SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Got the headcovering issue - but where does the dress come in?

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
SolaVeritas

SK Canada

Got the headcovering issue - but where does the dress come in?

Head covering, or not, has now has been discussed at length and the issue has been settled with me a while ago but something related to it is confusing me. I have never seen a women who covers her head wearing pants at the same time (well, I have - in my mirror).
Why is this one old covenant law so fused to new covenant instructions as if they were one? Here we have Paul's instructions to the church in 1 Corinthians 11 (and please let's not repeat everything that was already said about that) and then we pick out one of the mosaic laws, Deuteronomy 22:5, and at least in practice, make this as binding as the other one.

If Deuteronomy 22:5 is binding for me than I also can't wear clothes of wool and linen woven together and have to make tassels for the four corners of my cloak. I'm not really serious in saying that, we all know that we are no longer slaves to the Law so what's different about this one? I know that it mentiones this to be an abomination to the Lord - but what exactly is the abomination? Pants? When those instructions were given both men and women wore a dress like garment. I can not imagine this law to mean anything else than that a women should not pretend to be(dress like)a man in order to be assumed to be a man and take on the role of a man. And vice versa for men not to pretend to be(dress like)a women. All with intention to deceive. Now when I wear pants I don't wear men's clothing, don't look like a man nor do I want to look like or be a man or pretend I am a man for whatever reason.

I understand instructions about modesty and choose slacks and longer vests or shirts to go with the pants for church. I also understand the inward submission to both the Lord and my husband to be the reason I cover my head to pray. It is not that I never wear skirts but I have prayed about this and don't feel any pressure to do so exclusively until such a time when the Lord asks it of me. I am not entirely opposed to change in that area but so far see it as a man made interpretation of the law of which we have been set free.

It would be interesting to hear what those have to say who practice both as well as those who practice just one or the other and how you interpret that verse in Deuteronomy.

2011/10/4 0:24Profile
sermonindex

"Pilgrim and Sojourner." - 1 Peter 2:11

Online!
 Re: Got the headcovering issue - but where does the dress come in?

I thought it was interesting in one movement of churches in america they have a standard in these areas and have some scriptural support for it. I do not agree with everything but agree with the tenor of what is being said and think it would do well for many evangelical churches to have more of a standard on these issues:

12. CHRISTIAN APPEARANCE:

We believe and confess that God’s people should regulate their appearance by clear scriptural principles.

Gospel order and purity requires neatness and cleanliness. Matt. 6:17; I Thess. 4:7; I Tim. 2:9, 10; Rev. 19:8.
Clothing and personal appearance shall maintain distinction between the sexes. Deut. 22:5; I Cor. 6:9; I Cor. 11:4, 5, 14, 15.
Brethren and sisters wear modest apparel which covers and conceals the body. I Tim. 2:9, 10.
Clothing shall exemplify gospel simplicity and be free of all evidence of pride, display, or adornment. II Cor. 1:12; I Peter 3:3; I John 2:16.
The Bible forbids the wearing of gold, pearls, or costly array. I Tim. 2:9. Notice the attire of the Babylonian harlot. Rev. 17:4. See also the rich man’s apparel. Luke 16:19.
Further, the Bible forbids following the changing fashions of the world. Rom. 12:2; I Thess. 5:22; Titus 2:11, 12; I Peter 1:14.
Brethren are to be free from the shame of long hair. Sisters will wear their hair long. They cover their heads with a distinctive Christian veiling. I Cor. 11:6, 14, 15.

2011/10/4 0:39Profile
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Re: Got the headcovering issue - but where does the dress come in?

Sola,

Have you ever considered what it means when people engage in cross dressing?

How would you respond to a male dressed like a female?

What do you think?

ginyrose

2011/10/4 19:53Profile
JB1968

Ohio USA

Re:

It is an abomination to the LORD as Dt. 22:5 says. Simple.

Good summation on Christian apparel, Bro. Greg.
Thanks,
JB

2011/10/4 20:15Profile

©2002-2019 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy