever. And yes, I do try my best to honor my parents, yet of course if my parents get me to sin, then I must do otherwise.

In Christ,

- Michael Liao

2011/10/4 9:52Profile
MyVeryHeart

Paradise, California

Brother,

All who desire to live Godly lives in Christ Jesus will be persecuted. You are blessed. I have learned that many times when the persecution comes it is good to be silent like a sheep before its shearers. Other times the Holy Spirit will give you words to speak. Remain close to Jesus Christ and ask him for wisdom. He will give you wisdom. God bless you brother. I will remember you in my prayers.

Peace in Christ,

Travis

2011/10/4 9:53Profile
MichaelLiao

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Re:

Hello Renoncer,

When you refer to "Mrs. G.", do you mean Mrs. Greening? And if yes, may I ask who you may be?

In Christ,

- Michael Liao

2011/10/4 11:10Profile
Renoncer

Re:

Michael,

Yes, we have the right person alright! Mark's mother. She is such a wonderful woman of God. She took care of me after I nearly died from perimyocarditis (even though she was 84 at the time). May God reward her for all that she has done for His sake. She has been praying for such a long time, and now, the Lord has answered her cry and brought prayer in the church. Praise God for working through such a simple woman. She always says that she is uneducated, but I think that's probably why God poured out so much more of His grace through her, since she could not take any glory for herself. God receives more glory when He works through lowly instruments.

We can talk more if you want. Send me an e-mail at [email protected]

In Christ,
Renoncer

2011/10/4 11:33Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy