Discussion Forum : General Topics : (moving) Immigration from the USA to Canada

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 (moving) Immigration from the USA to Canada

Saints,

Is there anyone on sermonindex who has done this or has expertise or experience in this process? Me and Brandy are getting Married later in October and God willing moving up to Canada. I am currently working on the immigration process and would love your prayers but also any advice or help even if someone has had great experience with this.

Thank you brothers and sisters.

2011/10/1 11:51Profile
hulsey

Missouri

Re: (moving) Immigration from the USA to Canada

She may just want to become a resident alien. The United States does not allow dual citizenship and if she becomes a citizen of Canada this could potentially make it complicated if you two wanted to move to the U.S.A. in the future.

2011/10/1 13:02Profile
ccchhhrrriiisss

Re:

I agree with hulsey. She may want to remain an expatriate/US citizen simply if she has family still living in the United States. As a US citizen living abroad, she would still enjoy the protections of a citizen while also being permitted to travel between the U.S. and Canada. And, as our brother said, it opens the doors to residency in the US later.

A quick Google search seems to reveal that this can be a tedious process, but it is easier and more expedient if this is done from OUTSIDE of Canada.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/fc.asp

I suppose that there are other options. One website mentioned contacting Canadian immigration about "landed immigrant" status (that doesn't actually hold a requirement of owning land). Another possibility while waiting may be to have your wife work (with SermonIndex) in some capacity and obtain a work permit while waiting for other paperwork to go through.

I will remain in prayer for this, Greg! We are excited about this union...and know that God can direct such immigration issues as easily as he can control the direction of a river.

2011/10/1 13:32Profile
Lysa

East TN for now!

Re: (moving) Immigration from the USA to Canada

Marriage to a U.S. Citizen & Fiancee Visas

http://www.immigration.ca/us/usmarriage.asp

2011/10/1 13:51Profile
SolaVeritas

SK Canada

Re:

As the brother mentioned above, do not let her take up residence here and then apply from inside Canada. It's not a matter of easier/faster but of Immigration laws.

My brother-in-law brought in his fiancee basically as a visitor, married her here in Canada and then applied for her to stay. She eventually obtained that permission but Immigration Canada did not take kindly to the messing with their rules, done innocently or not. It is preferable to endure longer waiting times, even separation over exposing your future wife to the interrogations and court proceedings that I've seen my sister-in-law go through. Knowing that you would want to do things properly anyways, Immigration Canada will provide you with all the instructions you need.

I really haven't got any concerns that the Lord's hands wouldn't guide you in this matter and everything will turn out just fine.

2011/10/1 14:28Profile

Re:

Try this questionnaire on the Canadian Government site,

http://www.cic.gc.ca/app/ctcvac/english/index?utm_source=short-url&utm_medium=short-url&utm_campaign=come-to-canada

2011/10/1 18:31

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy