SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : General Topics : HEADCOVERING FOR WOMEN by Zac Poonen

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 Next Page )
PosterThread
MyVeryHeart

Paradise, California

Re:GinnyRose

Thank you for the testimony sister GinnyRose,

I am so thankful that this has been brought up.

Every man praying or prophesying, having [his] head covered, dishonoureth his head (1 Corinthians 11:4).

I enjoy spending time outside alone with God. And it was cold outside so I went to grab a hat and the Holy Spirit kept prompting me to leave it behind. So I just obeyed his voice. The Lord has truly blessed me with his guidance.

In Grace,

Travis

2011/10/2 22:59Profile
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Re: Dealing with opposition, pt. 3

Dealing with opposition

In the course of living, wearing a covering, I have met with opposition to this practice. There is one incident that remains forever imprinted in my memory.

We attended a funeral of my husband's aunt in FL. At lunch I sat across the table from the wife of my husband's cousin. She was a very religious woman who did not grow up in a religious home at all. They professed to be very good Christians.

As we visited Corrie (not her real name) took it upon herself to convince me that I should cut my hair. She waxed eloquent...I sat there, my head down, wondering how on earth I will respond to her arguments. But I knew one thing from my experience at working at CPC: God will give me the words to say when I need to speak, and more so if I have no clue how to respond.

As Corrie talked something strange happened: I heard her well, but could not comprehend it at all. This disturbed a tad bit, but did not worry me. I did wonder how I am going to answer her when I have no clue what she said! I waited for the voice to stop and when it did, I knew a response was expected, but what was I to tell her? I did not understand a word she said. I looked up and said, "Corrie, I have wanted to...." and then the strangest thing happened! She quickly pushed her chair back and she ran hard from the room! She never did ask me what I was going to say!

Why did she respond like that? I suspect, and feel certain, she saw something, someone which I only suspected, and it frightened her to no end! God took care of my problem! Now, isn't He wonderful!
More to come...next time I plan to share incidents of God's supernatural intervention in the lives of his daughters in dangerous situations.

2011/10/3 0:21Profile
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Re:

God bless you, Travis. It is so encouraging to me to hear of others' sensitivity to the voice of the Holy Spirit.

God bless you, brother.

2011/10/3 0:22Profile

Re:

"I plan to share incidents of God's supernatural intervention in the lives of his daughters in dangerous situations."

Ginnyrose, do you truly believe that those who do not wear 'something' on their heads, do Not have marvelous testimonies as well? Women who have served GOD overseas or in City Streets or those who are now in Heaven, who's writings are listed here on SermonIndex? Or our fellow Sisters that have even posted here, over these last 9 yrs?

This is not to be seen as "opposition" to anyone's personal convictions but just some thoughts that consider the "all" in the Body of Christ world-wide, both present and past.

I certainly would defend to the hilt, anyone's right to wear a head covering - though these early church quotes are saying for faces to be covered as well. So be it, for those who do cover their faces as well, as the Angels that cover their faces with two of their wings while they cry, "Holy, Holy, Holy" [and those humans that cover their faces with their hands, crying out the same] - but now to make it as a way to judge the holiness of other churches, fellowships or individuals if they don't where a veil is disastrous.

One thing that I have witnessed this custom do - unless the covering is only used when a woman prays or prophesies, is to make men get tempted even more if they see a Sister in The LORD showing her hair. We are now making the showing of "hair" as a sex symbol when it never was before - unless it is intentionally "styled" to be a focal point. But plain hair is not a stumbling block for the vast majority of Brothers and they're used to seeing their sisters at church with conservative hair and it's not been a stumbling block in the least ... but once you make the hair of a women a sex symbol, that you claim will cause a man to stumble - you've just injected a new thought into the men and now they can't even look at the Sisters in their fellowships without thinking of that.
What a shame for those Great Churches and Fellowships out there that practice Holiness in every way, yet don't wear "the veil". [ A bonnet is not a veil and it's the "Biblical veil" that this thread is about.] But as I've asked elsewhere - what have we allowed here, within this last year, by not correcting towards [because of the fear of men or of losing our 'place'?] the important issues of sanctification?

I very much respect my sisters who do wear whatever on their heads - but must say that it is extremely unfair to countless women who live extremely consecrated lives but don't feel led by THE LORD to now begin to wear this loosely defined head/face covering and to throw these blanket pronouncements and condemnations at them all. Some risking their lives, as we speak, around the world to rescue any perishing. Those that only read Christian literature and only listen to such - that fast often and sacrifice all that they have and are for the Love of Christ yet don't wear whatever on their heads because they have searched it out and have been taught that it is cultural in nature or merely a personal preference, these should not be judged.
Laying this on All, everywhere, irrespective of the country where they live, all of the fellowships or individuals [like Gwen Wilkerson, just for one of Many of our older Saints and those Sisters in Heaven now, like Corrie Ten Boom] that this thread lambastes and even condemns, should be an unthinkable action, as we have most of the Classic Preachers of old here, that demanded no such thing, not even the old revivalists, and yet we praise them and have grown up in The LORD on them. And on this particular forum, this particular year, it's appears a complete contradiction of the sacred term of keeping 'TRUE holiness' among us all. Eph 4:24

If perchance, we're not the type to keep a watch on world events and think we'll see our children's children's children or children at all - I'd like to warn that once these fires of chaos, immorality, war, food shortages, riots, etc raze this nation, as they're right at our door-step now, 'then' will we put these type differences behind us and realize the only 'true holiness' that lasts, goes much much much deeper than what we all wear or don't wear on our heads.

In His Love.

2011/10/3 0:56

Re:

"I plan to share incidents of God's supernatural intervention in the lives of his daughters in dangerous situations."

Ginnyrose, do you truly believe that those who do not wear 'something' on their heads, do Not have marvelous testimonies as well? Women who have served GOD overseas or in City Streets or those who are now in Heaven, who's writings are listed here on SermonIndex? Or our fellow Sisters that have even posted here, over these last 9 yrs?

This is not to be seen as "opposition" to anyone's personal convictions but just some thoughts that consider the "all" in the Body of Christ world-wide, both present and past.

I certainly would defend to the hilt, anyone's right to wear a head covering - though these early church quotes are saying for faces to be covered as well. So be it, for those who do cover their faces as well, as the Angels that cover their faces with two of their wings while they cry, "Holy, Holy, Holy" [and those humans that cover their faces with their hands, crying out the same] - but now to make it as a way to judge the holiness of other churches, fellowships or individuals if they don't where a veil is disastrous.

One thing that I have witnessed this custom do - unless the covering is only used when a woman prays or prophesies, is to make men get tempted even more if they see a Sister in The LORD showing her hair. We are now making the showing of "hair" as a sex symbol when it never was before - unless it is intentionally "styled" to be a focal point. But plain hair is not a stumbling block for the vast majority of Brothers and they're used to seeing their sisters at church with conservative hair and it's not been a stumbling block in the least ... but once you make the hair of a women a sex symbol, that you claim will cause a man to stumble - you've just injected a new thought into the men and now they can't even look at the Sisters in their fellowships without thinking of that.
What a shame for those Great Churches and Fellowships out there that practice Holiness in every way, yet don't wear "the veil". [ A bonnet is not a veil and it's the "Biblical veil" that this thread is about.] But as I've asked elsewhere - what have we allowed here, within this last year, by not correcting towards [because of the fear of men or of losing our 'place'?] the important issues of sanctification?

I very much respect my sisters who do wear whatever on their heads - but must say that it is extremely unfair to countless women who live extremely consecrated lives but don't feel led by THE LORD to now begin to wear this loosely defined head/face covering and to throw these blanket pronouncements and condemnations at them all. Some risking their lives, as we speak, around the world to rescue any perishing. Those that only read Christian literature and only listen to such - that fast often and sacrifice all that they have and are for the Love of Christ yet don't wear whatever on their heads because they have searched it out and have been taught that it is cultural in nature or merely a personal preference, these should not be judged.
Laying this on All, everywhere, irrespective of the country where they live, all of the fellowships or individuals [like Gwen Wilkerson, just for one of Many of our older Saints and those Sisters in Heaven now, like Corrie Ten Boom] that this thread lambastes and even condemns, should be an unthinkable action, as we have most of the Classic Preachers of old here, that demanded no such thing, not even the old revivalists, and yet we praise them and have grown up in The LORD on them. And on this particular forum, this particular year, it's appears a complete contradiction of the sacred term of keeping 'TRUE holiness' among us all. Eph 4:24

If perchance, we're not the type to keep a watch on world events and think we'll see our children's children's children or children at all - I'd like to warn that once these fires of chaos, immorality, war, food shortages, riots, etc raze this nation, as they're right at our door-step now, 'then' will we put these type differences behind us and realize the only 'true holiness' that lasts, goes much much much deeper than what we all wear or don't wear on our heads.

In His Love.

2011/10/3 0:56
MyVeryHeart

Paradise, California

Re: GinnyRose

Sister,

What a blessing to hear about how the Lord has watched over you. It truly encourages me. I know that the Lord will continue to hold you as the apple of his eye and be a wall of fire around you. And he would hold you as an arrow in his quiver(For the weapons of our warfare [are] not carnal, but mighty through God to the pulling down of strong holds;) - 2 Corinthians 10:4.

Love in Jesus Christ our Lord,

Travis

2011/10/3 1:02Profile

Re:

Why do I think of Saudi Arabia when I view this thread?

Blaine

2011/10/3 1:05
passerby

Re:

Among moslems the principle behind ""hijab" is modesty. In his letter to the Corinthians, wearing of veil (a sort of) among women in Christian assemblies, the apostle Paul's
emphasis is submission, and that it is proper for Christians to observed this practice.

2011/10/3 2:25Profile
ccchhhrrriiisss

Re:

I would like to mention that something about the claim that has been repeated here and elsewhere that says that it was typical for women to wear "head coverings" or hats until the 1960s.

I have spoken to many elderly brothers and sisters in the Lord about "the old days" -- and I have even brought this subject up inquisitively. My grandmother and great-grandmother (very sincere believers) rarely wore them (and never out of compulsion). We have photos of my grandparents, great-grandparents, great-great-grandparents and even a couple of photos of my great-great-great-grandparents -- all of them who proclaimed Christ -- and I haven't seen any cloth "head coverings" (other than an occasional hat or bonnet).

I have seen many photographs, paintings and etchings as well from the 1800s where women -- dressed in their "Sunday best" -- didn't wear any sort of cloth "covering" upon their heads. You can even use Google and search for photos from the 1800s and find many photographs of women without cloth head coverings or hats. I even found quite a few photographs of Billy Sunday and others preaching, and few of the women in the meetings were wearing a cloth covering or hat.

Now, it was undoubtedly a part of the style of some to wear cloth coverings (and it was even vogue to wear stylish hats for some). However, I feel that it is incorrect to say that it was "typical" or even "normal" behavior for women to wear such things until the 1960s.

2011/10/3 2:41Profile
passerby

Re:

1Co 11:1 Be ye followers of me, even as I also am of Christ.

1Co 11:2 Now I praise you, brethren, that ye remember me in all things, and keep the ordinances, as I delivered them to you.

It seems clear that one of those ordinances instructed by Paul as the apostle to the gentile Christians is the wearing of head covering of women during Christian assembly.

Especially in occasions where they have to say something, such in corporate prayer or prophesying.

2011/10/3 3:06Profile

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Affiliate Disclosure | Privacy Policy